New Mooring Location

churchward

Featured Posts

I will be moving to Wales in the coming months and will also want to move the boat nearer to our new house.

This means moving somewhere from Brinklow to around the Hurleston Junction area either on the Llangollen branch something like Swanley Marina or perhaps on the Shropshire mainline either in a marina or online.

So any one have experience of Swanley Marina or other moorings in the area?

We moor at Swanley and have done since it opened in 2006, find it very handy with a choice of routes for a few days away or even longer trips.There is no cafe on the site so the public are not roaming round the marina, they have a slipway and do basic jobs like bottom blacking etc,though they have boat painters on site that can do a full top to bottom repaint if you want,Also most other boat services can be had here as well.Good shower block and car parking, can be a little windy though at times when trying to moor up at the jettys.

If you want something a bit (a lot!) cheaper than a marina, I've moored at Henhull for about 20 years; it's a mile or so from Hurleston Junction on the main line.. It is a C&RT offside mooring with some facilities. The interesting bit is that there is no direct access to it as you need a small dinghy (storage provided) to cross the canal to reach the mooring. This has the advantage that it is relatively secure and you get your own patch of land without people walking past all the time. You don't get another boat moored six inches away from you either!

They occasionally appear on the C&RT mooring site but if you are interested then PM me and I will give you the contact number of the Mooring Manager.

ETA: Another advantage is that it is on a relatively long pound so you can have a day's cruising at busy times without having to go through a lock - not something that can be said for Swanley!

Edited by dor
  • Greenie 1