Short break on the Oxford

lampini

Featured Posts

Hi all,

first timer (me) and did-it-as-a-teenager (him) going for a 3 night trip up the Oxford canal. Got a 33' Trad (with a stove in! biggrin.png) from College Cruisers in Oxford..

I did my homework and there's no stoppages affecting us (return day is the 4th Nov).

We're both getting very exited!

Any tips/places to see/known hazards we should be aware of?

Cheers!boat.gif

ETA.. and how far do you think we'll get (ish) if we leave friday afternoon and have to turn around on Sunday morning?

Edited by lampini

There's another thread running at the moment about the South Oxford - the comments can be read across for your post.

For planning look at the canal planner website http://canalplan.eu/ It should help answer the how far can we get.

Your biggest issues will be the section above Thrupp which is on the Cherwell and can be impassable after periods of heavy rain and also the short daylight hours. Don't rush, take your time and have a good trip.

Thanks Chalky,

I had read the other thread, it seemed to concentrate more on the north of Heyford section - but i WAS wondering about the Cherwell river-y bit - you read my mind!clapping.gif

If conditions are bad we would only go as far as Thrupp (- two pubs AND a tea room!) hopefully we WILL get as far as Thrupp..

Cheers!cheers.gif

The Cherwell may be a problem.

We've had a shed load of rain recently and it will be on its way up.

I'd say a comfortable turnaround point would be Aynho

Would love to get that far.. have to see how soon i stop zig-zagging up the cut.. boat.gificecream.gif

The Highwayman at Langford (South Thrupp wink.png ) is ok - I've recently heard that they've opened up a curry house in the pub. Not tried it yet although its the closest pub to me.

I walk past the Jolly Boatman to get to The Boat Inn at Thrupp - read in to that whatever you wish

The Boat in at Thrupp is alway fairly lively on a Friday evening as that's when most of the local boater congregate - about 3 - 4 hours from Oxford

The Rock of Gibraltar at Enslow has recently changed hands and is now run by a boater

The last few times I've eaten at The Bell, Lower Heyford, the food has been very dissapointing.

The Crown at Upper Heyford is good food but a bit of a walk

The Great Western at Aynho is excellent and a fav' weekend cruise for me.

.................. Oh - and the canal is quite nice to biggrin.png

The Cherwell may be a problem.

We've had a shed load of rain recently and it will be on its way up.

I'd say a comfortable turnaround point would be Aynho

Went and looked today and it was in the yellow, but it was also in the yellow last week when Bakers lock was in the green, From the actual measurement board its about +50mm

You will probably find this link useful. It shows the level of the Cherwell at Thrupp:

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/riverlevels/136497.aspx?stationId=7066

It's on the rise at the moment but otherwise it's at the lower end of typical range but as we saw last winter, things can change quite rapidly.

Maybe see you in the pub (The Boat inn - number 1 on PJ's extensive and thoroughly researched list)!

cheers.gif

The Highwayman at Langford (South Thrupp wink.png ) is ok - I've recently heard that they've opened up a curry house in the pub. Not tried it yet although its the closest pub to me.

I walk past the Jolly Boatman to get to The Boat Inn at Thrupp - read in to that whatever you wish

The Boat in at Thrupp is alway fairly lively on a Friday evening as that's when most of the local boater congregate - about 3 - 4 hours from Oxford

The Rock of Gibraltar at Enslow has recently changed hands and is now run by a boater

The last few times I've eaten at The Bell, Lower Heyford, the food has been very dissapointing.

Had the best chiilie beef I have ever had out at The Boat last night. Diana had Pork Medallions and there was loads. Thrupp moorings are very quiet at the moment and a good place to stop on the first night. Remember you need a BW/CaRT key to operate the lift bridge in Thrupp and to unlock the manual bridges between Thrupp and Oxford.

You will probably find this link useful. It shows the level of the Cherwell at Thrupp:

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/riverlevels/136497.aspx?stationId=7066

It's on the rise at the moment but otherwise it's at the lower end of typical range but as we saw last winter, things can change quite rapidly.

Maybe see you in the pub (The Boat inn - number 1 on PJ's extensive and thoroughly researched list)!

cheers.gif

Thanks for the link.

