Toad in the hole

DHutch

Featured Posts

Im feeling a big like a change, and my mum does fantastic toad in the hole! Anyone here got a good recipe i could use?

- I cant imagine its too complex, but a few pointers wouldnt go a miss!

- I think ive just about all need to do the deed, flour/eggs/sausages/butter/milk?

Daniel

Im feeling a big like a change, and my mum does fantastic toad in the hole! Anyone here got a good recipe i could use?

- I think ive just about all need to do the deed, flour/eggs/sausages/butter/milk?

Daniel

Salt, oil, herbs, spices and pepper

Daniel

Youve got it all Daniel....Treat as Yorkshire pud with bangers in the middle

Approx amounts Yorkshire pudding style toad in the whole

3x Eggs

110 grams of plain flour

140ml milk

6x sausages

Finely chopped onion (Optional)

If you can beat for as long as possible to add air to the mixture and leave to stand. The longer you leave it the fluffier the yorky's will be.

Brown the sausages first and chop if you wish, add a little oil to a meat tin and set the oven to the highest temperature possible. Leave the tin in the oven for 10 mins or until you hear the oil spitting. Add sausages and mixture and return to the oven as quick as possible. Leave for 15-20mins.

Best served mash potatoes and onion gravy with a little red wine added!

Toad in the Hole

Serves 2 students

Ingredients

6 good-quality pork sausages – about 14 oz (400 g)

1 tablespoon oil

Batter:

3 oz (75 g) plain flour

1 large egg

3 fl oz milk s/skimmed is OK

pinch of salt

In my student days we made batter by putting a broken egg, flour and milk into a large jar ( a plastic milk bottle - 2 litre would work) and shake like crazy until its well mixed. Let it sit for a while and shake again. (This was usually done for midnight pancakes when we got the 'munchies' :banghead:

Fry the sausages in a frying pan for a bit until they are slightly brown and drain off the fat (or add a bit of veggie oil) into a roasting dish or tin. Place the dish in a very hot oven until the oil is a bit smokey. (this is important ) Arrange the sausages in the pan and them pour over the batter - cook for 30 minutes in the top of a hot oven.

Don't forget the gravy:

Fry some sliced onions in the frying pan until lighty browned, stir in good teaspoon of marmite or an oxo cube or granules in desparation, a sprinkling of flour and 1/2 mug of water, bring to the boil and stir to get out any lumps. (I recommend a having a 60p packet of Sauce Flour in the store cupboard - you can get it from most supermarkets - its virtually lump free)

If you want a gourmet approach try Delia Smith Toad in the Hole

Toad in the Hole

Serves 2 students

Ingredients

6 good-quality pork sausages – about 14 oz (400 g)

1 tablespoon oil

Batter:

3 oz (75 g) plain flour

1 large egg

3 fl oz milk s/skimmed is OK

pinch of salt

In my student days we made batter by putting a broken egg, flour and milk into a large jar ( a plastic milk bottle - 2 litre would work) and shake like crazy until its well mixed. Let it sit for a while and shake again. (This was usually done for midnight pancakes when we got the 'munchies' :)

Fry the sausages in a frying pan for a bit until they are slightly brown and drain off the fat (or add a bit of veggie oil) into a roasting dish or tin. Place the dish in a very hot oven until the oil is a bit smokey. (this is important ) Arrange the sausages in the pan and them pour over the batter - cook for 30 minutes in the top of a hot oven.

Don't forget the gravy:

Fry some sliced onions in the frying pan until lighty browned, stir in good teaspoon of marmite or an oxo cube or granules in desparation, a sprinkling of flour and 1/2 mug of water, bring to the boil and stir to get out any lumps. (I recommend a having a 60p packet of Sauce Flour in the store cupboard - you can get it from most supermarkets - its virtually lump free)

If you want a gourmet approach try Delia Smith Toad in the Hole

I bet Gibbo or that other bloke could save you a load of hassel and get electricity to make it for you Dan :banghead:

Right, so skiping all the poor jokes...

So you only lightly cook the sausages (could i grill them?) before placing them and the batter in the tin.

- And you have to thoughly pre-heat the tin before adding the batter.

Also guessing some decent sausages would make a diffence? (saiburys taste the diffrence here i come)

Daniel

I bet Gibbo or that other bloke could save you a load of hassel and get electricity to make it for you Dan :banghead:

Funny you should mention it, only this week i have been thumbing though ebay looking at second hand Kenwoods. :)

So you only lightly cook the sausages (could i grill them?) before placing them and the batter in the tin.

