Hire boats and dogs

Neil2

Featured Posts

My plans to buy another boat this year have pretty much fallen apart, so I'm looking to hire something next month just so I can get some cruising in before the Winter.

Our problem is we have three dogs. Most of the companies I've looked at have a two dog maximum so it's simple question, does anyone know of a hire company that will accept three dogs?

We're not at all bothered where we go, except the Thames and K&A are probably too far away.

Just a thought but if anyone actually finds out for sure, can you post the websites of these places? We only have two dogs but who knows, maybe someday we could have three. Any good information is nice to stash away for another time.

I certainly will.

We have never set a limit or charged for pets or cars

That said we don't do winter hire and with our restructure won't have any pet friendly boats going forward so sorry can't help.

That is sad to hear no more dogs. I had your hire in my bookmarks as being pet friendly. We won't go anywhere without our dogs, they are like children to us. But you gotta do what you gotta do I guess.

Napton Narrowboats (who we have hired from but with one dog only) state this on their web site-

Extras-
Well behaved and clean pets are welcome on all of our boats, but there is a charge of £35 per pet per week.
Again not stipulating a max. number (but it will be bit pricey for three!) Good hire co. though.
Ashby boat company, another good co. who we have also hired with (though sans pooch) say this in their booking conditions-
14. PETS:
14.1 Pets are allowed on the boat only with the Company’s permission. You shall give notice
of any pets You wish to bring at the time of making the booking.
14.2 The Company’s charges for pets are set out in the pop-up.
14.3 You must provide any pet baskets or blankets.
14.4 All pets must be properly house trained or caged as appropriate, must never be left
unattended, and shall not be allowed on bedding or chairs.
14.5 Pets and pet damage are not covered under the Company’s insurance policy and You
will be liable for any additional cleaning damage or loss caused by them.
Again no max. number stated, they currently charge £20 per pet (though doesn't say per week)
Edited by The Dog House

That is sad to hear no more dogs. I had your hire in my bookmarks as being pet friendly. We won't go anywhere without our dogs, they are like children to us. But you gotta do what you gotta do I guess.

It is sad and certainly not a decision based on dogs - it is complete coincidence the boats we are removing from the fleet are the pet friendly ones

Grace we are keeping primarily because we use that ourselves and I am allergic to pets so that will remain pet free.

Napton Narrowboats (who we have hired from but with one dog only) state this on their web site-

Extras-
Well behaved and clean pets are welcome on all of our boats, but there is a charge of £35 per pet per week.

Whilst we haven't done I can see why companies charge for pets. Despite the T's and C's we often find beds and seats covered in pet hair and mud everywhere, showers blocked with pet hairs and some extra special treatment of our white fluffy towels.

It is sad and certainly not a decision based on dogs - it is complete coincidence the boats we are removing from the fleet are the pet friendly ones

Grace we are keeping primarily because we use that ourselves and I am allergic to pets so that will remain pet free.

Am I reading it right then that you will be a two boat only company (Grace and Stumble) and are losing Isabel, Florence and Rosa May ?? - 3 boats going??

Whilst we haven't done I can see why companies charge for pets. Despite the T's and C's we often find beds and seats covered in pet hair and mud everywhere, showers blocked with pet hairs and some extra special treatment of our white fluffy towels.

I have no problem with additional charges at all - I just think the charges in this country are extortionate sometimes and inconsistent as demonstrated by the charges made by Ashby and Napton in the above posts. One charges £20 per pet per holiday the other charges £35 per week, that's a considerable difference for a two week holiday where three dogs are involved.

it's the same in hotels we often have been charged £20 per night (sometimes more) even in the most basic hotels (Travelodge) whereas in the French equivalent, IBIS budget we pay 5 Euros per night for Dennis.

Am I reading it right then that you will be a two boat only company (Grace and Stumble) and are losing Isabel, Florence and Rosa May ?? - 3 boats going??

We might only operate Grace next year (still not sure what to do with Strumble) and even then not in school holidays.

The time has come to spend more quality time with our children on a weekend and actually go boating

I can understand that. Our dogs don't shed so many people with dog allergies rarely have issues around them but I think with dog ownership should come responsible owners. These same people probably won't let their kids come in the house with muddy shoes or make a mess everywhere but will allow the dogs to do it. If my dogs come in dirty, they go right to the sink and get their feet dunked in water or washed off completely. The day they decided to eat and roll in duck and goose poop on a walk was a bath day for sure.

We might only operate Grace next year (still not sure what to do with Strumble) and even then not in school holidays.

The time has come to spend more quality time with our children on a weekend and actually go boating

Nice one!

Strumble is a lovely little boat, a Doug Moore IIRC, if I was in the market and the price was right I'd snap her up...

Nice one!

Strumble is a lovely little boat, a Doug Moore IIRC, if I was in the market and the price was right I'd snap her up...

Exactly, I spent years looking for a Doug Moore and that is why I am struggling to decide what to do. She is too small for the family and too expensive to have as a pet!

Thank you to everyone for the replies, I have found hire fleets that do accept more than two dogs but as usual it's at a price.

The norm seems to be about £25 per dog.

I remember having an exchange of correspondence with one of the Black Prince directors on this point. I asked him if he paid his cleaners any more for cleaning a boat where the hirers had dogs. His reply, which isn't entirely unreasonable, was no, the surcharge is based on the cost of potential damage to a boat, and he explained there were cases where the interior of a boat had been virtually torn apart by a dog, costing thousands to put right.

But as most companies ask you for a non refundable damage waiver anyway, it seems to me this is a bit of a double whammy for dog owners.

We are in the hospitality business and dogs are allowed free of charge but I'm thinking of a surcharge for teenage boys.

I may leave this until the last minute and see if I can do a bit of horse trading but at least now I have a short list.

Martin....we're buying Rosa~May, so you'll still be seeing her around!

We're off for a three week cruise on her starting tomorrow...

Janet

Enjoy!

I sort of suspected you were buying a CBE boat when you said in a previous post you were "buying a boat you knew well". Confirmed then.

Give us wave if you pass our way.

My plans to buy another boat this year have pretty much fallen apart, so I'm looking to hire something next month just so I can get some cruising in before the Winter.

Our problem is we have three dogs. Most of the companies I've looked at have a two dog maximum so it's simple question, does anyone know of a hire company that will accept three dogs?

We're not at all bothered where we go, except the Thames and K&A are probably too far away.

Hi Neil, we are a dog friendly hire boat company, we have three large dogs ourselves and have cruised very comfortably with all three on board. We do not charge extra for dogs and even provide a dog welcome pack, which includes treats and a dog towel. All we ask is that you leave the boat clean and free from dog hair when you leave. You can check out our website here www.bearboating.co.uk and there are many more photos on our Facebook page www.facebook.com/bearboating

ETA the links which i couldn't do from my phone!

Edited by JessicaBOO

Completely coincidentally I was about to suggest Chas Hardern as they seem a very nice company, friends have hired from them and they have a very regal looking greyhound called Chutney, for a photo click here, I hope she is still around looking regal but I have just realised that the photo is 4 years old :-( Time we got up there again!

Edited by RichardN

Thanks again for all the helpful contributions, I got something sorted before Crispy's post otherwise I think we would probably have gone there, Chas Hardern are obviously very dog oriented and Chutney is clearly a long lost relative of our own greyhound Harvey.

We are Leeds Liverpool veterans otherwise I would have been tempted by Bearboating - those Newfoundlands are amazing, I once did some work for a lady who bred them and she had five of her own!