oxford canal cruising

colmac

Featured Posts

Bridge 53, is it? It took us years to discover it but, since we have done so, it avoids that death-defying dash across the road to the supermarket.

Surly you still have to cross the road to get to Tesco. Why not moor near (not on) the water point, walk under the bridge and follow the footpath from beside the bridge to Tesco, no need to cross any roads.

No you do not. You walk down the path (about 150 yards) from the bridge, which may be 53 but I'm not sure, It brings you out beside the rear of the store.

I must have the wrong bridge then. I thought 53 brought you into the north end of the trading estate just past Willow Wren.

Thanks guys,

We are on the K and A near Aldermaston, so we will have to move a bit nearer to Reading, without actually being too near overnight (!) and start off early to cover the rest of the way, say a couple of hours "in" from the Thames... The plan would be to get up to the South Oxford, have a few days on that and then come back.

Nick

You can do Reading to Oxford comfortably in two days (ie. a one day licence). Day one stop would be around the Wallingford area.

I'm not sure if Blakes lock issues visitor licences or not. The alterative to staying 'outside' Reading and getting up early would be to drop down through Blakes lock after closing and moor between Kennet mouth and Caversham lock. There used to be good moorings by Tescos, but last time I was there it was full of CM'ers. Some locals may be able to advise of its current status.

Get your 1 day licence at 09.00 at Caversham lock and then you've got two full days to potter up to Oxford.

Great ! Thanks Proper Job - just the info I was looking for...

Now to upgrade the "anchor" arrangement (!) which is somewhat lacking for a river, and get the boat serviced fully...

Nick smile.png

Something else you may want to plan/consider is to access the Oxford canal via Dukes cut and Sheepwash channel.

Depending on time, instead of going on to the canal via Sheepwash (turn right above Osney), carry on up the Thames through Godstow and Kings lock and enter the canal via Dukes cut. The trip up to Dukes give great views of Oxford over Port Meadow.

On your return journey, go back via the canal down to Isis lock and out on to the river via Sheepwash channel. Because equally the trip down on the canal through Wolvercote and Jerico is equally worth it. It then allows you to moor topside of Osney lock ready for the first lock on the way back to get your 1 day visitor licence.