Had the best chiilie beef I have ever had out at The Boat last night. Diana had Pork Medallions and there was loads. Thrupp moorings are very quiet at the moment and a good place to stop on the first night. Remember you need a BW/CaRT key to operate the lift bridge in Thrupp and to unlock the manual bridges between Thrupp and Oxford.

Thanks for the link.

Indeed - thank you all so very much for your replies - this trip means a lot to us both, it may herald a new lifestyle in the making - we were told to try a winter hire first, so here goes! I've had a wood burner most of my life, and also lived in a bus - now to add the water! :-)

Went and looked today and it was in the yellow, but it was also in the yellow last week when Bakers lock was in the green, From the actual measurement board its about +50mm

The indicator above Shipton lock shows yellow all of the time - even during the recent dry Summer (do you remember that cool.png )

I work on the ground that it's un-navagable when the flood gate at Shipton bridge is shut - that's if Pinkio remembers to shut it wink.png

The indicator above Shipton lock shows yellow all of the time - even during the recent dry Summer (do you remember that cool.png )

I work on the ground that it's un-navagable when the flood gate at Shipton bridge is shut - that's if Pinkio remembers to shut it wink.png

Oi - who you telling to shut it!? tongue.png

Edited by pinkoi

barley Mo at Upper heyford has been greatly praised of late.

cheers.gif

This is handy. Thanks for the link. We leaving Oxford tomorrow and intending to arrive at Thrupp mid to late afternoon. And Dick & Sue - we met up with them on narrowboat Dorris - they highly rec the Boat Inn, so it looks like we might be going there tomorrow night. Small world isn't it. Maybe meet up cheers.gif

Oh, and lampini .... you will have a great time :)

O

This is handy. Thanks for the link. We leaving Oxford tomorrow and intending to arrive at Thrupp mid to late afternoon. And Dick & Sue - we met up with them on narrowboat Dorris - they highly rec the Boat Inn, so it looks like we might be going there tomorrow night. Small world isn't it. Maybe meet up :cheers:

Oh, and lampini .... you will have a great time :)

O

Thanks Pelicanafloat, will keep an eye on conditions and I recon we'll be in The Boat in Thrupp Friday week - if anyone feels like coming in and regaling us with tales of life on the cut! ;-)

Thanks Pelicanafloat, will keep an eye on conditions and I recon we'll be in The Boat in Thrupp Friday week - if anyone feels like coming in and regaling us with tales of life on the cut! ;-)

Please remember that if you leave College Cruisers after three it will be dark before you get to Thrupp. You will not be insured to travel after dark

Edited by Maffi

Please remember that if you leave College Cruisers after three it will be dark before you get to Thrupp. You will not be insured to travel after dark

I think they thought of that - they said they want to get us going by 1.30pm.. recon we'd make it? Having said that, i'd just be happy (as a newbie!) to just make it to the Plough at Wolvercote! cloud9.gif Sorry - we're both rather exited..rolleyes.gif

You'll be a week late. I'll be there tonight

......... if pushed, I suppose I could make it there next week as well

cheers.gif

You'll be a week late. I'll be there tonight

......... if pushed, I suppose I could make it there next week as well

cheers.gif

Or pulled... by a decent pint maybe?!

Wish we could be there tonight.. have a good one,, cheers.gif

ETA Even if we don't make it quite ALL the way before dark, i can see us taking a yomp up the towpath - it's the kind of crazy stuff we like!ninja.gif

Edited by lampini

It took us 4 hrs but we were going quite slowly to make sure the batteries were charged.

If you are traveling along the Oxford can I recommend this book for you, its fiction but the places are real

http://www.amazon.com/The-Haunted-Bridge-Strange-Oxford/dp/1904623158

It took us 4 hrs but we were going quite slowly to make sure the batteries were charged.

If you are traveling along the Oxford can I recommend this book for you, its fiction but the places are real

http://www.amazon.com/The-Haunted-Bridge-Strange-Oxford/dp/1904623158

Thanks Ditchcrawler, wether we make it or not to Thrupp is prolly going to be down to the weather.. loving the book recommendation though - the OH runs Sutton libraries so he's going to try to find it for us to take with - looks like the perfect halloween cruising read!

smile.png