help locating oil filter

Featured Posts

Hi folks,

My engine was previously fitted with a hydraulic grade oil filter, but I have been advised (both by previous owner and by mechanic) to replace it with an engine oil grade filter.

The trouble is finding the equivalent filter. The current filter is a FRAM p6809. Can't find it on the FRAM website.

The WIX replacement for this part is 51546 (details here: http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=51546). Both myself and my local car parts emporium have called WIX to enquire about a compatible replacement. WIX have responded that they have no engine oil filters with this thread.

I don't require it to be the same size, only to have the same thread (according to WIX, this is 3/4-14, I haven't measured the original part, will do tonight).

Can anyone help? It seems surprisingly difficult to search manufacturers without knowing an existing part number.

Many thanks in advance,

Sass

Folks missed the point that hydraulic fluid is thinner of different composition than engine oils - especially for older power plants which were originally design to run on mono viscosity oils.

My guess is that you'd need a lot more pressure to force a thicker lube through an hydraulic filter??

Anyone prepared to correct me????

Found one, thanks to all who replied.

In case anyone's curious, it's an LHH1518 bought from "filtermania". Thanks to the member who suggested that.

I think that number format is the internal system used by Filtermania for hydraulic filters, might be worth double checking.

The 3/4"-14 thread is usually described as BSP, and is of course closer to 1" diameter when you measure it.

There are filters with 1"-14 UNS threads, but all the ones I can find are for fuel.

The next best option would be M26 x 1.5, and there are a good few oil filters available in that size. Obviously it's slightly under on the major diameter, but the pitch is off (1.5 mm pitch = approx 16tpi) however this may not be an issue over such a short length of thread in the filter.

Worth a look? Others will be along to comment shortly!