Continuous cruising.

tjderby

Featured Posts

yeah i have a full time job so cash flow ain't a problem after i've bought her. i work in the care sector so i have a good job. She needs licensing so im going to pay monthly for that.(£779 a year) my mooring when i finally am able to put her in one will be £1800 a year.

We've left our boat in all sorts of places over the past three years, and the only place it's been broken into is on its 'secure' gated home mooring (back when we still had one)! Someone climbed over the wall, I guess. So I'd say listen to local advice on 'dodgy' areas, make sure you're insured, etc. - but don't fret about it.

I pay more in mortgage fees alone on a very modest two bed semi!

Money in, money out.

Said this to our account at work in Friday. He laughed. I didn't!

A boat isn't a cheap way of living! Ours isn't our home either..........

well you still have to live by the 14 day rule don't you lol. Thankfully one thing annie may as is steel stern doors and hatch. not sure about the bow doors.

We also have steel stern doors, and it took under 1 minute to pop the pad lock off of them using a crow bar the night we moved aboard as Dave had lost the boat keys! TJ, if someone wants in bad enough they will get in, just be smart and don't leave tempting things (lap top, tablet, t.v etc) in sight. It's just like having a house or apartment, if they want in, they will get in. It's what insurance is for. No need fretting about it, make sure you have insurance, lock up when your away and as Starry says make friends with the people you moor near.

Enjoy

B~

If your motivation to live on a boat is the perception that it's a cheap way of living then don't do it.

However if it's because you have a burning desire to live on water then it's a fantastic way of life but you need to take the rose tinted glasses off and look at the realities of being a year round liveaboard.

Just to repeat what others have said a contingency fund is necessary for unexpected breakdowns because they WILL happen and they WIILL be costly especially if you're not able to repair/replace stuff yourself.

Again to repeat what's already been said, if you're sensible about where you moor security isn't an issue. Oh and don't leave stealable items like laptops etc on view but that's just common sense.

There are a few places up and down the Erewash you can moor without much hassle.. In some places, (often the more rural bits like Pasture Lock), you can get kids around, but if you talk to them they are often decent and leave your boat alone. I have no doubt if you were a tw@ then they would have no qualms about untying your boat or putting the windows in.. Just be civil!!

Trent Lock and Langley Mill most secure places, but you'll be fine in Sandiacre (conveniently close to the Co-op), by the park below Gallows Inn Lock, etc.. I've seen boats left for weeks in Long Eaton (again, Sainsburys metro just down the road from the visitor moorings) with no hassle (inc from C&RT).

Perhaps invest in a fold-up bike, too? Come up on ebay for £50 every now and again...