Autumnal boating: Warwick to Foxton and back?

esotericmatt

Featured Posts

Hi all,

A few weeks ago some friends and I decided to do a last minute canal trip as we didn't do one last year and didn't want to go two years without being on the water!

Anyways, we're picking up a boat from Kate Boats in Warwick next Saturday for a week and have a vague plan to head towards Foxton and back.

So I've got a few questions.

1. We're fairly experienced and adept at locks, but we've never cruised in autumn before, so do you think going to Foxton and back feasible?

2. I've never done the Leicster line, and only ever done Braunston to Warwick in the other direction towards the end of the holiday so we've not tended to stop much. We're not a "we have to get there" bunch, so we'd be interested in knowing if there are interesting things along the way to stop and see if they aren't too far.

3. On the subject of Braunston, we're hoping to be there for Sunday lunchtime, do any if the pubs serve a good roast?

4. From my initial plans it looks like after we do Foxton locks we'd pretty much need to about turn and head back. Is it poor form to just go down the locks, pooter along to the next winding hole (am thinking of heading down the Market Harborough arm) and going straight back up?

5. Finally, any particular tips about boating in autumn? Or boating on the Leicester line? (The staircases don't worry me by the way).

Thanks, any advice great fully received.

Matt

Cant offer tips on the route but tips on Autumnal boating I can.

Remember that banks can be slippery with wet leaves and moss etc. Take extra time and care.

Try and keep wrapped up warm. It is surprisingly easy to get chilled and not realise. Plenty of hot drinks and plenty of warm clothing etc.

Dont try and set yourselves too much cruising to do each day. The weather can turn and you dont want to feel pressured into carrying on just to reach a destination in rubbish weather. This is how mistakes happen when feeling pressured into reaching a certain place.

Keep the fire lit or the heating on. Its nice at the end of the day to have a warm, dry place to kick back and relax.

Most of all enjoy the scenery. Boating in autumn and winter is a joy to behold with stunning scenes as the leaves change. Take that camera.....

The Nelson in Braunston for a good but not cheap sunday lunch,probably need to book.Crick is worth mooring at for selection of pubs.Yelvertoft has a good pub about ten minute walk from water.Foxton I would turn at top lock and wander down the staircase to have a look around Foxton locks unless you have time to go Market Harborough which is well worth a visit.Welford arm is worth doing for the pub.Its lovely along this stretch enjoy.

Ian.

I would agree with Ianali having done similar to your intention, although we sailed from our marina near Wigrams Turn.

With regards to Autumnal cruising it is fantastic. Not too cold, nor a lots of boats around and fabulous colours.

With leaves in the canal they can collect around the prop. Just put the boat in reverse occasionally to clear any leaves which accumulate.

Enjoy it.

Edited by Ray T

You say next Saturday, do you mean Sat 28 Sept? Even if you mean Sat 5 Oct, it is not really going to be autumn. I know the weather is cooling a bit over the next few days but it has been like mid summer on the GU between Calcutt and Braunston this week. There has been a constant stream of Kate Boats boats going past, they seem to be doing much better than some of the other hire operators at the moment, at least in getting the numbers of boats out. There are still lots of boats around in general too.

You easily have 11 hours of daylight available if you want to put in long days too. Make certain you understand the hours of operation of Watford and Foxton locks, as that could constrain you. From the CRT boaters guide

Friday 19th April - Sunday 29th September. Locks

open Monday to Thursday 8am to 7pm. Last

boat in 6.15pm Locks Open Friday to Sunday

8am to 7pm. Last boat 6.15pm.

Monday 30th September - Thursday 31st October. Locks

open Monday to Thursday 8am to 5pm. Last

boat in 4.15pm Locks Open Friday to Sunday

8am to 6pm. Last boat 5.15pm

So you just need some warmer clothes and wet weather gear, other than that much like mid summer, or perhaps just like summer 2012 really.

Unless you get off promptly on the Saturday, I think Braunston for Sunday lunch is a push, probably safer to plan around Saturday night there, with lunch being the optimistic plan. At Foxton you can see where you are time wise, as to going down or turning at the top, given it will be last boat in at 4:15 when you are there.

The Leicester line is lovely, but very isolated. Not many shops!

The most interesting excursion I have found is to walk around the reservoir at Welford. As Ian has said there is a lot to explore at Foxton if you don't get to Market Harborough - though latter is well worth a visit (I went there in May).

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

Thanks for all the advice so far, much appreciated. We're picking up on the 5th.

I had been wondering about the Welford arm. I suspect we'll wind at the top of Foxton locks and just have a marvel at them and the Plane.

We're ok with long hours, often going from dawn till dusk in summer. I'm hoping to get away promptly on Saturday as it would be nice to get to Long Itchington that night, but that's almost certainly a pipe dream.

Thanks for all the advice so far, much appreciated. We're picking up on the 5th.

I had been wondering about the Welford arm. I suspect we'll wind at the top of Foxton locks and just have a marvel at them and the Plane.

We're ok with long hours, often going from dawn till dusk in summer. I'm hoping to get away promptly on Saturday as it would be nice to get to Long Itchington that night, but that's almost certainly a pipe dream.

Perhaps give Kate Boats a call the day before and see it there is any chance of picking it up early, you may be lucky and the boat has not been out the week before.

The most interesting excursion I have found is to walk around the reservoir at Welford. As Ian has said there is a lot to explore at Foxton if you don't get to Market Harborough - though latter is well worth a visit (I went there in May).

If you mean food shops there are a few.Crick has a good coop plus post office/village store.Post office/small store at Yelvertoft.Decent little store at Welford.Great little farm shop at Foxton plus the little shop by bridge 61.

Ian.