Liveaboard costings

Claret73

Featured Posts

Hi All

I've been putting together a spreadsheet for some costings. Currently have a deposit on a mooring & am beginning a proper boat search after an Autumn of Procrastinating...

I can't seem to link a sheet so have included a web link (not conclusive & hope it works) based on a Max 50ft (there's just myself & I'm out at work all day, so hoping to reduce the per feet costs by being able to live on a smaller footage.) Diesel is another uncertainty as during the week mostly it will be in the Marina & potentially during the Summer evenings I can move it along the local system.

I have Tony Jones' book & have taken some costs from that (& could add in some more that I've so far missed out) but the rest I have found applicable to myself from relevant sites.

I realise this may be the 'how long is a piece of string' question, but would like some info as to my costings at a basic level & anything else people may see I've omitted or not considered. Just to give me bottom line figure. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

EstimatedCosts_zps3635c6fc.png

Edited by Claret73

Hi All

I've been putting together a spreadsheet for some costings. Currently have a deposit on a mooring & am beginning a proper boat search after an Autumn of Procrastinating...

I can't seem to link a sheet so have included below my costs (not conclusive) based on a Max 50ft (there's just myself & I'm out at work all day, so hoping to reduce the per feet costs by being able to live on a smaller footage.) Diesel is another uncertainty as during the week mostly it will be in the Marina & potentially during the Summer evenings I can move it along the local system.

I have Tony Jones' book & have taken some costs from that (& could add in some more that I've so far missed out) but the rest I have found applicable to myself from relevant sites.

I realise this may be the 'how long is a piece of string' question, but would like some info as to my costings at a basic level & anything else people may see I've omitted or not considered. Just to give me bottom line figure. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Boat Costing list 40-45ft Item One Off Payment Monthly Cost Quarterly Cost Annual Cost

Boat Purchase £30,000.00 Mortgage about 10% interest

Pre Purchase Survey £540.00

Mooring Fees - High Use up to 50ft £2,315.00 £221.85 £625.05 £2,315.00 Mooring - Standard Use (Fees will alter considerably depending upon where in the country you are)

C&RT License 2013-14 £742.91

BSS Certificate (Every 4 years) £170.00 £3.54 £42.50

Insurance (Craft Insure) £170.00 £15.00

Gas Bottles 13Kg (Each) Initial Purchase £60.00 £20.00 Gas Bottles 13Kg Refill (Each) - 3Months Use £25.00 £8.33

Solid Fuel - Coal 25Kg Bags £9.00 (About 2 bags per week per stove in winter running stove 24/7)

Solid Fuel - Wood

Electricity - Shoreline Marina (Between £0.09 and about £0.16 per unit depending upon Marina)

Water FOC FOC FOC FOC

Diesel (Heating/generating about £0.80/0.90 per litre and 1.5Ltrs per hour running)

Diesel Propulsions (about £1.30/1.40 per litre, and 1.5Ltrs per hour running)

Internet - MIFI by 3 £18.99 £227.88 (One Plan is £15 per month)

Television License(Normal TV Licence rate)-

Iplayer/4OD £12.12 £145.50

Maintenance (You could reserve £1,000 pa )

Boat Painting (You could reserve £1,000 pa ) All depends upon the condition of the boat, and whether the items are DIY or you Pay to have them done

Hull Blacking (You could reserve £100 pa ))

Engine Service (Every 200 Hrs - £80 DIY - £125?? professional?? ))

Breakdown Cover £210.00 £17.50

Edited by Grace & Favour
Adding detail

Claret73 - I think this is a very useful and well thought out little gizmo and I've just made one myself, modelled on yours. Glad davidc weighed in with the pump out reminder! Oh those toilets!!

However, I was bummed to see in other posts the relatively expensive rate of nb mortgages from the sole provider out there. I expect in the next few years to have the cash to pay the bulk of a fairly upscale liveaboard bespoke (I know, I know, but it will be my 'forever home', I hope, so happy to pay upclapping.gif), with the rest as a loan. Costs will be relatively high (mooring fees primarily), but it is perfectly feasible on my salary if (big if) my loan costs can be controlled.

I don't want to raid the pension and besides, I won't be eligible to do so anyway, for a while.

Anybody in the same position please?

If you are looking at a mortgage to part fund the purchase they will want a FULL survey, which with lift out / lift in costs as well will probably be £1000 rather than £500. Particularly if you are in South.

Hull blacking will be £10 per foot unless you are DIY, 50 foot £500 every 2 years ( 3 years if you push it)

If the boat you look at has gas fired heating (Alde) you would save the coal costs but gas usage could be £30 / week

Fitting out the boat - (no not beds and toilets but bits and pieces).

Kettle, cutlery, bedding, pots and pans, cushions, TV, Deep Fat Fryer (a favourite of mine), etc etc

Mooring pins, ropes, anchor, etc etc. Could be another £100s

Does the boat you'll be buying have a charger / alternator / inverter system suiable for your needs ? (£1000 ?)

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Hi All

Thanks for the replies & especially to Grace & Favour...there may be a few things to consider here along with my initial costs. A few calls to make re the Mortgage option. The Mooring fees are accurate for my usage as I already have these costs in place due to the mooring reservation with the marina.

Well, I'm not sure if any of this becomes conclusive...I've spent this evening revising my costs & (with a little surprise) looks like they will surpass my monthly income.

I've not just calculated in the boat items, but other expenses like car/food etc (& omitted some). I'll reconfigure into a spreadsheet & post as above, for validation, although the figures seem not to lie...

Well, I'm not sure if any of this becomes conclusive...I've spent this evening revising my costs & (with a little surprise) looks like they will surpass my monthly income.

I've not just calculated in the boat items, but other expenses like car/food etc (& omitted some). I'll reconfigure into a spreadsheet & post as above, for validation, although the figures seem not to lie...

Having bought my boat about 6 months ago having done thorough costing beforehand, I can categorically say that whatever you work out it will cost, add some more to that figure!

I'm very much afraid that living on a boat, is no different in cost terms, than bricks & mortar. Just the places where money is spent is different!

If its lifestyle, then you'll manage. (learn DIY, learn engines, learn electrics. See Starcoasters lists!)

If its cheap living, forget.

Bod

Edit to add.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=44221

If I've done it right, this link will be to Starcoasters first list.

Edited by Bod

Thanks for the link Bod...I had a quick chat with Starcoaster in the chatroom re my link in my OP. But they all seemed like they'd had a night on the Vino & was like being out with friends when you're not drinking...

In my heart it's lifestyle. I Love the countryside & have had enough living in a small town, outskirts of the city. But my head (& the spreadsheet) tell me something else...of which I'm trying to ignore...