Costs in total

Water_Rat

Featured Posts

Residential or leisure?

The costs for either are more or less constant wherever you keep the boat, except that moorings and insurance tend to cost more in the London area.

There was a thread here a few days ago that went into a fair amount of detail on the costs of running a boat.

The conclusion was that without knowing a lot more detail than you give, it's a bit like asking "How long is a piece of string?"

For what it's worth, ignoring the loan payments, I have budgeted about £6000 per year for my 35 foot boat on a residential mooring in West London on the Grand Union, plus fuel foe heating and travelling.

If you moore for more than two weeks the CRT tells you to move. Once you moved iyou can stay another two weeks. you don;t habe to move that far. Eg. from camden to kings cross is fine.

Then where do you go after the next two weeks?

If you moore for more than two weeks the CRT tells you to move. Once you moved iyou can stay another two weeks. you don;t habe to move that far. Eg. from camden to kings cross is fine.

I suggest you read some of the other threads here about the MOORING problems in London, and the possible future limitations that you will have to apply to your movements. From what you have so far alluded to I suspect that you will not comply with the Rules!

Residential or leisure?

The costs for either are more or less constant wherever you keep the boat, except that moorings and insurance tend to cost more in the London area.

There was a thread here a few days ago that went into a fair amount of detail on the costs of running a boat.

The conclusion was that without knowing a lot more detail than you give, it's a bit like asking "How long is a piece of string?"

For what it's worth, ignoring the loan payments, I have budgeted about £6000 per year for my 35 foot boat on a residential mooring in West London on the Grand Union, plus fuel foe heating and travelling.

Just to confirm "how long is a piece of string". I'm continuously cruising up north. £6000 per year pays all my costs including food and running a motorbike. The only thing not included is exceptional items, like a recent new starter motor. Another £3000 gives me 2 x 2 month holidays in the tropics.

Hmmmm, I think you've picked a bad time to attempt this brilliantly simple plan. Just when the long-established continuous moorers are starting to get hassled and to have extra restrictions and enforcements to put up with, you think you can easily find a mooring for 2 weeks, then cheerfully cruise a few bridges and find the next perfect spot.

You'd have more chance of getting a straightforward and truthful reply from a politician! icecream.gif

well you just keep moving after two weeks to once side of the canal. Then turn around and do the same. That's how it works in London. smile.png

Have you actually got good knowledge of.....

1) The number of actual places in London where casual mooring is actually possible.

2) How congested those locations regularly already are.

3) Local resident pressure to lose or reduce even some of that space that does exist.

4) The massively increased enforcement regime CRT are now practicing, versus what people used to get away with in the past.

5) How some of the popular locations used by live-aboard boaters in London have been the subject of an increasing wave of boat break-ins.

If you answer "yes" to all of those, then IMO you are being highly optimistic about how your future plans may work out, but if the answer to any is "no" then I would say you definitely fall into the category of "more research necessary".

Yes, more research is necessary.

My friend has been doing it for half a year and it works.

these are the rules:

http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/633.pdf

Are there 'pop-out moorings' in that PDF then?

And as people are trying to tell you, things are changing and moorings are already saturated

these are the rules:

That's brilliant....your off to a good start. Now that you know where to find the "rules", have a good read through them, I think it's pretty clear about 1/2 down the first page where it states...

"Importantly, short trips within the same neighbourhood, and shuttling backwards and forwards along a
small part of the network do NOT meet the legal requirement for navigation throughout the period of
the licence."
Sorry Water Rat, but the last thing genuine CC's need is more CM's giving them bad press. Sort out the life style you want, if that means staying within a couple mile radius of a particular spot or a river or canal, get yourself the proper mooring first, then the boat, then the proper license. No offence meant, but if your looking to move onto a boat for a cheaper lifestyle, pretty much everyone on here will tell you to stick with bricks & mortar.
You say your friend has been doing it for 6 months; there are people on this forum who have been doing it for years. Don't discount the advice they give, majority of them know what they are talking about.
I'm a novice myself, but the good people here have given us some pretty solid advice over the past few months
Again Good Luck
Spelling Edit
Edited by Bettie Boo

Er - Water_Rat,

You may be supremely confident that what you are about to embark on is correct/do-able

You may well have been given advice that your proposal (currently) works for colleagues

Or, you may, possibly, just be a blagger

However, answers (above) are attempting to give you some good advice, and you should consider them before you spend your hard earned brass on a boat.

You are, of course, perfectly at liberty to ignore the feedback

Edited by Grace & Favour

Hi All

Just wondering what costs I will have in London apart from morring?

Taxes? license? safety certificate/

What else do I have to keep in mind.

