What's East of Castleford?

John P

Featured Posts

Yes, I think as well as pointing out the good places we should also warn him about the sh*tholes (at the risk of offending Lady M)

Edited to say that of course the OP won't have time to get anywhere near the Trent, but Keadby I think also falls into that category.

Growing up in Knottingley was excellent training for living in Tottenham. I hear you all on Ferrybridge, it's pretty grim.

I've just remembered mooring on some secure moorings at ferrybridge, behind some formidable spiked palings. Watermate key lets you out to get to the nearby shops.

That sounds like the VM's but the last we moored there the lock was missing.

Missing or just left open?

See above, missing. IIRC there is a 'tab' on the gate to take a padlock but it's no longer there.

If I'd had a spare on the boat I would have just used that as we were the only boat on the moorings. I would have just took it off the next morning.

• 1 month later...

As the OP I think I should let you know of my experiences in Dragon/Ogre country. Had a couple of days to spare on the Leeds to Sowerby Bridge transit so we decided to go to to Selby and back. Now this isn't chintzy/ Home Counties cruising, but it was worth the effort. A mix of river (meandering mightily in parts) canal cuts, and at the end the Selby canal quite isolated but charming and not overgrown as was suggested. It was fascinating to see the large power stations in an otherwise featureless landscape seem to revolve round us as we negotiated the bends in the river. Lunch stop on the way out was Beale. Limited mooring on the lock approach and nothing in the village except two pubs. The one nearest to the canal (the hungry fox) looked like a "food led family pub" but was a great disappointment. No food at Sunday lunchtime and no real ale on the pumps. Only about 5 people there when we went in. They went as did we shortly afterwards to go to the Jenny Wren- scruffier, but hopping and doing a good Line in toasted sandwiches to be washed down with a pint of scruff. They were also doing Sunday lunches as a take away. Looked like a great community service.

Pressed onwards through the water skiing area (!) and though the canal to Selby basin. High winds made things difficult with nothing to shield from their effect on some stretches. It made it difficult to wind at Selby basin. If the local moorer on the other side of the basin who was gesticulating and shouting as I was winding reads this please note that I couldn't hear a word you were saying. If you were offering advice, thanks. I probably looked as if I could use it. If you were moaning I can't understand why. The wind was making larger waves that I was and though I was revving the engine it was only 5 in the evening and Solong does have a hospital silencer.

Anyhow, maybe a cool and windy Sunday night isnt the best time to explore Selby, but apart from the minster (very impressive) and the railway swing bridge across the Ouse , there didn't seem to be much else, or a big selection of eateries. I'm afraid we ended up in 'spoons! Stopped at the Nelson (nearest pub to the basin) for a drink. A friendly local with a good pint of ale (Scruffs again) but quite lively. I'm sure the couple grappling on the floor were doing it for a joke.

Selby boat services did an excellent and cheap pump out next morning and would have sold me diesel if they hadn't been awaiting delivery. Stopped for lunch at Knottingly but didn't go ashore. The canal side is pleasant and well maintained with several possible moorings. Last night on the section was at Cassleford. Nice walk into town by the river and over the new pedestrian bridge but the town itself seems very depressed. Hard time finding somewhere to eat and ended up in Wetherspoons (again!). Unfortunately, it seems to have had a "tesco effect" with several other local pubs closed down. The nearest pub to the moorings (the griffin) needs your support. Only the landlord and his missus were drinking there when we visited.

Only the landlord and his missus were drinking there when we visited.

It does really well on rugby days however - it was heaving inside and outside when I passed last week.

BTW - If the wind is being a PITA in Selby basin it usually means its blowing up or down the canal as it's sheltered by trees on the LT moorings side and the flats on the VM side, last time I was there I just turned the boat using ropes and the wind.

It does really well on rugby days however - it was heaving inside and outside when I passed last week.BTW - If the wind is being a PITA in Selby basin it usually means its blowing up or down the canal as it's sheltered by trees on the LT moorings side and the flats on the VM side, last time I was there I just turned the boat using ropes and the wind.

Absolutely correct. It was trying to blow me into the lock. Crew were still on the way from the swing bridge, so I tried to stuff the bows into the towpath edge and swing on that. No chance. Couldn't get the angle and had to wait until the crew could secure the bow rope.

Nice couple in the Griffin......let me leave my van in their car park for a week while was doing the next section. I thoroughly enjoyed my time east of Castleford, stayed on the moorings at Ferrybridge for a couple of nights fulfilling a boyhood wish....used to pass over the bridge on the old A1 when going on holliday as a child and remember seeing the barges and wanting to go there.

Nice couple in the Griffin......let me leave my van in their car park for a week while was doing the next section. I thoroughly enjoyed my time east of Castleford, stayed on the moorings at Ferrybridge for a couple of nights fulfilling a boyhood wish....used to pass over the bridge on the old A1 when going on holliday as a child and remember seeing the barges and wanting to go there.

The side opposite is a nice spot too if you ever cannot get on the VM's, just a bit further up towards the mill. It's not 'secure' as such but then neither are the VM's at FB these days.

There are large bollards or you can use chains.

Hi John, Glad you enjoyed your trip. I know exactly who you mean at Selby basin when you describe a man shouting and gesticulating. I've been reported by him for not having a licence number displayed on the boat ( explorer licence ) and been accused of ' bridge hopping ' on the Selby canal when i was in fact moored in Leeds on the 72hr moorings outside the crt offices. Not a bad man, just slightly unhinged. Anyway on the Derwent now.

Just been reading earlier posts about Keadby...when I was last there (2011) I arrived from West Stockwith with my tongue hanging outonly to find that the pub next to the moorings was closed and up for sale and the one on the other side of the cut just a short distance away was burned out! Never forgave the place and certainly didn't bother looking for chippies!

I agree. A friend joined us on the recent trip and they let him park his Beamer there for a couple of days.