Somerset levels and Devon Coast flood defences were axed

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

Today's Guardian reveals the truth about budget cuts leading to the axing of several proposed flood defence schemes in the South West :- http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/feb/16/flood-area-defences-funding-cuts

To avoid fines by the EU on the government, the government is specifically forced to spend millions on the defence of areas of special scientific interest. I have no problems with protecting such sites, it's just a pity that the same protection is not given to human habitats. These habitats are subject to wishfull-thinking policies for the purpose of penny pinching.

Edited by Higgs

To avoid fines by the EU on the government, the government is specifically forced to spend millions on the defence of areas of special scientific interest. I have no problems with protecting such sites, it's just a pity that the same protection is not given to human habitats. These habitats are subject to wishfull-thinking policies for the purpose of penny pinching.

There is too much of this going on, brought about by the likes of Bill Oddie, and other bearded sandal wearers!

There is too much of this going on, brought about by the likes of Bill Oddie, and other bearded sandal wearers!

I think it's a good thing to protect species that are stressed by man. Enormous stress is being placed on man by Thatcherblight; a widespread rot that sucks all the sap and leaves withered remains.

Edited by Higgs

Well even wild life is suffering because of the cuts and axed projects.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/uk-weather-floods-could-have-devastating-environmental-impact-9132299.html

Maybe it a conspiracy by Osborne and his pals so there can now get planning permission to build as there is now no butterfly's or frogs to stop them.

I think it's a good thing to protect species that are stressed by man. Enormous stress is being placed on man by Thatcherblight; a widespread rot that sucks all the sap and leaves withered remains.

Love this post. Think should give you a greenie if only I knew how that worked.
  • Greenie 1

Try reading this:

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/02/16/the-real-reason-for-flooding-in-somerset-levels-not-global-warming-the-only-pump-was-turned-off/

I'm about to buy a house in Martock on the edge of the levels and this was put on FB by a friend who has had water within 30 feet of their house since Christmas.

Edited by larryjc

Well even wild life is suffering because of the cuts and axed projects.

"Cuts" my @rse!

They have over 11 thousand staff and a budget of 1.2 billion of our fine British pounds.

That's more than the total if you added together the budgets of the Danish, French, Swedish and Austrian Environment Agencies.

"Cuts" my @rse!

They have over 11 thousand staff and a budget of 1.2 billion of our fine British pounds.

That's more than the total if you added together the budgets of the Danish, French, Swedish and Austrian Environment Agencies.

The EA money is split between the budget they receive from DEFRA and the money they receive as Flood Defence - " Grant in Aid", from the government. The aid alone amounts to over £500,000,000. This is just to maintain what they have in place. That would, of course, be money to maintain the Somerset Levels. I understand this has been a requirement for nearly 800 years.

The EA had decided it wasn't such a priority to keep doing and the consequences have come home to roost.

The EA money is split between the budget they receive from DEFRA and the money they receive as Flood Defence - " Grant in Aid", from the government. The aid alone amounts to over £500,000,000. This is just to maintain what they have in place. That would, of course, be money to maintain the Somerset Levels. I understand this has been a requirement for nearly 800 years.

The EA had decided it wasn't such a priority to keep doing and the consequences have come home to roost.

Not to mention the fact that (as I understand it), the EA classifies dredgings as a "Controlled Waste".

Unless the dredgings can be disposed of more-or-less on site, this increases the cost of disposal of dredgings.

Most of the extra costs are payable to.... the EA - of course!

They then go on to state that dredging of watercourses is "uneconomical."

Not to mention the fact that (as I understand it), the EA classifies dredgings as a "Controlled Waste".

Unless the dredgings can be disposed of more-or-less on site, this increases the cost of disposal of dredgings.

Yes. This is a hobby horse of mine. 'Controlled waste' is ANYTHING unwanted, produced in the course of operating a business. This even includes the sandwich wrappers and empty fag packets you find in a plumber's van, and the envelopes your mail arrives in if you are self employed.

To carry said fag packets and sandwich wrappers in your van requires a licence costing £154, and a fine of £5k risked if caught carrying with no licence.

Controlled waste must be disposed of in a responsible manner only to controlled waste carriers and proved by filling out and keeping copies of 'waste transfer notices' each time waste is disposed of. This means I cannot put my sandwich wrappers in the bin at home and comply with the law, I have to take them to an approved waste carrier for safe disposal, AND buy a licence to do so!

Same with CRT dedgings. They HAVE to dispose of them with an audit trail proving safe disposal or leave it on site.

The world's gorn MAD, I tell you...

MtB

It works until your luck runs out. We're in the recovery process of the wholesale running out of luck.