Stove Identification thread..

eggpie

Featured Posts

I decided it's time to clean out the stove ready for winter. When I opened it, I discovered the grate inside is cracked (okay, its split in two..). I suspect this means I should buy a new one. However, I have no idea what kind of stove it is. Does anyone recognise this?

stove.JPG

Yes. I know the floor needs cleaning..

Alternatively, what else can I use as a grate? Someone suggested cast iron drain covers?

I decided it's time to clean out the stove ready for winter. When I opened it, I discovered the grate inside is cracked (okay, its split in two..). I suspect this means I should buy a new one. However, I have no idea what kind of stove it is. Does anyone recognise this?

stove.JPG

Yes. I know the floor needs cleaning..

Alternatively, what else can I use as a grate? Someone suggested cast iron drain covers?

Those screw in vents look a lot like the ones used by Evergreen, if it had two more vents high up on the front it would look like the Evergreen Larch. They don't seem to show this model on their website now though, perhaps it is from a discontinued line. We have had Evergreen spares from Northern Fabrications in the past, and they might be able to source a grate.

Edited by peter n

Are they cracks in the side castings that have been filled? The sides seem to be spreading outwards at the top and the door isn't aligned to the body anymore..

If it was me I would buy another new Chinese stove for around £200 if the budget was tight.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=m570.l3201&_nkw=cast+iron+5kw+stove&_sacat=0

Jamescheers.gif

Edited by canals are us?

Well spotted! Technically, they're not cracks, but gaps between the plates where they've distorted. I know simply filling them isn't a great long-term solution :)

I'm actually planning on replacing the stove with a back boiler/radiator system, but that's a whole other thread.. I was hoping I could make this stove last another winter (or until I get round to it) though.

Hmm. I might give Northern Fabrications a call. Maybe they've got something that might fit..

I do know someone who used a drain cover as a grate. It was made of plastic; it melted

Note: this really is true. The same person also cut a second hole in his door for a second cat-flap when he got a second cat