Ecofan thingamajig

Yamanx

Featured Posts

Some one out there do us a favour?

For 90 odd quid they must be super high tec, probably not just a rip off like most other stuff now days.

So I reckon I could make one. But I need some dimensuions.

If someone can photo copy one, would be good, lay it on the machine and email me the result. Also could do with some fan dimensions particularly the angle of twist.

As much info as possible please, I wont be casting it but I reckon I can fabricate something. :blush:

It's the thermoelectric module in the middle of the Ecofan that costs the money: it has to withstand temperatures approaching 300'C, and standard ones from places like

http://www.customthermoelectric.com/tecs.h...CFQzWXgodQzXF1A

only go up tp 200'C :blush:

So you might have a job building one without some custom materials engineering...

They might be alright on a narrowboat where you're trying to get the air moving down a long narrow passageway, but I found my ecofans (2 of the large 3 blade jobs) made little difference on my widebeam. My stove is fairly centrally located and I've found that the heat gets to the end of the boat whether or not ecofans are used. The actual air current that these things generate is very minor - hardly noticeable with your hand in front of the blades. I've now sold both.

• 2 weeks later...
OK skip that, done a bit more investigation, plan B.

Too much thinking time on my hands eh? :rolleyes:

I am deeply unimpressed by the one that is working in the chandlery at Whilton. I rather think that most of the comfort of a soid fuel staove is from the radiant heat. That travels at 186,000 miles per second so does not need any help from an ecofan.

Nick

I am deeply unimpressed by the one that is working in the chandlery at Whilton. I rather think that most of the comfort of a soid fuel staove is from the radiant heat. That travels at 186,000 miles per second so does not need any help from an ecofan.

Nick

I have one. I'm not sure it makes a difference but it indicates the healthiness of the fire at a glance and most importantly, amuses the cats and distracts them from their other favourite activity; using the litter tray as a general purpose sandpit and building site.

I have one. I'm not sure it makes a difference but it indicates the healthiness of the fire at a glance and most importantly, amuses the cats and distracts them from their other favourite activity; using the litter tray as a general purpose sandpit and building site.

I put the one I bought from Blackrose in my lounge, which is normally colder than a witches mammary, the heat from the stove used to go up the inglenook and no further...now the whole room is toasty even the other morning when it was white and frosty outside

I put the one I bought from Blackrose in my lounge, which is normally colder than a witches mammary, the heat from the stove used to go up the inglenook and no further...now the whole room is toasty even the other morning when it was white and frosty outside

I'm glad it's working for you. I think the idea is that they break up the rising thermal air convection currents and send some of the heat forwards. I'm not sure I noticed much difference in my boat, but I didn't wait til it got really cold - then I'll probably be sorry i sold it to you!

I have the three blade version on top of my Bubble stove. I paid somewhere in the region of £100 for it a year ago.

I bought it in an attempt to move some of the heat from the stove which is at one end of the boat, along the boat to the bathroom and bedroom.

I still have not managed to convince myself that it has made much difference to the temperature gradient along the boat. It spins quite fast but if you hold a candle a short distance in front of the blade, there is hardly any flicker from the candle - but there is some.....

If nothing else, I can judge the temperature the stove is burning at by the speed of the rotation of the blades.

Nick

Nick

The one in the chandlery is demonstrating what they look like and how they work - it is never going to even the temperature out in a shop 14m by 7m! But on a narrowboat they are excellent and if you went in a narrowboat with one you would think differently - otherwise I wouldn't be selling about six a week.

Nick

The one in the chandlery is demonstrating what they look like and how they work - it is never going to even the temperature out in a shop 14m by 7m! But on a narrowboat they are excellent and if you went in a narrowboat with one you would think differently - otherwise I wouldn't be selling about six a week.

mine works fantastic only a 2 blade one but warms up the the bedroom at the far end lovely but its only a 40 foot boat brenda