Fire proof sealant stuff for my chimney ???

tree

Featured Posts

:) wotcha boaty fitter-outers extraordinary peeps :)

moi has a tiny... lickle problomento ...

Due to the' gutting' out of my boat, including the stove and pipe ectera,moi just put a cowl cover over the chimney top outside. Now when

its raining cats& dogs, I get a lickle leak dripping inside from the chimney pipe hole :( I have placed a bucket underneath so the drips dont

damage my new floor.) The thing is moi is moving aboard this weds/thurs ( delayed from last w/e due to horrid wind and rain stopping me

moving my boat around, so that I could use the shoreline lead)

Hence is there a product that I can sqeeze inside the gap, inside around the chimney pipe hole, to stop the drip??. I did think of using the

fire cement , but wasnt sure that was appropriate and if there is such a sealant for this particular job, then could someone let me know..

pretty please :)

I guess the simple solution would be to re-fit my stove and pipe, but alas I am not that forward in the re-fitting out to do that at present,

therefore need a temporary solution for now. Once I do re-fit the stove then what ever I have used I can remove and fit the proper fire

cement stuff. The drip drip is driving me more bonkers help.gif

many thanks

Lorraine :)

I used this and it worked for me, handles up to 1200C so you should be OKsmile.png

http://www.screwfix.com/p/mapei-mapeflex-firestop-1200-c-high-temperature-sealant-grey-300ml/25153

smile.png thank you kindly kevin smile.png

yippee!! all is now oaky doaky as sealant ordered and so aha!!...no more drip drips to drive me bonkers :)

curseys and smiles at the speed and knowledge of the forum :)

Edited by tree

smile.png wotcha boaty fitter-outers extraordinary peeps smile.png

moi has a tiny... lickle problomento ...

Due to the' gutting' out of my boat, including the stove and pipe ectera,moi just put a cowl cover over the chimney top outside. Now when

its raining cats& dogs, I get a lickle leak dripping inside from the chimney pipe hole sad.png I have placed a bucket underneath so the drips dont

damage my new floor.) The thing is moi is moving aboard this weds/thurs ( delayed from last w/e due to horrid wind and rain stopping me

moving my boat around, so that I could use the shoreline lead)

Hence is there a product that I can sqeeze inside the gap, inside around the chimney pipe hole, to stop the drip??. I did think of using the

fire cement , but wasnt sure that was appropriate and if there is such a sealant for this particular job, then could someone let me know..

pretty please smile.png

I guess the simple solution would be to re-fit my stove and pipe, but alas I am not that forward in the re-fitting out to do that at present,

therefore need a temporary solution for now. Once I do re-fit the stove then what ever I have used I can remove and fit the proper fire

cement stuff. The drip drip is driving me more bonkers help.gif

many thanks

Lorraine smile.png

Ahoy Tree. Is there not a collar on the roof ? or just a hole in the roof? that allows cats and dogs to trickle down the roofs slope and into the hole.

If just a collar your best stainless steel saucepan over it will do. If just a hole in the roof you would need to create a little artificial flange or dam around the hole with a thick circular application of goo say sillycon, likewise with any collar bolt holes, when that's cured put the saucepan over that. If the cats and dogs are trickling in from under where the collars base on the roof clean thoroughly all around where it sits on the roof with white spirit and run a bead of sillycon around its base smoothing with a wet finger. smile.png

Edited by bizzard

Ahoy Tree. Is there not a collar on the roof ? or just a hole in the roof? that allows cats and dogs to trickle down the roofs slope and into the hole.

If just a collar your best stainless steel saucepan over it will do. If just a hole in the roof you would need to create a little artificial flange or dam around the hole with a thick circular application of goo say sillycon, likewise with any collar bolt holes, when that's cured put the saucepan over that. If the cats and dogs are trickling in from under where the collars base on the roof clean thoroughly all around where it sits on the roof with white spirit and run a bead of sillycon around its base smoothing with a wet finger. smile.png

ahoy back moi woverly master bizzard smile.png

problomento had me confuddled as before 'treespiirts' past christening !!! all was super duper and no drips or leaks. moi has a lickle touch of ocd and checks every

nook and crannie.

this had me pondering quite a lot, as it does indeedy have a collar on the roof. So bought a new chimney and covered the collar bolt holes and thort ..problem solved.. erm.. nope still a drip drip.. so plan is to use the fireproof sealant that moi has just ordered, to seal the inside collar and also put some around the chimney collar on the roof. It all looks immaculate around the collar outside, not gappy bits,hence my ponderings adn Oh flipping nora 'where is it sneaking in'.

hopefully with fingers, eyes and knees crossed this will work and moi will sleep easy peasy.

tankies bizzard as i truelly do appreciate all your knowledge on problem sorty outies smile.png

Edited by tree