- And you have to thoughly pre-heat the tin before adding the batter.

Also guessing some decent sausages would make a diffence? (saiburys taste the diffrence here i come)

Daniel

I lighty grill/fry the sausages first so they are a nice colour all over, otherwise they can be a bit pale and look uncooked where they are sitting under the batter.

Hot oil is the key to crispy batter because it has to hit the hot oil and rise quickly. Cold oil = flacid rubbery batter.

If you can heat the pan with oil on the top of the stove , even better, but it can spit a bit. Then straight into a hot oven.

The better types of sausage could mean less grissle, sphincters, eyeballs etc.

Edited by Christine

I lighty grill/fry the sausages first so they are a nice colour all over, otherwise they can be a bit pale and look uncooked where they are sitting under the batter.

Hot oil is the key to crispy batter because it has to hit the hot oil and rise quickly. Cold oil = flacid rubbery batter.

If you can heat the pan with oil on the top of the stove , even better, but it can spit a bit. Then straight into a hot oven.

Sounds fair enough, although i actaully quite like the rubbery bit...

Heat the pan till smoking hot, but avoid fireballs if at all possible :banghead:

Heat the pan till smoking hot, but avoid fireballs if at all possible :banghead:

Can't be doing with all this multiple cooking pots and extra washing up business.

A KISS version is

• Oven up to max (gas mark 11 if you've got the Spinal Tap model)
  • Oil and sausages in the tin
  • Tin in oven for 10 minutes to brown the sausages and heat the oil
  • Batter over the top for a further 10 to 20 minutes until it looks irrsistable

When it's Brown it's Cooked

When it's Black it's something else that Jon will delete.

Ashley

Ashley has it right put sausages and oil in the oven to brown ec, no need to fry/grill plus heating oil on top of the stove can be dangerous!!! Disagree with such a high heat though max gas 7 gives great results.

Also use more eggs - 4 eggs gives you a lighter batter mix resulting in very good (huge) puddings.

Also for a change do mini toad in the holes in a yorkshire pud tin, I use good quality chipolata sausages and add half a shallot to the tin, very tasty :banghead:

Julie

Just to throw another idea in the pot, my ex-Mother-in-law was a Yorkshire lass brom and bred and she ALWAYS used self raising flour for Yporkshire batter. It makes a softer pudding and it does not go crispy but she always assured me that was what REAL Yorkshire pudding was like (I cannot possibly comment on that as my roots are from a different county altogether) She also ALWAYS grated onion into the mixture which gives it a gorgeous flavour. I always use that recipe and have never had any complaints

Ashley has it right put sausages and oil in the oven to brown ec, no need to fry/grill plus heating oil on top of the stove can be dangerous!!! Disagree with such a high heat though max gas 7 gives great results.

Also use more eggs - 4 eggs gives you a lighter batter mix resulting in very good (huge) puddings.

Also for a change do mini toad in the holes in a yorkshire pud tin, I use good quality chipolata sausages and add half a shallot to the tin, very tasty :banghead:

Julie

It's what our Delia recommends - I quote:

Now place the roasting tin containing the sausages over direct heat turned to medium and, if the sausages haven't released much fat, add the tablespoon of oil. When the tin is really hot and the oil is beginning to shimmer – it must be searing hot – quickly pour the batter in all around the sausages. Immediately return the roasting tin to the oven, this time on the highest shelf, and cook the whole thing for 30 minutes.

Well just to have my two penn'orth, isn't it amazing how emotive a simple thing like Yorkshire pudding can become, and how many differing opinions there are. I quite like the optional suggestion of finely chopped onions, will give that a try, and also the shaking like crazy in a milk carton. Personally, I use a liquidiser and mix the wet ingredients first, ie:

6oz milk

4oz water

2 eggs (purplehaze: comment above noted, will try 3 or 4)

Finely ground sea salt

Freshly ground black pepper

Chuck 'em all in together and give it a good whizz on max.

Turn the speed down and add flour a tablespoon at a time

3oz Plain flour

3oz Self-raising flour

Bangers pre-roasted and hot pan etc. as all previous posts.

• 3 months later...
If you cook the sausages first in the oven, using the same tray you are going to use for the TITH, the sausages will give you enough hot fat to do the batter in, plus you save on washing up.

I use ( when I'm cheating) the colemans toad in the hole packet mix ( basically batter in a packet and add milk or water cant think now) but the batter is really nice with a hint of herbs in it.. Cant beat a good bit of cumberland sausage in it either!