Morso Squirrel Woes

Northlight

Featured Posts

I suspect the longevity of any stove is dependant on the type/amount of fuel burnt and the way it is installed. If, for example, the flue is cemented into place with no room for expansion, the collar is put under a lot if stress as it expands and contracts. I'm sure that's why many if them crack around there.

Better to use a heat resistant silicone for both top and bottom collar to allow for expansion/movement/vibration.

To protect the sides and rear a little better from the heat I use double firebricks. The stove is more than adequate regards warmth.

I read this thread earlier and thought I would contribute with some positive opinions but tonight my glass cracked tonight . ( typical )

I still think the Morso isn't in bad nick for its age.

I will look at replacing the glass. Does anyone have any idea of sizes to replace screws holding the glass or indeed a stockist?

Thanks.

Paul.

PS . Pleased the yours didn't fail whilst hot.

For that reason I have a spare door for my Morso all prepared for a quick changeover. As last year my glass cracked and part of It fell out of

the door!. Had to let the stove die down then drill

out and tap the holes etc... for the new stainless bolts. In the meantime we had to make do with a blow heater for warmth, (no CH on this boat).

I know they retail at £185 new but they often appear on ebay for around £50. Well worth investing in one then you can repair the broken glass

without pressure.

Edited by Androo

On my first boat there was a Torgem with back boiler. A lovely stove but it needed some refining of the draught system, but it heated a 50 ft boat and 2 rads.

Next a villager C stove, back boiler , rated at 5 or 6 Kw. This is a beauty and is totally reliable. Late last year a door glass cracked and I was amazed when the nuts holding the glass in place undid without any trouble!

Now we also have a Squirrel with no back boiler. It's so far a good stove , but not as good as the Villager.

Years ago on a Brumtug there was an Epping or similar range, tiny fire box, hotplate and oven. I still miss it.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't even try to take the screws out. Get a pair of pliers, and twist the little holding clips to one side. Put the new glass in and carefully twist the clips back into position.

For that reason I have a spare door for my Morso all prepared for a quick changeover. As last year my glass cracked and part of It fell out of

the door!. Had to let the stove die down then drill

out and tap the holes etc... for the new stainless bolts. In the meantime we had to make do with a blow heater for warmth, (no CH on this boat).

I know they retail at £185 new but they often appear on ebay for around £50. Well worth investing in one then you can repair the broken glass

without pressure.

Purchased one off ebay yesterday. About £30 including glass.

Thanks to all the advice.

Paul

Hi All,

Be aware that a lot of "British" built stoves are made from Chinese castings and assembled in the UK

My advice ask the retailer re the origins of the components - cheap/poor quality far east stoves are common

and retailed as "British" as opposed to genuine UK stoves cast/manufactured here in good old Blighty

Ray

Ooops. yes. Picking it up on Sunday.

Paul

No problem.

I asked the vendor before bidding were they prepared to post it out before I made a bid. At first they declined saying they didn't want the glass to break in transit.

I convinced them and they said £10 P & P

I was too far away to travel.

How has the heat resistant silicone coped with the join between the smoke box or flue pipe to the top of the stove?

This question is from someone who has had flames coming out of the chimney in the past, it cleaned the flue ! Boris overdid the oily rag incineration, restraint is not something he's known for.

Don't bother with the safety lecture, I read the riot act and he's banned from interfering with the stove. There have been no repeat performances in the last 7 years.

They are a ridiculous price now, retail is over £800 though I'm sure you can get them cheaper, but still over £600 is too much.

I was looking at the Hobbit which I think are around £400 and the company that makes them claims to have a BSS compliant installation kit IIRC. And they are British made.

We have been running a Hobbit On our boat for a year or so, for the price (thanks Richard) they are a good stove.

Assembled in UK but I suspect made in China.

Now if you need a good stove then the Charnwood Country 4 is better than most, we fitted one on the previous boat have Country 6 in the cottage kitchen and when we can afford it we will be replacing the ancient Trolla 104 in the lounge with a Country 4.

ETA when fitting use fire cement at the stove end of the flue and HT sillicone in the roof collar.

HT sillicone doesn't cope well with stove temps but is fine 6ft up the flue.

Edited by Loddon

Yesterday as I made up our Morso Squirrel stove, thankfully from cold, it returned a massive clunk as I tried to engage the door latch and literally came apart at the seams. The front panel complete with door has come away from the top of the stove and there are gaps down both the sides and the back panel again where the whole stove seems to have dropped away from the top. I don't like to think what would have happened if it had been roaring away!...

...Has anyone else ever had the same sort of experience with a Morso?

Mike.

I believe that this may have happened to a boat this month - 100% damage by fire, one poor boater has lost a home

Warning to stove users, in high winds, don't bank up a stove and then leave the boat.

The winds can cause the fire to roar away and over-fire - super-heating over-firing%20pot-belly.jpg

see http://bit.ly/1g4P3GQ for more information

I believe that this may have happened to a boat this month - 100% damage by fire, one poor boater has lost a home

Warning to stove users, in high winds, don't bank up a stove and then leave the boat.

The winds can cause the fire to roar away and over-fire - super-heating over-firing%20pot-belly.jpg

see http://bit.ly/1g4P3GQ for more information

Frightening!

On saying that, I bank up my Morso Squirrel quite often but I never ever leave the wheels on the two doors open more than an 1/8 if it is windy.