Early Engines for narrowboats

Heartland

Featured Posts

There was actually a picture published in the Times a couple of years ago which I discussed on Laurences canalscape website at the time. It was believed to be the Coggins and Arthur craft.

Ray Shill

I copied this from a L&LC file dated 1906 which was looking into the use of gas engines on tugs between Liverpool and Manchester. The boat was to visit Manchester.

gallery_6938_1_33103.jpg

The boat involved in this experiment was ex FMC steamer "Duchess" which was fitted with a Thorneycroft suction producer gas engine and ran from Brentford to Manchester.

It was not the only FMC boat to get a gas engine, Vulcan was fitted with a Crossley.

gallery_5000_522_103913.jpg

gallery_5000_522_132259.jpg

Edited by Laurence Hogg

Whilst Daresbury has been set on fire and lies in the weeds in the lock chamber some other craft look complete and salvageable as seen in this GE picture dated 2010:

gallery_5000_522_150358.jpg

If you think those flats are salvageable, then you haven't had much to do with wooden wide boats. They are a much more complicated structure than a narrow boat. Even when I photographed them in the 1970s, they were beyond salvation. You may be able to take some lines and build a new boat, but even then it would be unlikely to be anything like an exact copy.

• 3 years later...