novel way to fish

charlie_p

Featured Posts

I should start by saying that my opinion of fishermen is pretty low at the best of times but this morning when it was pitch dark about 6.0 on my way happily to the toilet block a gruff wee voice called out " Watch the lines " turning about as I tried to put a body to the voice but there was nobody to be seen , it was then I realized there where 3 guys in the garden adjoining the towpath with there rods resting over the 5 foot fence, there lines merrily stretching into the canal,

oh! nearly forgot , its also the water point lol clapping.gif

Returning from a trip to Llangollen I was boating through Pitstone last Sunday. Passing a fisherman I cheerily asked "How's your luck?"

"Too many bloody boats" he moaned.

"Ah I wonder if that was why they built the canals" I responded.

Then he flummoxed me with what was either a deeply philosophical statement or the thoughts of an idiot.

"The fish were here before the canals"

Eh? I am still pondering this 3 days later

Came across one the other month. Fishing from a short lock mooring, no other room, and the off side was thick with reeds.

We headed in slowly, and I warned him we needed the mooring. Nothing, no movement or attempt to get his keep net out of the way.

Being the stubborn bugger I can be I just continued in slowly and at the last second he seemed to realize I wasn't going to stop and.grabbed his net out of way. He yelled and cursed "Why don't you use the other side?"

"Because it's not usable" says I. "Anyway your not supposed to fish from lock moorings"

"Rubbish, never heard that"

We left it at that, he didn't stop chuttering all the time we were there.

Bob

I should start by saying that my opinion of fishermen is pretty low at the best of times but this morning when it was pitch dark about 6.0 on my way happily to the toilet block a gruff wee voice called out " Watch the lines " turning about as I tried to put a body to the voice but there was nobody to be seen , it was then I realized there where 3 guys in the garden adjoining the towpath with there rods resting over the 5 foot fence, there lines merrily stretching into the canal,

oh! nearly forgot , its also the water point lol clapping.gif

Next time bring a pair of shears with you to the toilet.cool.png

Edited by Gingerbeer

Shock horror!

We passed a match on the S&K on Saturday and I thought as the sun was out I'd be nice and gave a thumbs up or wave to each one who lifted his pole as we approached.

Virtually everyone of them nodded or waived back in return........not had that before hence I stopped doing it ages ago.

Must be an East Yorkshire thing....

Shock horror!

We passed a match on the S&K on Saturday and I thought as the sun was out I'd be nice and gave a thumbs up or wave to each one who lifted his pole as we approached.

Virtually everyone of them nodded or waived back in return........not had that before hence I stopped doing it ages ago.

Must be an East Yorkshire thing....

Dont you mean south yorkshire old bean? or even Lincs at one end?

Tim

Dont you mean south yorkshire old bean? or even Lincs at one end?

Tim

Yes - I was getting my geography confused - it wasn't the Lincs. bit we only went as far as Thorne.

Come on now, dont tar all fisherman with the same brush, i am a boater and fisherman, so i can say for both, boater can be miserable stuck up arrogant gits and fisherman can be numb headed awkward idiots aswell, but i would say boaters are the worst if they dont get what they want, we are all there for the same thing and to enjoy the canals, i have even been on fishing forums and said the same to try and get them to see sense ,

There was a time when i first started boatingi had just got a GRP boat and was crusiing to my new mooring through Leigh, there was a big match on and of all things my engine decided to cut out, well off it went floating around the cut, i ran into 2 fisherman, they pushed the boat out, i was facing the wrong way and in my panic i forgot the engine was put into full throttle and when it fired up, hell i nearly went over the back end, smack into the bank, i then had to turn around and carry on my journey.

So i can see why fisherman get cheesed of with boater at times lol, on my way back through i found it rained maggots and ground bait, which wasnt all tnhat bad as i needed bait for when i got to my mooring lol, i did have a chuckle afterwardstongue.png

• Greenie 1

I'm a keen angler as well. All that's needed is for boaters to throttle back a little for a minute or so. That's all, nothing else. That alone, if every boater did it, would do wonders for boater/ angler relationships. I'd say from my experience that around half the boats going past do this. Cruisers rarely throttle back at all and seem generally to go fast everywhere, not sure why that is.

Then it would just need the occasional selfish angler to realise that other people pay to use the canal too.

I've often wondered if grumpy people are drawn to angling or if angling makes people grumpy, but either way my cheery greetings as I pass on tickover are often met with ignorance or abuse. One guy the other day treated me to a mouthful of F words in front of his young son. I advised the said young person to cover his ears, which amused him, if not his father.

Then it would just need the occasional selfish angler to realise that other people pay to use the canal too.

Indeed, much more too!

Returning from a trip to Llangollen I was boating through Pitstone last Sunday. Passing a fisherman I cheerily asked "How's your luck?"

"Too many bloody boats" he moaned.

You have to question the mentality of fishermen who come out with statements like that. If you sit near a railway line, you're bound to see trains!

Edited by Doorman

I'm a keen angler as well. All that's needed is for boaters to throttle back a little for a minute or so. That's all, nothing else. That alone, if every boater did it, would do wonders for boater/ angler relationships. I'd say from my experience that around half the boats going past do this. Cruisers rarely throttle back at all and seem generally to go fast everywhere, not sure why that is.

Cruisers of the small variety on narrow canals are far lighter with virtualy no draft against say a narrowboat and as most owners state are a bit like a floating crisp packet. If they go too slowly even a slight wind will blow them in to the fishermen who would moan even more then methinks. Maybe thats why they appear to go fast most of the time?

Tim