Any views on Hilperton Marina

Alanji

Featured Posts

There are two areas for mooring but I think security is probably quite good for both sites, There are staff on site everyday (including Sunday), and both are locked off behind a 6ft chain link fence when they are closed. I visit the chandlery quite often, and have always found the staff to be friendly and helpful.

A regular Forum member used to keep his boat there, but I notice that his boat name and location has been removed from his profile so maybe he isn't there anymore

Edited by David Schweizer

We moored there for a couple of years. Security is good and the staff are friendly & helpful. Be sure to check your terms & conditions. The notice period for leaving is very long - we got stung by that so just be careful!

Thanks for all the replies - I have booked into Caen Hill. Unfortunately wrong end of flight so volunteer lock-wheelers will be requested!

Hopefully will meet up with some of you later this year.

Bottom of flight is handy for 3 magpies a good pub and Brewery tavern ? in Seend .Pick the right day and Caen hill is swamped with volunteer lock keepers.

The Three Magpies ain't what it used to be, I believe it's been taken over and it's gone pretty much down hill over the past year. Car park now is generally deserted now where it used to be pretty full even through winter.

We last went in there July 2013 and wondered why it was so quiet, on purchasing 2 beers which were flat & awful we guessed something was awry, we've eaten in there numerous times before it went down hill and it was very good, a wee bit pricey but generally pretty good. We haven't tried it for food since the takeover, but regulars in another pub we use suggested not to bother as the food beer and general hygiene were abysmal hence the empty car park.

Passed there earlier, one sign out hand written scruffily on a chalk board (Book now for mothers day) Not exactly inspiring unsure.png

The best pub in the area is IMO The Brewery Inn Seend which isn't directly on the canal but about 250 yards from the Barge Inn. It's signposted on the bridge. They don't do food evenings, It's more of a locals pub, but has outside seating, more a proper pub as I call it, not a pub/restaurant the beer there is 60p a pint cheaper than the Barge Inn to and very well kept.

Thanks for all the replies - I have booked into Caen Hill. Unfortunately wrong end of flight so volunteer lock-wheelers will be requested!

Hopefully will meet up with some of you later this year.

We're aiming to go up late April - what are you're dates??

The Three Magpies ain't what it used to be, I believe it's been taken over and it's gone pretty much down hill over the past year. Car park now is generally deserted now where it used to be pretty full even through winter.

We last went in there July 2013 and wondered why it was so quiet, on purchasing 2 beers which were flat & awful we guessed something was awry, we've eaten in there numerous times before it went down hill and it was very good, a wee bit pricey but generally pretty good. We haven't tried it for food since the takeover, but regulars in another pub we use suggested not to bother as the food beer and general hygiene were abysmal hence the empty car park.

Passed there earlier, one sign out hand written scruffily on a chalk board (Book now for mothers day) Not exactly inspiring unsure.png

The best pub in the area is IMO The Brewery Inn Seend which isn't directly on the canal but about 250 yards from the Barge Inn. It's signposted on the bridge. They don't do food evenings, It's more of a locals pub, but has out ide seating, more a proper pub as I call it, not a pub/restaurant the beer there is 60p a pint cheaper than the Barge Inn to and very well kept.

Not sure that its gone down hill as it was never much good anyway!. At the risk of upsetting a few people it always felt like a cross between an old folks home and a club house for the caravan park next to it!. The Brewery is a good local drinking pub and very dog friendly (don't go if you don't like dogs). A couple of years back they were doing some good food but I think its back to drinking now. I am not usually a fan of "eateries" but the Barge at Seend is a very good one and boater friendly, good food and the tables are not all crammed in to maximise profits like some places. Also you can sit at the bar and do a bot of proper drinking too.

..........Dave

Hi Dave

Does the Barge let dogs in?

Yes it does. You have to sit in the bar area with them, but there's plenty of room. Unless it's a saturday night in which case you might be better booking and stipulating the bar. Of course, if the weather is lovely then there's loads of seating outside.

Dave also confirms that you can take dogs in, even lurchers! They are allowed in the first bit but it is right next to the gents. There are also a couple of tables next to the bar, but not in the main eating bit, and we have used those, the dog fits quite nicely under the table!

It is possible to walk from Caan Hill marina up to Devizes, its quite a long walk but its up the Caan Hill flight so rather pleasant. Devizes has the "British Lion" which is a proper drinking pub but sadly does not take dogs despite my continued nagging. Dogs are allowed in the Lamb which is a good pub but a bit lively at weekends. They are also ok in the Pelican unless there is a disco or similar event on (weekends only, otherwise its a good locals pub). Dogs also allowed in the Black Horse half way up the flight, but need to confirm this with the new landlord.

...........Dave

Great information and apologies Debbieblush.png

No probs :)

We have actually taken our dog in the Black Swan too. I'm not sure they are normally allowed but ours are v.small (miniature dachshunds) and it was a weekday lunchtime and there were 6 of us wanting to buy food - which may well have swayed it for us!