Vetus/Technodrive oil leak

DJW

Featured Posts

Our boat has a Vetus M4.17 engine and Technodrive TMC 60 gearbox. The last couple of days I've noticed some oil spray around the join between the engine and gearbox.

I've felt the oil and it feels and smells more like engine oil than gearbox oil but I'm not 100% convinced. The leak doesn't seem very serious at the moment but I'd like to get it sorted.

Has anyone had this or have any ideas how to stop the leak?

We're heading for the T&M at Preston Brook tomorrow and I was thinking of dropping into Kings Lock at Middlewich to see what the Vetus guys there think but if I can fix it myself so much the better!

SAM_3685.jpg

Edited to add photo (hopefully).

The oil is around the join between the engine and gearbox and there is oil on the underside of the gearbox too

Edited by DJW

Not heard of this one. I'd say engine oil judging by the colour, as the Technodrive usually has pink ATF in it. Rear crank oil seal would be my guess. How many hours on the clock?

Mick at King's lock will know exactly what is going on with it.

Edited by Guest

The strange thing is I've recently changed the engine oil so its clear (amber colour) on the dipstick. The gearbox oil is coming up for a change but is still pink on the dipstick.

I don't know if the oil you can see above has collected dirt in the engine bay as the oil on the underside of the gearbox is closer to engine oil colour.

Engine hours are about 1650

Hi DJW

Is the gearbox securely attached to the engine? Zooming in on your photo gives the impression of a slight gap between the gearbox and the adaptor. Could be a slight leak on the input seal combined with a little aluminium dust; both caused by the box moving about?

Steve (Eeyore)

The strange thing is I've recently changed the engine oil so its clear (amber colour) on the dipstick. The gearbox oil is coming up for a change but is still pink on the dipstick.

I don't know if the oil you can see above has collected dirt in the engine bay as the oil on the underside of the gearbox is closer to engine oil colour.

Engine hours are about 1650

Seems very low hours for a crank oil seal. Like RWLP I am wondering about the breather on top. Wonder if whatever oil is leaking has combined with dust/debris off driveplate? I would still contact Kings Lock.

Thanks all.

The smaller silver thing on top is indeed a breather. I have wondered if oil is coming out of there somehow.

I think the box is properly attached but will double check. The paint finish between adaptor, box and bolts is still good which suggests no movement to me.

Tony, the drip tray contents is nowhere near the engine level. In fact I've just cleaned it out and put a tub down to see how much oil leaks out tomorrow

Our TMC40 gearbox has the same breather, ......initialy it was fitted with a ball & spring... Technodrive now supply a modified one with no ball or spring.

Apparentley they were sometimes having issues with a pressure build up in the gearbox which in some instances was causing v.small leaks / weaping of transmission oil.

Mark.smile.png