Epping stove fitment

Nebs

Featured Posts

Would it worry you if the "knowledgeable" types only gave you 8/10 because your stove had legs/no legs?.. Of course not.

Its your boat there is no right or wrong way... Plus,, the knowledgeable ones know nothing more than you or I.

Enjoy YOUR boat..

We're just having our new Epping Stove installed in the back cabin and have been asked the question - on legs or not? Any advice please?

Thanks,

Ben

It all depends on how high the range shelf is and how high you want the top plates to be relative to the cabin floor / side bed / table cupboard. All of the cabin fires I have used have had the top plates at about the same height, or slightly lower than the back step (the one you stand on when steering). If the oven door is on the left hand side of the stove (as you look at it) you will need to allow for it to pass under the cabin step, or place the stove further down the range shelf which may then cause the table cupboard to get too hot (with a right hand fire box - as you look at it).

Take a look at the cabin photographs of CYGNUS on the Apollo Duck website as these show a Classic / Epping stove on legs in a Small Woolwich butty, but as I say it all depends on the height of the range shelf.

Would it worry you if the "knowledgeable" types only gave you 8/10 because your stove had legs/no legs?.. Of course not.

Its your boat there is no right or wrong way... Plus,, the knowledgeable ones know nothing more than you or I.

Enjoy YOUR boat..

I lived in a commercial narrow boat back cabin for several years, and consequently lived with a cabin stove as my only means of heating and cooking. It is not about the "knowledgeable" types awarding points it is about what is practicle and safe - and the legs do not really matter either way.

Edited by pete harrison

Mine is due to go back on a ply shelf on short legs. It survived over ten years on square section with just a small air gap and fireproof board with steel on top without any sign of scorching underneath even though I have good hot fires because I cook on the stove and I feel the cold.

I will be putting it on different higher legs with extra insulation underneath when it goes back however just to be on the safe side. I have encountered a badly fitted stove where I had to lift the door off to get stuff in the oven because it didn't clear the step!

Our Epping was formerly installed without legs... on ordinary ceramic tiles on top of plywood. I suspect the previous owner may have used it more than we did... I think we'd burned it about twice by the time we came to refit it. The ply had become charcoal to a depth of nearly 1/4 inch. I still think we (or someone) was very lucky.

(It's now on legs, on heat resistant tiles on fireproof board on ply, with fire proof board & tiles on the end of the end of the table cupboard too. The tiles don't quite look traditional but I'll put up with that for the sake of worrying the boat'll go up in flames if we burn the Epping. Anyhow a growing collection of ribbon plates should eventually sort out the aesthetics.)

[quote name="pete harrison" post="1141025"

I lived in a commercial narrow boat back cabin for several years, and consequently lived with a cabin stove as my only means of heating and cooking. It is not about the "knowledgeable" types awarding points it is about what is practicle and safe - and the legs do not really matter either way.

Thank you Peter, exactly my point..

I've seen this happen when the stove is straight on the shelf. I'm currently planning to increase the air gap on mine when it goes back in although I've not had problems. I've been looking at heatproof sheet material on the Internet with intent of beefing up the insulation round and under the stove and I'm about to make new feet out of a nice bit of box section that's Ben lurking in our metal stash.

I'd like to tile under and round but it isn't really trad so some sort of metal sheet over the insulation will have to do.

• 2 weeks later...

When i took the rotten Jotul stove from Cygnus it was resting directly on a metal plate, water had got down the chimney and had rested between the stove and the metal plate, and consequently rotted the stove out.

When i installed the classic it just sat better on its legs, plus it gave me somewhere to store the stove's tools and ash trays under the range.

I have chosen my bit of steel for legs with two aims in mind, greater air gap and room for an enamelled metal tray to fit under the firebox end.

I always get a bit of ash fall out when I open the ash pit door to empty the ash pan , its easier to catch in a tray than sweep up off the shelf and elsewhere. I love my stove but the dust gets everywhere.

Any solid fuel will create dust. The least that is needed beneath a stove is an air gap of three inches, and that can be achieved with angle iron laid front to back. It also gives space for a fire tool and a pan. The more the better, but height of hot plate to back step might be a consideration. A lot depends on how high the range shelf is in relationship to the step, and always use a fireproof surface beneath. Steel plate was the norm, but air gap is vital. Conducted heat will cause pyrolisis through some so thought 'fire-proof' materials. Tiles and steel will stop charring from dropped embers, but long term heat transferrence through direct contact is another thing altogether.

Funny you should say that Derek , I wasn't really sure where all the dust was coming from but I did suspect the stove was the culprit. (Space for smilie)

Plan is heatproof stuff on shelf . Metal plate on top of it . Stove on short homemade legs with decent air gap. No problems in the past with heat affecting the shelf but I'm upgrading the installation just in case.

Onion bargee you do like a laugh don't you. I'm only too aware of how much heat the underside of an Epping kicks out especially full away for quick cooking, I've also had flames out of the chimney when Boris fed it a job lot of oily rags.

I think this thread is time expired but before I go this is where I'm up to.

Straight on the shelf/no legs is a no no as far as I'm concerned. I've seen what happened on a neighbours modern boat years ago. Badly charred range shelf and lucky not to have a fire.

Legs, I'm already onto Derek's minimum 3inch air gap, I've got a suitable bit of metal to make the legs.

Extra insulation all round is planned. Moving the stove to the best position as far from stuff as possibly, especially at the fire box end planned as well. New flue pipe neede also

After that I can do no more but I am considering having a steel range shelf instead of the plywood one the boat came with. It's suffered no ill effects so far but I've always been concerned it might . Steel seems the way to go to be honest.

I'm waiting for the maker of flue pipe to to be back at work before I can get it all sorted.

I appreciate your concern Onion Bargee and you have helped me to get it all straight in my mind. Your robust style might not suit all but it don't bother me

Cheers madcat