Is there a place to do such a trip in January?

Yosi Ben Aliz

Featured Posts

Hi Yosi,

a quick Google brings up lots of hire boat companies still operating in winter, it would probably also pay to check for stoppages on th CRT website for the areas you may wish to cruise.

Edited by Beaker

We hired on the broads for New Year week- we were restricted and couldn't go over Breydon water- but had a great week. I remember being sat on the roof at Potter Heigham at Midnight New Years Eve -champagne in hand watching the fireworks- Brilliant

Some routes might be restricted by stoppages for maintenance. The Ashby canal doesn't have any locks and has hire companies

You don't give any idea of where you are thinking of in the UK, but the short answer to your question is, yes.

The things that you need are;

. A hire company that hire when you want to rent

. A route that is not impacted by winter maintainence stoppages

. The weather to be not so bad that the canal is frozen

December would be more predictable for the weather, and there are more companies still hiring thnt in Jan.

We at Chas Hardern Boats www.chashardern.co.uk hire out all year and have several boats with coal fires.

However- you will be affected by stoppages, the Llangollen canal is closed at Hurleston from early Jan-March although there is plenty of other cruising available.

British weather can be very unpredictable in the winter - today is beautiful, sunny and calm great for boating. Tomorrow could be wet windy cold and unpleasant.

If you do book in the winter make sure you have plenty of warm clothes and decent waterproofs.

We at Chas Hardern Boats www.chashardern.co.uk hire out all year and have several boats with coal fires.

However- you will be affected by stoppages, the Llangollen canal is closed at Hurleston from early Jan-March although there is plenty of other cruising available.

British weather can be very unpredictable in the winter - today is beautiful, sunny and calm great for boating. Tomorrow could be wet windy cold and unpleasant.

If you do book in the winter make sure you have plenty of warm clothes and decent waterproofs.

I can recommend the above company, I last hired from them in 1980 (well my Dad did.biggrin.png )

Don't book a cruiser stern in Winter.!!

• 2 weeks later...

Yosi

If you are new to canal boat holidays the following site might be of interest

www.planetnboats.co.uk

I have a boat for hire but I skipper the boat for the journey, vacating only when the boat is safely moored, and returning when the next journey is to begin. This is an advantage to beginners or people with other responsibilities or restrictions. You can be involved as much or as little as you want and will be encouraged and guided on the ways of canal behavior and techniques.

The boat is available in January any time, so have a look and let me know

Mick