Wow! What a fantastic little barge.

Lochalsh

Featured Posts

Ok MtB.....I forgive you for your short comings and I appologise for mine....now can we pleeese talk about subjects surounding interior fit out ?

Sure. It's a deal!

A pink kitchen? WTF? Not a very boatmanlike colour is it? :)

MtB

Is she a boatman?

What do you think?

It's just another aspect of the boat in question that some buyers would love and some would hate. Although she is not in the market nor likely ever to be for a boat that costs so much she did comment on the kitchen and how much she liked it.

Besides that it is not something that would be particularly hard for any one to rectify if they liked the boat. Though as I said in my earlier post the work and cost of doing it might put some buyers off.

I'm a Terrible cook, so when I was with my wife (Now sadly Ex wife) I had nothing to do with the Color,functionality and little to do with the Design of the Galley area persay, I just built it and Dutifully eat what they produced.

The same as She had very little in put to my choice of Invertor or Battery Charger,She just used what they produced. EXCESSIVELY.

So each to there own,and I would tend to look past the relatively small cosmetic thingys that coul be changed over time.

Indeed, bet it looks even better under sail.

It does have the full sails but I've not had the chance to try out yet. This photo below is the same type of boat, my sails are white as well... It's really nice to handle with the large rudder, the boat is 7.5x2.5m, but the head height inside is under five foot at the lowest end.

3856238621_a3e215ced2_z.jpg

Looks much better under sail.

Not sure it would work all that well on a UK canal though....sailing, that is...

There's a good stretch of water near me, from the A&C to Selby Canal where there's no bridges and is fairly wide where I can try it out.

Not sure it would work all that well on a UK canal though....sailing, that is...

On the contrary, When I done the Crinan Canal & the Caledonian Canal there was loads of Sailing craft,with all sorts of shapes n sizes.

More sail type craft on the Crinan, but more actually Sailing on the Caledonian.

We get the occasional 'rag n stick' boater on our local waterways.

Often they are under power but you sometimes see them under sail if the wind conditions are favourable.

We get the occasional 'rag n stick' boater on our local waterways.

Often they are under power but you sometimes see them under sail if the wind conditions are favourable.

I expect we will be well and truely out numbered by them on our summer trip this year ohmy.png

We get the odd one or two on the Witham and a few on the Trent.

On the Mersey this morning. Would have looked better with video.

Mersey20_3_14_zpsa45da255.jpg

Tim

That's more like it.

It does have the full sails but I've not had the chance to try out yet. This photo below is the same type of boat, my sails are white as well... It's really nice to handle with the large rudder, the boat is 7.5x2.5m, but the head height inside is under five foot at the lowest end.

3856238621_a3e215ced2_z.jpg

Sorry, I just had a small accident in my trousers...

(Can't wait to get my boat re-rigged, and out on the Bristol Channel)

When I bought my recently purchased boat, I was looking at it on Apolloduck for over a month before I even contacted the seller. I knew unless something was seriously wrong with it I would be buying it!

Please, stop posting these pictures...

Well, in my mind, I was refering to a canal 'channel' where there's lock's and other such obstacle......tacking where there's no room to tack is rather tricky, but I get your point and i'm sure there must be one or two areas where sailing would be both do'able and still enjoyable to 'do'.

One of those small Dutch sailing barges would be quite nice to have on the Broads, I think.

Ahem!......The trouble with a sailing Barge, like many sailing craft, is that the interior layout is somewhat compremised by the inclusion of a mast, boom and sail....smile.png

Edited by Lochalsh

Lochalsh, on 21 Mar 2014 - 2:18 PM, said:

Well, in my mind, I was refering to a canal 'channel' where there's lock's and other such obstacle......tacking where there's no room to tack is rather tricky, but I get your point and i'm sure there must be one or two areas where sailing would be both do'able and still enjoyable to 'do'.

One of those small Dutch sailing barges would be quite nice to have on the Broads, I think.

Ahem!......The trouble with a sailing Barge, like many sailing craft, is that the interior layout is somewhat compremised by the inclusion of a mast, boom and sail....smile.png

Err we have locks up here too don't yah know. And they just lower the mast for the (much higher) bridges. Don't get me wrong you don't see huge numbers under wind power on the wide northern Waterways of Yorkshire but you do see them

You only did what often people do on here often do, you defaulted to thinking of a canal as a shallow muddy ditch, people sometimes forget they can be big wide and deep too, admittedly they are not in any where near the majority of the manmade system but a significant part of it, add in the connecting rivers too and it gives even more scope.

Well the Boom and Sail would have very little impact on the internal fit out,

And it's sort of common practice to create a Table around the Mast, or a Bulkhead just behind it thus creating a Galley or Cabin area or something like that,so again,minimal impact really.

But yep something to be incorporated in the design non the less.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

Well the Boom and Sail would hav very little impact on the internal fit out,

And it's sort of common practice to cteat a Table around the Mast, or a Bulkhead just behind it creating a Galley or Cabin area or something like that,so again,minimal impact really.

I'm thinking of removing the heads, which is tight to the mast pole. Reason being, that there is not enough room at present, for the better half, to swing around... Edited by luctor et emergo

...Last point.....I am not on this forum to make enemies. I take the time to be on this forum to hopefuly learn from those with experience in areas where I have not got experience.

I too am rather new to this forum, but, one thing I've noticed is that people here are more than willing to engage you in a lively, opinionated, debate wherein you will never agree, but they'll buy you a pint both during and after that debate. You won't make any enemies here just by not agreeing with the old timers, just remember to keep it courteous and no one will be your enemy just because you disagree.

• Greenie 1