Thank you

Philip

I note you are planning to spend nothing on diesel for the engine. Maybe you have a horse perhaps?

How are you planning to keep warm? Coal? Gas? Diesel stove? Some other way?

You've hardly given this any thought at all have you?

MtB

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Hi All

Just wondering what costs I will have in London apart from morring?

Taxes? license? safety certificate/

What else do I have to keep in mind.

Thank you

Philip

. Surely your mate can tell you these expenses?

From his comments, Mike, I think you are probably totally correct.

Oy! you lot gently with Water_Rat. He/she is a new member. Treat him/her as such. Remember the recent thread about how we (some) treat new members!!

Now back to gentle education not alienation.

• Greenie 1

Oy! you lot gently with Water_Rat. He/she is a new member. Treat him/her as such. Remember the recent thread about how we (some) treat new members!!

Now back to gentle education not alienation.

People who can't be arsed to do even the slightest bit of research for themselves before asking others to do it for them, don't deserve to be treated gently.

I mean dear OP, you'll get some very good assistance here if you post a list of the expenses you have already worked out, complete with figures. Then we'll help you fine tune it, with endless patience.

MtB

Probably for one movement

well you just keep moving after two weeks to once side of the canal. Then turn around and do the same. That's how it works in London. smile.png

Only if you have reached the end of the the waterway, ie, an arm off the main canal

these are the rules:

but have you read them and understood them especially:

The necessary movement from one neighbourhood to another can be done in one step or by short gradual steps

What the law requires is that, if 14 days ago the boat was in neighbourhood A, by day 15 it must be in neighbourhood B or further afield
Thereafter, the next movement must be at least to neighbourhood C, and not back to neighbourhood A (with obvious exceptions such as reaching the

end of a terminal waterway or reversing the direction of travel in the course of a genuine cruise)

EDIT: Your friend has been doing it for six months and has been lucky but I bet he is on the radar of C&RT.

Edited by bottle

I am beginning to wonder if the OP has created a second profile, this seems too much of a wind-up, asking advise and then quoting C&RT rules, to hint that we, somehow, don't understand how it all works.

Is someone bored, now that the excitement of the festive season has passed?

Watch out! C&RT have water-rat traps! icecream.gif

Hi

Im pretty new to this forum & new to boats too . i bought my first in March last year . During my research etc i received ( as do all who ask similar questions ) some very sound advice . i would urge you to take heed of the advice given as its based on years of wideranging experience .

Following advice i waited & waited before buying as i attempted tosecure a residential berth near London . I spent the time looking at boats , reading about boats and was all over this forum like a rash reading old threads etc etc .

The simple truth is , though it may not be want you want to read , is that you really ought to get a mooring NEAR london as getting one IN london is going to cost a fortune . Fine if u have the money but if not then thats never going to happen . Yes your mate has been on the canal 6 months but as has been said theres every chance that the authorities could get serious about enforcing the rules which seem to be so flagrantly ignored .

Its possible if you do homework that you can be reasonably , if not entirely legit by moving further afield . Do you really have to be always in central london ? OK you may have to work there possibly - so do i but that of course does not mean i have to live there . There are many train stations within reach of London and if you use move around and use these you can get to / from London within very reasonable times without constantly having to moor up against other folks boats all the time or just shuffling back & forth over the same stretch of canal .

I have a resi mooring as i say & its costs a fair amount of money . The truth is they ll always be pricey . Yes you can buy a small boat , not necassarily for lots of money - lets say £10 K and hang around central london BUT if the CRT start making life difficult then you 'll

a) find things get more difficult

B) get more pricey - u will be using more fuel

c) there will be a rush for the moorings that are near London - sold to the highest bidder and its poss as lots of people find themselves suddenly needing one the fees could get higher than at present .

d) you end up with a boat you no longer want as u cannot use it as planned . There may be many other people like this too and so u could lose lots of money

i cosidered leaving my resi mooring as i want to do more boating and thought it a waste to pay such high fees to only have it empty when i was cruising . I ve done some maths , followed some advice from here and decided not to giveit up - BUT im going out boating this year much more than last anyway , and i shall just bite the costs involved . Why ? because theres every chance that the london CM situation could about to be tackled , moorings become more important than previously and i realise i d be bonkers to let mine go in the current climate .

Anyway , these are just some thoughts of mine - but seriously do listen to folk on here - they know thier stuff and consider widening your cruising pattern , commute by train etc - thats my intention this summer as i work in london between march & september .

How long the current situation in london will continue is difficult to say so think very hard before plunging your cash into something that may change quickly .

good luck with your outcome

cheers

• Greenie 1