blacking of boat

Featured Posts

Hi.

The cost can change depending on where you go, and how it is lifted out of the water, and what you use to black it, and how many coats you do. For that size boat, the entire cost should be approx....£350-£450 ..but that's a guess....but close.....;-) You'll get more answers in this thread soon. Where is your boat? It will help with more specific answers, as people know each area.

Not a recommendation but hope to use them myself, Portland Basin Marina near Hyde quote DIY and also cost for them to do the job on a 50ft boat on their web site

DIY (typical costs for 50 ft boat)
  • Dry dock on/off – £70
  • 4 days dry dock – £120
  • Pressure washer – £25
  • 15 ltr Bitumen – £93.84
  • Total = £308.84 inc VAT
Hull Blacking (typical costs for 50 ft boat)
  • Dry dock on/off – £70
  • 4 days dry dock – £120
  • 50ft @ £6.85 per ft – £342.50
  • Total = £532.50 inc VAT

​If you use a marina with a dry dock they normally work out cheaper than being craned out and put on a hard standing (no idea of cost if a marina uses a cradle and slipway)

Hope this helps

Not a recommendation but hope to use them myself, Portland Basin Marina near Hyde quote DIY and also cost for them to do the job on a 50ft boat on their web site

• Dry dock on/off – £70
  • 4 days dry dock – £120
  • Pressure washer – £25
  • Dry dock on/off – £70
  • 4 days dry dock – £120

​If you use a marina with a dry dock they normally work out cheaper than being craned out and put on a hard standing (no idea of cost if a marina uses a cradle and slipway)

Hope this helps

I'd quite like to know what sort of blacking that is. 15 litres should be half that at most.

However much you pay it still gets washed off by diesel.

I'd quite like to know what sort of blacking that is. 15 litres should be half that at most.

However much you pay it still gets washed off by diesel.

Sorry not sure what type, I was just quoting the price on the web. Suggest a call to the marina but as its a DIY price you can take whatever you want if you are just hiring the dry dock

Whilst I have no doubt you can buy "anonymous" bitumen paint cheaply, a quick "Google" reveals the current price for 5 litres of a typical International or Rylards boat blacking to be about £30, (often more), so about £90 sounds very much the norm.

20 litres of Midland Chandlers otherwise unbranded blacking is £85.

That suggestion of just under £94 doesn't sound like a wild over-estimate to me. Where are you buying 15 litres of blacking at under £47, then?

Its up near Ormskirk near Liverpool on the Leeds Liverpool canal. Any suggestions of where to take it. Thanks

did my 44ft boat last week at St Mary,s marina rufford. lift in and out/power wash off/3 days hire of the boat house plus 2 tins of coflex vt, £302.00 inc vat. bitumen is cheaper but as mine had used coflex before i went with it. you cant use coflex over bitumen. hope that helps

• Dry dock on/off – £70
  • 4 days dry dock – £120
  • Pressure washer – £25
  • Dry dock on/off – £70
  • 4 days dry dock – £120

Hope this helps

I don't know where you got those costings from, most blacking quotes include dry dock or haul out costs. Last May I paid Tim Hewitt at Union Canal Carriers £338 for a 52ft boat. inclusive of all docking costs etc., Quite frankly £30 more to save all the hassle is well worth it for me, and it gives me the time to touch up the red and white tunnel bands.

I don't know where you got those costings from.......

Look at what you have quoted!

"Portland Basin Marina near Hyde"

In my experience different outfits quote different ways.

I have even seen a fixed price deal for any boat up to somewhere arount (IIRC) 60 feet - the place at Blisworth had this posted outside a year or so back. So 40 foot would be same price as 60.

Jem Bates has been mentioned - when I approached him he quoted very expensive, (for 50 feet), but others I know have had a "winter deal" with him at far less. So some have consistent pricing, others it may be seasonal pricing, depending on other uses they have for the dock.

Whilst I have no doubt you can buy "anonymous" bitumen paint cheaply, a quick "Google" reveals the current price for 5 litres of a typical International or Rylards boat blacking to be about £30, (often more), so about £90 sounds very much the norm.

20 litres of Midland Chandlers otherwise unbranded blacking is £85.

That suggestion of just under £94 doesn't sound like a wild over-estimate to me. Where are you buying 15 litres of blacking at under £47, then?

The stuff you get from the builders merchants is way cheaper than the equivalent "marine" product, and of course it is also described as "high perfomance".

I am more than happy to accept that it's worth paying two or three times as much for something like Rylards, provided someone can demonstrate that it is noticeably better.

But it seems to me that anything that is "oil" based is going to get washed off by a diesel spill, whatever claims are made for it.

As I say, I'd be happy to be convinced otherwise and I did raise this question on the forum a while ago but there was very little interest.

Having mentioned the outfit at Blisworth, I thought I'd look them up.

More expensive than I recall a year or two back, but as I suggested, fixed price irrespective of length, up to 57 foot.

Details here.

So for 57 foot about £8.75 a foot inclusive, (cheaper than down here!), but progressively poorer value as the boat gets shorter!