Thorneycroft engine parts

Featured Posts

Can anybody help out with a supplier of thorneycroft engine parts.

I need a thermostat housing for a Mitsubishi based 105.

I lost all the coolant today and i have found that one of the bolts that secures the thermostat housing has sheared.

I drilled it and tried an easy out which of course sheared in the hole so now I am snookered and will have to source a replacement.

So much for a relaxing cruise on the Ashby!

What type of "Easy Out" did you use?

If it was the tapered type, tapping with a centre punch in a Clockwise direction may loosen it, enough to be removed.

Redrill larger hole, deeper, if poss drill out to tapping size, re-tap, maybe next size bigger.

Parallel type.......Oh dear(or words to that effect!)

Bod

Thanks all for the replies.

I popped into the guys at Lime Farm. Having taken the housing off, they were able to carefully build the remains of the broken bolt up with weld untill there was enough to get hold of and then we got the little bugger out. Brilliant!

I made myself a couple of new gaskets, put it all back on and we are back underway.

I shall run it for a day to test and then refill with antifreeze.

What a nice bunch of guys, most yards would have just shrugged and ordered a new part but he was determined to get us going again.

Thoroughly recommended!!

Thanks all for the replies.

I popped into the guys at Lime Farm. Having taken the housing off, they were able to carefully build the remains of the broken bolt up with weld untill there was enough to get hold of and then we got the little bugger out. Brilliant!

I made myself a couple of new gaskets, put it all back on and we are back underway.

I shall run it for a day to test and then refill with antifreeze.

What a nice bunch of guys, most yards would have just shrugged and ordered a new part but he was determined to get us going again.

Thoroughly recommended!!

Glad you are sorted :)

Six hours of cruising today and all seems well.

I have pumped the cooling system out and re-filled with 50% antifreeze.

Pumped out and dried the bilges so all is clean and dry again.

We shall now continue our trip up the Ashby.

We will keep an eye open for you, probably turning round at the end tomorrow

• 2 weeks later...

We had no further problems,but, just to be on the safe side, I ordered a new thermostat housing from Thorneycroft.

It arrived today, they have changed from the original aluminium to cast iron with a lot more metal thickness around the stud holes.

This makes me think that this has been a recurring problem.