Electricity Costs

blackrose

Featured Posts

further information: I have received another email from Derek Newton, MD BWML and ALL BWML customers will now shortly be paying £3.10 for a 50kw card, the previous price was £5.00. People at our marina are to be given a rebate, I cannot say what will happen elsewhere, but I would call that a result, and a big saving... in the 4 months we have all been paying £5.00 a card, I reckon our rebates will be in the region of about £50 already...(each) for the people using it frequently...

• 4 months later...
It does not matter who is making the charge, they cannot sell it for more than they pay.

Electricity and gas is not charged at the same rate to domestic and business.

Rates/charges are worked on predicted load/use to non domestic customers.

The only way to check is ask your supplier what he pays for it.

OK - let's ask a technical question. We have a hookup at the marina. Not sure yet what we pay per unit. When we go out cruising we will obviously generate our own electricity using the extra alternator / batteries / inverter. Is that going to work out cheaper or more expensive than the hookup 'leccy - assuming present diesel costs?

Edited by Big John

OK - let's ask a technical question. We have a hookup at the marina. Not sure yet what we pay per unit. When we go out cruising we will obviously generate our own electricity using the extra alternator / batteries / inverter. Is that going to work out cheaper or more expensive than the hookup 'leccy - assuming present diesel costs?
Hello John

It is going to be substantially more expensive to generate your own electricity from the engine or a generator than a supply from the grid. However if you are cruising anyway and that supplies enough electricity to the batteries to keep you going when the engine is off, it is "free" in the sense that it is a by product of using the engine for driving the boat. But once you have to run the engine purely to charge batteries, that will cost a lot more per kilowatt-hour than grid electricity.

regards

Steve

Edited by anhar

Offgen document on the resale of electricity, it covers domestic use and charges made by landlords, it may not apply to the marine industry but may help.

Document link pdf

Put "resale of electricity" include quotes into Google

Hi Guys,

this is the link to the "Resale of Electricity" document. It was broken in the previous post.

http://www.ofgem.gov.uk/CustomPages/Pages/....aspx?k=marinas

Nige

• 5 months later...

weve just had new post installed on our marina and the leccy cards dont last as long...

the old posts were a bit iffy. but the charge has definately gone up to us and thats is before November so some of you are lucky....

I guess we wil be reving the engines & getting solar panels and wind turbines...... <_<

Apart from Tricky Nicky, I would say most of you are doing pretty well compared with the cost at the marina here.

Nobody seemed to know quite what the cost was, so a bought one of those clever little plug in meters from Maplin which measures your use, current, voltage etc and was surprised to find that that the KwHour cost was 23p. In addition, the voltage at the meter was frequently dropping to below 190v at peak times. Dread to think what that is doing to the electrical equipment.

Roger Gunkel

I am on a BW mooring with shore power delivered by a meter.

BW have just announced that from November the cost of the cards thay sell us for the meters will double from 4.2p/kwh to 8.4p/kwh.

I have been onto Ofgem who tell me that it is not permitted to resell electricity for more than it is purchased for and that resellers are obliged to demonstrate to consumers how much they pay for it. Also, the cost of electricity delivery (i.e. building & maintainence of lines, meters, etc), cannot be recovered by resellers in the cost of the electricity they resell. In this case that would be included in mooring fees.

Before any of us ask to see the books I wanted to ask if anyone knows how much domestic electricity usually costs? From what I've seen on the internet an average cost of 8.4p/kwh sounds about right, but does that mean we were being subsidised previously? That would seem a bit odd.

I know energy prices are rising but do others think this 100% increase is a bit unreasonable or should we just accept it?

i wish i was paying 8.4 per kw/h i think the 4.2 you were paying was very good and the 8.4 is probably not bad colin

You're lucky. We are asked to pay 26p per unit. I know that it's against the rules, but the owners seem to make their own rules, and 'if you don't like it you can go somewhere else'! :D

TN

Thats extortion can you not inform ofcom to see if they can investigate, anomalously of coarse!

• 2 weeks later...