Anyone here live on the River Cam?

narrowboatham

Featured Posts

Hi all, i don't have a boat yet but one day (soon) hope to live aboard.

I am on the waiting list for a residential mooring on the river Cam (costs nothing to put name down, just keeping options open really at this stage).

I just wondered if anyone on here lives on the Cam and what its like?

Hi all, i don't have a boat yet but one day (soon) hope to live aboard.

I am on the waiting list for a residential mooring on the river Cam (costs nothing to put name down, just keeping options open really at this stage).

I just wondered if anyone on here lives on the Cam and what its like?

Yes, have done for the past 5 and a half years.

It's pretty good. Moorings are in the centre of town and are very cheap compared to elsewhere. On the down side, you get hit a lot by novice rowers, or woken up in the mornings, and there's quite a lot of races which restrict cruising on quite a few weekends and evenings. There's also very few facilities for the money- two separate water taps, and one cassette disposal and pump out point, for 100 or so residential boats.

That said, I wouldn't at the moment live anywhere else.

Edited by FadeToScarlet

Phil, i asked about the Cam because if i get a mooring there through the council as i understand it i can stay on certain sections as long as i like?. This way i could hopefully find work as i need it locally without having to worry about moving every 2 weeks.

Thank you FadeToScarlet for your response, anyone else?

Phil, i asked about the Cam because if i get a mooring there through the council as i understand it i can stay on certain sections as long as i like?. This way i could hopefully find work as i need it locally without having to worry about moving every 2 weeks.

Thank you FadeToScarlet for your response, anyone else?

Yes, a residential mooring permit from the council allows you to moor anywhere along Jesus Green, Midsummer Common, or Stourbridge Common. Assuming you have a narrowboat, it takes about 2-4 years roughly to get to the top of the list- about 22 years if you have a widebeam!

Because you don't have a fixed space you don't pay council tax. Instead, the mooring fee goes to the council. It is slightly above Band A council tax and you can apply for a reduced fee for single occupancy or if you're a student.

• 2 years later...

I'm still on the list for a mooring on the Cam, when i get offered one i assume i can pay for it and then find a boat afterwards?.

Who do i buy the license from, the environment agency? i had a quick look on their website but could not find anything.

I'm thinking this might be the best option for me now, i would like to cc round the network ideally but get the impression that CART would like everyone in a marina

I'm thinking this might be the best option for me now, i would like to cc round the network ideally but get the impression that CART would like everyone in a marina

I'm a bit lost... I had the impression from your earlier posts that you would be working and needing to moor in Cambridge, but now you say you'd ideally like to 'CC round the network', which suggests you're not tied to one area and would prefer to cruise widely? If that's the case, I wouldn't worry about whether or not 'CART would like everyone in a marina', because at the end of the day you shouldn't struggle to satisfy them that you're 'genuinely' CCing.

it may still happen, the thing that worries me with CART is that they can move the goal posts at any time, which is what they did with winter moorings last year.

Well... I think there are two separate issues here. Yes, CRT - like any local council, private marina, etc. - can make changes to the paid-for services they offer, as they did when they introduced and then withdrew the 'roving' winter permit. I guess that makes it hard to be sure that e.g. a CRT winter mooring will be available at the right price in the right place every year, but there's always the option of taking a private mooring or just continuing to CC (maybe in a very limited way).

But when people talk about CRT 'moving the goalposts' they're generally talking about the way they interpret and enforce the rules on CCing... and while that certainly can change (and has changed), any changes really shouldn't affect someone cruising extensively around the network (and moving at least once every 14 days).

At the end of the day I'd just say: if what you want to do is CC around the network, I wouldn't let this sort of worry put you off.

i will ask, i thought they might want a license number or something before they will let you have it but will check

Oh you won't get a license number without a boat, but I feel sure Thar the council will be more interested in getting the mooring fees.

Phil

I'm still on the list for a mooring on the Cam, when i get offered one i assume i can pay for it and then find a boat afterwards?.

Who do i buy the license from, the environment agency? i had a quick look on their website but could not find anything.

At the moment, the full residential moorings are stupidly cheap- probably the cheapest legitimate full residential moorings anywhere.

You can buy your licence and start paying the Council, then find a boat. Double check the exact amount of time with them, but you'll have about six months to get a boat and bring it down.

You'll need to licence with the Conservators of the River Cam. This licence covers you also for the Great Ouse and Nene, the EA waterways, so if you're bringing a boat from the canals you don't need an EA temporary licence.

Edit: the council are carrying out a full review of moorings starting in October, so if you're offered a place, I'd grab it quick, Asap, before things change

Edited by FadeToScarlet