Dodgy Coal?

junior

Featured Posts

The make up of smokeless ovoids will not usually vary from year to year without it having to be re-approved.

The make up of supertherm for example below are 'approved recipes', variation from these recipe would make the fuels unapproved for use in a smoke control zones.

Supertherm briquettes, manufactured by Coal Products Limited at Immingham Briquetting Works, Immingham, North East Lincolnshire, which

(a)comprise a blend (in the proportion of 19:1 by weight) of anthracite and medium volatile coal (as to approximately 93% of the total weight) and cold-setting organic binder or a molasses and phosphoric acid binder (as to the remaining weight);

(b)were manufactured from those constituents by a process involving roll-pressing;

©are unmarked ovoids;

(d)have an average weight of 160 grams per briquette; and

(e)have a sulphur content not exceeding 1.5% of the total weight.

Supertherm II briquettes, manufactured by Coal Products Limited at Immingham Briquetting Works, Immingham, North East Lincolnshire, which

(a)comprise anthracite (as to approximately 36 to 51% of the total weight), petroleum coke (as to approximately 40 to 55% of the total weight) and an organic binder or a molasses and phosphoric acid binder (as to the remaining weight);

(b)were manufactured from those constituents by a process involving roll-pressing;

©are unmarked ovoids;

(d)have an average weight of 140 grams per briquette; and

(e)have a sulphur content not exceeding 2% of the total weight.

Is this the issue that there are 2 different specifications that use the name Supertherm?

The make up of smokeless ovoids will not usually vary from year to year without it having to be re-approved.

The make up of supertherm for example below are 'approved recipes', variation from these recipe would make the fuels unapproved for use in a smoke control zones.

Supertherm briquettes, manufactured by Coal Products Limited at Immingham Briquetting Works, Immingham, North East Lincolnshire, which

(a)comprise a blend (in the proportion of 19:1 by weight) of anthracite and medium volatile coal (as to approximately 93% of the total weight) and cold-setting organic binder or a molasses and phosphoric acid binder (as to the remaining weight);

©are unmarked ovoids;

(d)have an average weight of 160 grams per briquette; and

(e)have a sulphur content not exceeding 1.5% of the total weight.

Supertherm II briquettes, manufactured by Coal Products Limited at Immingham Briquetting Works, Immingham, North East Lincolnshire, which

(a)comprise anthracite (as to approximately 36 to 51% of the total weight), petroleum coke (as to approximately 40 to 55% of the total weight) and an organic binder or a molasses and phosphoric acid binder (as to the remaining weight);

©are unmarked ovoids;

(d)have an average weight of 140 grams per briquette; and

(e)have a sulphur content not exceeding 2% of the total weight.

SC - that's useful information - - thanks....

Now - I have a query, and wonder if you could point me in the right direction please?

Is there an authoritative (web)site that gives the typical energy value of all the types / brands of solid fuel available in the UK?

Is there an authoritative (web)site that gives the typical energy value of all the types / brands of solid fuel available in the UK?

I'm sure I remember Alan F. mentioning one somewhere on this forum, but cannot now find it - I bet someone will though!!

SC - that's useful information - - thanks....

Now - I have a query, and wonder if you could point me in the right direction please?

I'm sure I remember Alan F. mentioning one somewhere on this forum, but cannot now find it - I bet someone will though!!

No not seen an authoritative one that covers all the fuels......

(In fact I'm no longer convinced it could exist, if there are multiple types of fuel named the sae thing, but with a different composition in the bag!)

However FWIW the CPL "Coalproducts" web-site does list calorific values (albeit with no units!) for a number of their fuels....

I've tried to transcribe, but don't rely on me - please check!

Taybrite 30265

Ecoal50 or Ecoal Instant Light 32050

Homefire Ovals 32077

Homefire 32275

Ancit 32326

Ecoal 32500

Phurnicite 32809

All fairly similar, except Taybrite which give between about 5.5% and 8% less than the others listed, for the same weight burnt.

(Or so they claim - I do realise others claim this is not their experience!)

CPL don't do things like Excel, and I can't immediately find other suppliers providing equivalent numbers for the fuels not available from CPL.

had some bags of supertherm from Midlands Chandlers and they burn lovely, no fumes (unlike stoveglow which was giving me a very sore throat), has burnt nicely, long and hot, stayed in well, ash is easy to remove and no clinker.

If it stays like this, I will stay with it.

• 2 months later...

Is it best to remove clinker or leave it to eventually burn?

If the fire has gone out (ive turned it down too much) and the clinker are large bits, i usually shove to one side and start a new fire and then they burn in with the fire. If the clinker bits are small, i clean them all out as they can get stuck in the grate and this just blocks airflow. I find that it doesn't hurt my fire to give it a good clean and brush out now and again.