My miracle 12 year old Lumax leisure Batteries.

Capt.Golightly

Featured Posts

Is it possible for a bank of three 100ah Lumax Leisure Battery's to last twelve years? I am wondering this as since having purchased my boat 6 weeks ago and having been on Shoreline since (living with dim 12v lights and a trickle of water) my Battery's have simply refused to take any charge and my fridge has consistently indicated that the voltage has dropped below its 10v cutout. Either the previous owner ran an incredible battery care regime which just happened to collapse three weeks after he stepped off or the receipt I found for blacking in a boatyard not half a mile from the one it was purchased in and three days previous to her arrival here shows where the serviceable batteries were removed and replaced with these planks....what do you reckon? p.s I could have negotiated on the price at the time had the marine Electrician who was supposed to carry out the engine rewire done so when he was supposed to and then when he turned up 5 weeks late not failed entirely to spot the reason for the Batteries not charging despite being down there rewiring for four bleeding hours!!! When I asked why he thought they weren't charging he said "I've no idea and the Vendor came whilst I was checking her initially for what work was needed and he didn't know either"..now I may not be able to prevent people from being dishonest but it REALLY pulls my chain when they also insult my intelligence!! I guess this is my own fault for trusting people, particularly "professional" ones, a lesson I should have learned repeatedly as a former NHS "whistle blower" over the last ten years or so really. When yesterday I finally checked myself it took me all of five seconds to spot what the Surveyor and Electrician had both missed as the probable cause of her lifeless 12v. system... THE DATE ON THE TOP OF THE BATTERIES DEC 1999!!

Edited by Capt.Golightly

The answer to the question is "unlikely". As for the rest of the post, I simply do not understand what you are saying. Are you suggesting someone removed serviceable batteries and replaced them with duff ones or are you saying some new batteries fitted during blacking only lasted 3 days/six weeks?

I would have thought it more likely that the boat has spent a long time on a shoreline with charger permanently attached and running masking the true state of the batteries. The date of manufacture doesn't necessarily bear any relationship to when the batteries first went into service. I hope this is the case as the alternative, ie: swapping good batteries for duffers is not something I would expect from any seller.

Thanks Blodger, I am really hoping I am wrong in my suspicions as I am really sick of being casually screwed at every turn with seeming impunity and of having such a low default setting on my opinion of the honesty of my fellow man...thats exactly what I'm thinking Tony, that the vendor offset the cost of her blacking by having a deal on the possibly expensive battery's removed and replaced them with the old "spares" he had kept...I am afraid my experience over the last years has given me a very low opinion of human nature...and thanks JDR I too truly hope you are right.

Edited by Capt.Golightly

I would have thought it more likely that the boat has spent a long time on a shoreline with charger permanently attached and running masking the true state of the batteries. The date of manufacture doesn't necessarily bear any relationship to when the batteries first went into service. I hope this is the case as the alternative, ie: swapping good batteries for duffers is not something I would expect from any seller.

I am now going with this too as it has made me feel better my friend, thank you! she's an old boat and in fairness I expected to have to replace stuff on her, I am also aware that it is my often poor mental health which causes me to leap rapidly to hostile interpretation (the price of having been formerly employed by the NHS I'm afraid). Thanks again.

In the absence of any proof to the contrary I think you are wise to put a positive spin on it. The default setting for dealing with boaters is honesty and it can take a while to recalibrate your expectations (common sense obviously applies). Having worked for shitty employers I know how it can affect your worldview. I would be happy that you have diagnosed a fault that can be fixed easily albeit with unwanted expense. Remember what boat stands for, bring out another thousand.

In the absence of any proof to the contrary I think you are wise to put a positive spin on it. The default setting for dealing with boaters is honesty and it can take a while to recalibrate your expectations (common sense obviously applies). Having worked for shitty employers I know how it can affect your worldview. I would be happy that you have diagnosed a fault that can be fixed easily albeit with unwanted expense. Remember what boat stands for, bring out another thousand.

I apologise to all for my initial rant, though in honesty it had to be done to gain a healthier perspective as without external balance my head has a tendency to fry itself in latter days, and in respect to those I have thus far encountered in my new World I have to say I agree, they do seem to be a peculiarly honest and friendly group of people...and even though it may have appeared otherwise I always require concrete proof before actually naming names and leveling allegations rather than merely giving vent to generalised vitriolic suspicion elsewhere, (Dulcinea being her new name) a tendency I hope my more pacific life to come will lessen...doing so on here today and the measured and reassuring responses has truly made me feel a whole lot better..and I thank all who took the time and trouble to respond...afteral a tendency to foolishness only becomes true idiocy when it loses sight of its own tendency to foolishness.. wink.png Andrew.

Edited by Capt.Golightly

a set of numbers Richard..why? as if I am even wronger I shall be even happier!...ie year 90 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9...month 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12...thanks.

Um, what does it say on the battery?

first thought, and it isn't right here, is American and UK date formats

Richard

Richard

As you were! don't interrupt me with facts when I'm ranting! The Batteries are "Numax Leisure" 100AH the date "year" is given as 9012345678 and below it says:

Indicator Condition O (circle which is green) Good Condition O (circle which is black) Charging Necessary O (circle which is white) Needs Replacing.

I am wondering this as since having purchased my boat 6 weeks ago and having been on Shoreline since (living with dim 12v lights and a trickle of water) my Battery's have simply refused to take any charge and my fridge has consistently indicated that the voltage has dropped below its 10v cutout.

I would expect if you are permanently on shoreline and your charger is turned on, that your lights, water pump and fridge should be running OK.

The charger would be running these items, up to its maximum output, the batteries just sitting there happily doing nothing and being fully charged.

Maybe a check on the charging circuits ?

One proviso the batteries may well be dead but if the charger is on, the above items would still work, from the charger.

That is exactly what i would expect from some. It is also what i would expect from certain brokers, especially if a "friend" had battery problems. - no proof, just a general feeling.

Richard

Dose not matter.

The number indicating the year after 1990 should have been obliterated as should the month's number so if the year marking was 90 1 2 3 5 6 7 8 9 the date would have been 1994 with 4 being the obliterated year.

When I was dealing with batteries it was sup to the vendor to do this when the battery was sold.

When you're buying a boat, there are certain things that you need to consider as 'consumable items'.

Batteries are one of these.

You could have bought a boat with < one year old batteries in it. They might still bee knackered due to miss use/neglect by the previous owner

You pays your money and takes a chance

When you're buying a boat, there are certain things that you need to consider as 'consumable items'.

Batteries are one of these.

You could have bought a boat with < one year old batteries in it. They might still bee knackered due to miss use/neglect by the previous owner

You pays your money and takes a chance

I agree there. On all the boats we have looked at recently, I have assumed the batteries, pumps etc will have to be replaced. If they last six months or so, that will be a bonus.

Edited by OldPeculier