Thames Trip

Old Son

Featured Posts

We are planning to take a trip from Limehouse down to Goring in August this year. I have a couple of queries that somebody with more experience could maybe answer -

I have a River only licence and know I will need an EA licence. Will the EA licence be

needed for the whole time I am on the Thames or only up as far as Teddington?

I will need a Canal licence, I plan to go in a Brentford on the way back and travel along

the Regents canal.

I know I need an anchor, life jackets and radio (with licence). I will also study the PLA

publication on the trip down the tidal section. Is there anything else that it is important I need to know?

I have looked up high tide times and it shows 7.30am on 4th August. Presumably I can leave an hour before?

I need to book myself in at Limehouse, how much notice will they need? Will I need to book an overnight mooring for the 3rd and if so how much notice must I give?

Any advice would be very helpful, thank you

EA Iicence needed all the way up to the top.

Short term visitor licence perhaps for the canal trip.

Although some say you don't have to book coming out of Limehouse, that is peak season and if someone has a convoy planned , at least you are certain of getting out early if you book now.

You will need an EA Thames licence anywhere upstream from Teddington.

Please have a look at http://www.thamescruising.co.uk/wordpress/ most of your questions will be answered there. VHF licence needed for both the operator and the boat.

As far as times to leave various locks take advice from the lock keepers - they have local information and will guide you.

I would suggest paying a visit to Limehouse before your planned trip; the lockies will appreciate your interest and, from my experience, welcome your interest and be pleased to show you their operation.

In the website above there are links to the Upstream and Downstream guides - there's a planning page in there for assistance. Also take time to look at St Pancras Cruising Club website - they have vast experience of tidal cruising and you may be able to join one of their tidal cruises - http://www.stpancrascc.co.uk

Edited by Leo No2

A 0730 high tide is a bit early - even if you leave Limehouse at the earliest time (0500 - you will need to book) you will be an hour later than ideal.

It depends a bit on how fast your boat goes, and how fast you want to go. Also, the tide is quite a weak one (the neap tide is on the 6th) which means the trip will take a bit longer. You are unlikely to start going backwards, but ...

I would suggest catching the evening tide, either

• on the 4th. HW is 1950, so that means leaving Limehouse about 1615, and arriving Teddington 2000;
  • or on Sunday 3rd HW 1904 so leave Limehouse 1530 arrive Teddington about 1915.

Thanks to everybody who has responded.

I was hoping to miss the trip boats but it seems this is unlikely. Is there somewhere to moor at Teddington when we arrive around 2000?

I have just calculated the cost of the EA licence for my narrow boat will be about £170 for 31 days and my mates 60' widebeam is £325!

There is plenty of good overnight mooring above Teddington, for a small charge. You can pass through the lock, find yourself a good mooring, get tied up and settled, walk the dog if necessary, and then amble back to buy your licence.

There is plenty of good overnight mooring above Teddington, for a small charge. You can pass through the lock, find yourself a good mooring, get tied up and settled, walk the dog if necessary, and then amble back to buy your licence.

Do you know what time the lock keepers at Teddington shut down for the night?

Would they let me out of Limehouse without a licence?