Oil filled electric heater leak can it be repaired?

rubblequeen

Featured Posts

Hi we have an oil filled electric radiator that has started to leak on the edge seam, very small amount so I don't think the amount lost will be an issue if I can repair the seam/joint.

I thought about some sort of resin putty could be stuck on externally but wouldn't know what would be best.

Any ideas or recommendations what to use would be appreciated, or is it a terminal case?

You can try the above (after all, you have nothing to lose), but experience tells me that anything oily is a PITA to stick things to!

Turn it upside down (so any air grap will be at the point you're trying to repair), clean well, then seal.

On the other hand, I wouldn't trust it and would replace it. Oil on the carpet would get me well and truly hanged!

Bin it and get a new one, its not worth the risk. How much pressure build up is there inside the rad when its hot? what happens if you lose all the oil and its still switched on not even considering the mess the oil makes.

I think that's what I've decided to do but just wondered if it was possible. Doesn't look like it.

Thanks all anyway

You can try the above (after all, you have nothing to lose), but experience tells me that anything oily is a PITA to stick things to!

Turn it upside down (so any air grap will be at the point you're trying to repair), clean well, then seal.

On the other hand, I wouldn't trust it and would replace it. Oil on the carpet would get me well and truly hanged!

i could be wrong but i thought oil filled heaters were supposed to be kept upright all the time.

i could be wrong but i thought oil filled heaters were supposed to be kept upright all the time.

when switched on...

I very much doubt they were packed vertical on the boat from china....

and certainly the ones I've bought have come in boxes with no particular orientation and one was delivered by courier...