Puddlejumper

Featured Posts

Notice Alert

River Trent

Monday 17 February 2014 until Friday 16 May 2014 23:59

Type: Navigation Closure

Reason: Maintenance

Update on 20/03/2014:

Whilst carrying out the planned repairs to the gate at Holme Lock, the floor of the lock downstream of the bottom gates suffered a failure resulting in a large ingress of water. Although the precise nature of the failure is under investigation we believe that weathering over many years of the mercia mudstone underlying the concrete floor has created sizable voids. These voids have allowed the passage of water to the underside of the lock floor. The removal of the water from the lock to carry out the works to the gate created a pressure head resulting in a force on the lock floor that has caused the damage.

Investigations are underway to define the extent of the problem and we anticipate that the design and implementation of a solution will soon be underway. As the extent of the voids is unknown, it is difficult to be precise at this stage, but we expect the solution will involve the grouting of the voids. Repairs to the gate are still proceeding, and so once the floor is repaired we can return to the planned works to replace the gate support and cill and re-install the gate.

We appreciate this delay will cause a great deal of disruption and we will do everything we can to get the lock back into full working order as soon as we possibly can, but our estimate at this stage is that the works could take up to the 16th May.

• 5 weeks later...

Does anyone know whether they are on schedule to re-open Holme lock? A passing boater has told me he thinks they may be 2 weeks late making it more like beginning of June!

The planned date is still the 16th May, the construction team seemed optimistic about achieving it.

Regards,

Lockie.

• 2 weeks later...

Still on track for 16 May according to Julian in the office yesterday.

Hoping to get a crane on site next week to life the gates back in, providing the concrete has cured sufficiently.

The there will be work to do on the cills before the piling is removed.

All this is "weather permitting"

• Greenie 2

We brought our NB out of Colwick Marina at Easter and moored on the lock approach at Holme lock and visited the workings several times over 4 days and as a Yorkshire man I would say there was more activity in a tramps vest than what we witnessed. Can I have a rebate on my Licence??? this lot are the left overs from BW and they seem even more workshy in the new jumpers they all wear !!! charitable trust ?? when they haven't a clue sorry but if we are to depend on this outfit for our holidays I can for see Butlins coming back in favour!

We brought our NB out of Colwick Marina at Easter and moored on the lock approach at Holme lock and visited the workings several times over 4 days and as a Yorkshire man I would say there was more activity in a tramps vest than what we witnessed. Can I have a rebate on my Licence??? this lot are the left overs from BW and they seem even more workshy in the new jumpers they all wear !!! charitable trust ?? when they haven't a clue sorry but if we are to depend on this outfit for our holidays I can for see Butlins coming back in favour!

Can you have a rebate?

No

But you can go the other way.

It's never a good idea to try to plan timings. Due to the nature of the canal/river infrastructure, things can go wrong. Our licence fee helps pay to keep everything going and to fix things when they fail.

I spoke to the lockie at West Stockwith this morning who told me that they are making good progress with Holme lock. I don't think it's helpful to just criticise CRT when things go wrong, we should also give them credit where due.