LW sprayer thread size

Wrinkley

Featured Posts

As I have been unable to locate a sprayer removal tool I am going to make one. I need to identify the thread size on the sprayer and then find a nut to fit. I have previously taken the pipe off but did not pay particular attention to the size. My guess is it will be metric and maybe fine pitch. Any help will be very much appreciated.

Graham

Their are no metric threads on Gardner LW's most if not all are Whitworth for bolts and studs, BSP for pipe fittings I think.

Normally if you just tap them about a bit they come out. Do not try and blow them out using the starter as I know someone who tried this and it nearly killed him.

Jim, thanks for that. I thought that most of the injector thread size was metric as it was invented/developed in Germany. I know my JP was metric. BSP - I have some small fittings left over from gas stuff. if I can not find a definitive answer I will have to try some of them to identify the thread. (bet I haven't got the right one)

Jake crew -I have tried trawling the internet but my ability to not find the correct information is legendary. But thanks, do you have a link?

CAV injectors have metric threads, but they started from joint venture with Bosch. Gardners used CAV pumps but made their own sprayers.

I'll go & measure the thread in a minute.

To be utterly pedantic, Gardners do have some metric threads (apart from those on the CAV pumps), because they have a few BA threads.

Tim

The proper withdrawing tool uses the leakoff connection, which is on the centre line of the sprayer and has a 7/16" dia x 24 tpi thread, so not a normal standard. I thought it might be 26 tpi, which would correspond with a Brass or Cycle thread. The pressure pipe connection is 1/4" BSP, using that won't be quite so effective as it'll be pulling the body sideways.

Tim

Their are no metric threads on Gardner LW's most if not all are Whitworth for bolts and studs, BSP for pipe fittings I think.

Normally if you just tap them about a bit they come out. Do not try and blow them out using the starter as I know someone who tried this and it nearly killed him.

The trick if you do try to blow them out is to just slacken the clamp nuts a couple of turns, not remove the clamps altogether.

Tim, thank you for taking the trouble to find the size for me. That size sounds that I will be most unlikely to find one in my nuts and bolts tin! Even though its full of old motorcycle bits, both British and Japanese. So its find a tool or try removing them with your hint of loosen the nuts a couple of turns and turn it over method (at my risk). I could try taping it sideways a bit and see what happens but when does a tap turn into a smack? I do not have the parts available to gain the experience.

Easiest is probably find or make an adapter for a slide hammer to fit the 1/4" BSP pressure connection, it'll probably work but might struggle with one which is badly carboned in. Sometimes just levering them carefully from side to side will loosen them enough to enable them to be pulled out by hand.

Tim

Just from looking around on the interweb, it seems that 7/16" x 24 UNS is a thread used sometimes for vehicle brake pipe fittings, maybe that's how Gardners came to use it for their leakoff connections. I expect they used Whit thread form rather than Unified, though wink.png

Tim

Edit -

Buy one of these, weld it to some M10 studding and knock up a beam from some 10mm thick flat bar to span the top of the cylinder head.

Job done, almost as good as the real thing.

Edited by Timleech

Tim, you are an absolute star! I have a heap of NOS Goodridge fittings so will check them out. But to be honest can't get to my stuff till Thursday and I probable haven't got the correct bolt anyway. There, just talked myself into buying one as they seem cheap to me. Much cheaper than when I was selling them.

Edit

Bother its an auction! I'm sure I have some Harley brake bits in the tin. Fingers crossed.

Edited by Wrinkley

We can be more than utterly pedantic and say that only applies to 0BA threads. No idea which BA threads are on LW's

BA is really all metric, even if defined originally defined in Imperial units.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Association_screw_threads

The camshaft end cover is 1BA, there's a little BA screw in the side of the cambox, I think from memory the sump gauze strainer is held with (lots of) 2BA screws, not 100% sure on that though.

Tim

The threads used on LW's sprayers are the same as the L2 which originated in 1929 probably before the common fitment of hydraulic braking systems, certainly before the common use of unified threads.

Although this diameter/pitch format is not commonly found in modern tables, it would appear that it was commonly known as Admiralty Fine Thread (ADM) generally used on pressure gauges and screwed glands on engine's

Table here http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Tables/me1.htm

The thread is also the same on LK injectors

I have made a few extractors and normally do them as a sliding hammer,it will then fit any of the engine's with the same thread.

It normally only takes a couple of bumps to release the injector.

Taps seem to be readily available from at least one supplier

Dies only appear to be available to special order (at significant cost)

Steve

Edited by Split Pin

BA is really all metric, even if defined originally defined in Imperial units.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Association_screw_threads

The camshaft end cover is 1BA, there's a little BA screw in the side of the cambox, I think from memory the sump gauze strainer is held with (lots of) 2BA screws, not 100% sure on that though.

Tim

Tim. What I was saying is the only BA screw which matches a Metric tapped hole is 0BA and 6mm the rest do not match.

The threads used on LW's sprayers are the same as the L2 which originated in 1929 probably before the common fitment of hydraulic braking systems, certainly before the common use of unified threads.

Although this diameter/pitch format is not commonly found in modern tables, it would appear that it was commonly known as Admiralty Fine Thread (ADM) generally used on pressure gauges and screwed glands on engine's

Table here http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Tables/me1.htm

The thread is also the same on LK injectors

I

Taps seem to be readily available from at least one supplier

Dies only appear to be available to special order (at significant cost)

Steve

Steve. I'm quite sure like me if you have a tap you will soon have a die that will work.

Tim. What I was saying is the only BA screw which matches a Metric tapped hole is 0BA and 6mm the rest do not match.

Steve. I'm quite sure like me if you have a tap you will soon have a die that will work.

I haven't had the need to purchase a tap or die yet, external threads get done on the lathe.

I only managed to track down what the original thread designation is today

I think that the water door original thread size is also 1 BA

The Fuel inlet to the pump is M18x1.5. The lock plate for the pump outlets are also metric (M8)

Steve

Edited by Split Pin

• 5 weeks later...