well not a week , a day

slowcoach

Featured Posts

i know and it wasnt us, we hired for 8 hours at the cost of £100, on the listing it said 17 mile lock free but they didntmentionthe swing bridges but i didnt have to do them son and wife did while i was on the boat, this is when we were moored up heading back, 32 foot not cockly really, after this, this iw aht made us want a narrowboat

i can only read that as this has made us want a narrowboat....

I think it's "this is what made us want a narrowboat."

"32 foot not cockly really" has got me confused though :P

Adendri, please excuse us, it's been a good Fridaaay evening and we've had a few (of course we never take the p!$$ when we're sober :( )

Seriously, it was a 2 week timeshare that got us, but I know what you mean and the first day would probably have been enough. Trouble is, looks like I've got to buy two :P

You know about Talpidae from your comments on my build log, but our son has just turned 14 and is adamant that he wants a narrowboat of his own for his 18th birthday. I suppose I've got almost 4 years to save up, or refit another.

:(

I think it's "this is what made us want a narrowboat."

"32 foot not cockly really" has got me confused though :P

Adendri, please excuse us, it's been a good Fridaaay evening and we've had a few (of course we never take the p!$$ when we're sober :( )

Seriously, it was a 2 week timeshare that got us, but I know what you mean and the first day would probably have been enough. Trouble is, looks like I've got to buy two :P

You know about Talpidae from your comments on my build log, but our son has just turned 14 and is adamant that he wants a narrowboat of his own for his 18th birthday. I suppose I've got almost 4 years to save up, or refit another.

:D

you could just buy one of them small model ones that are being made now... its a cheap option :(

....but our son has just turned 14 and is adamant that he wants a narrowboat of his own for his 18th birthday. I suppose I've got almost 4 years to save up, or refit another.

Send him out to work (paper round?). It'll teach him the value of money and what you have to do to supply him with all those little "neccessities". Perhaps as an extra incentive, you could offer to match every £1 he earns and saves with another.

:P

Ha ha! You would have a full set of spares though Moley :P

Send him out to work. It'll teach him the value of money ... you could offer to match every £1 he earns and saves with another.

He's pretty good with money.

As for matching what he saves, he's got more in the bank than I have :P

Prime example; birthday before last he was asking for a PSP (hand-held PlayStation). He'd got some money saved, and we arranged that we, grandparents and everyone else who would normally give him pressies would give money. So he'd got the best part of two hundred squid in cash, went to the game shop, came out of the game shop with no PSP and put the cash in the bank. :P

Even if it doesn't go as far as it did when we were younger, folding stuff in your pocket means so much more than numbers on paper or plastic and push buttons.

Don't miss out by ignoring options. I did for years because I wouldn't compromise. Stock Cars, not boats, but the end result is the same.

I know of an 18ft bilge keel cruiser/sailing boat. Solid grp hull. Wheelhouse needs a roof, just a sheet of ply. There was some thrown away on the riverbank last week, that would have done the job. A good clean and sanding, coat of paint which you can get a large tin of bad mix to about 6 quid. Enough to give it 2 coats a year for several years. Decent second hand outboard, and fit out with simple portable stove etc.

£150 would buy it, and you'd end up with a decent small cruiser, capable of going almost anyway, with enough room for 2 and it wouldn't cost £1000. It could probably be bodged up for much less, but I'm talking about making it presentable and relatively comfortable.

Having bilge keels means although it is slightly more draught than most small cruisers, it will be much more stable. I liked my 18ft Norman, and it is definately one of the most versatile boats I've known, however like all small light narrowbeam boats, it did rock about.

Just as I liked boating on the Witham, until I'd been up the Trent.

Don't miss out by ignoring options. I did for years because I wouldn't compromise. Stock Cars, not boats, but the end result is the same.

I know of an 18ft bilge keel cruiser/sailing boat. Solid grp hull. Wheelhouse needs a roof, just a sheet of ply. There was some thrown away on the riverbank last week, that would have done the job. A good clean and sanding, coat of paint which you can get a large tin of bad mix to about 6 quid. Enough to give it 2 coats a year for several years. Decent second hand outboard, and fit out with simple portable stove etc.

£150 would buy it, and you'd end up with a decent small cruiser, capable of going almost anyway, with enough room for 2 and it wouldn't cost £1000. It could probably be bodged up for much less, but I'm talking about making it presentable and relatively comfortable.

Having bilge keels means although it is slightly more draught than most small cruisers, it will be much more stable. I liked my 18ft Norman, and it is definately one of the most versatile boats I've known, however like all small light narrowbeam boats, it did rock about.

Just as I liked boating on the Witham, until I'd been up the Trent.

:closedeyes: Brisca's beautiful Supermalc !!

• 1 month later...
We've hired from Pennine before and are doing so again for a February break next year. Been assured all the stoppages should be done by then. Can't wait. Until we get our own boat we have to keep having a "quick fix" holiday ;)

Have you thaught of shared ownership? (NB avoid timeshare!). Shares in older boats can be bought for under £2000 plus around £90 per month (X 12 = £1080 per year) giving 4 weeks per year on the boat and the share can still be sold. I am in a private "self help" group and monthly costs are less than half the above.

Have you thaught of shared ownership? (NB avoid timeshare!). Shares in older boats can be bought for under £2000 plus around £90 per month (X 12 = £1080 per year) giving 4 weeks per year on the boat and the share can still be sold. I am in a private "self help" group and monthly costs are less than half the above.

Any groups you can reccomend to an "overseas customer" who can only get to England every 2 years?

Any groups you can reccomend to an "overseas customer" who can only get to England every 2 years?

When we had a share in a boat via Ownerships, there was a Canadian couple who had a share as well, but I think that they came over every year.

What about seeing if there are any other 'overseas customers' who can also only get over every two years and then sharing a share? (Cuts all your costs by half - Ownerships don't have a problem with 'shared' shares and will send out the annual info packs to both of the shareholders)