Braunston To Stourbridge

ralphclaydon

Featured Posts

Canalplanner gives you an estimated time as well. Rather than me plug the data into Canalplanner, what does it say?

And... I have no idea what your average cruising speed is, how long you like to cruise a day or what your average lock time is. I know we are pretty quick at locks

Richard

With your settings for speed and locks canalplan will give you the time for each route. It is also about how may locks do you want to do, you your style of cruising. Personally if I were doing that I would go through Birmingham, as all the locks are in flights, which we do quickly and prefer to spaced out locks.

With your settings for speed and locks canalplan will give you the time for each route.

Indeed, and don't forget wide locks e.g Hatton flight take a shedload more time than the cute little single locks on say the coventry, especially if they keep being set against you. I'd go for longer distance with fewer narrow locks rather than slog down Hatton etc. But then I'm single handing. Wide locks are still a pain if there are only two of you.

MtB

Canal Planner states 6 to 8 days at 7 hours a day.

I was wondering if it could be done in less time?

Yes it can if you get extra crew, especially with bicycles to go ahead and get the locks set. My own experience of Canal Planner is that it badly UNDERestimates the time it takes to get anywhere so unless you really do cruise constantly for 7 hours a day with no stopping to empty the bog, fill with water, buy food, queue for locks, etc etc, it could easily take longer than they say.

MtB

Canal Planner states 6 to 8 days at 7 hours a day.

I was wondering if it could be done in less time?

Well obviously it can.

I would certainly not expect to exceed 5 days, unless I was pottering.

But nobody can answer the questions about how fast you can work each type of lock, or how many you ae prepared to work in a day.

I would certainly go the Grand Union route to Braunston, but whether you go the whole way on the GU, of go via the Northern Stratford for the first part, (and avoid Farmers Bridge, Ashtead, Camp Hill, Knowle, etc) is perhaps more debatable.

The North Stratford route is fine with a relatively shallow modern leisure boat, but far more of a pain if your boat is deep draughted.

If you have roof boxes or masses of other stuff piled on your roof, research Ashtead tunnel before coming out of Brum via Camp Hill, though!

Help!

I can not make my mind up which is the quickest route to Stourbridge from Braunston?

Just my wife and i as crew.

Canalplanner gives 4 routes the shortest 72 miles, 104 Locks. the longest 112 miles, 69 Locks.

Which would be the quickest??

Actually I have only just read this.....

How come I get

which is both less miles and less locks.

Are you really specifying just Stourbridge to Braunston, with no other restriction placed on your route? I don't see how you can be.