Engine Service for Petter PH2

junior

Featured Posts

Can anyone point me in the direction of somewhere I can get a Petter PH2 serviced please?

I have just had the surveyors report back and it is one of the things he recommends. He also mentions a small water leak at the Jabsco pump. Would this be covered in the service?

At the moment the boat is at Braunston but in a few weeks I'll be setting sail for west London, so it can be anywhere en route.

I had a PHW2 in my last boat. Great little engines. Change the engine oil regularly; adjust the tappets. Done. If you have the Hurth built gearbox you will need to adjust the astern or reverse from time to time too .Done.

I had a leak on the Jabsco water pump too where it abuts the crankcase casting and fixed it by making a gasket from a red plastic (?) fire hose. But you might be talking of other leaks elsewhere.

Have you got the Petter maintenance manual ?

If not get one and it should answer most of your queries and much, much more,

Google it or whatever, or try Pete Thompson at Uxbridge Marine Services.

Cracking little engine and I miss it.

James

I had a PHW2 in my last boat. Great little engines. Change the engine oil regularly; adjust the tappets. Done. If you have the Hurth built gearbox you will need to adjust the astern or reverse from time to time too .Done.

I had a leak on the Jabsco water pump too where it abuts the crankcase casting and fixed it by making a gasket from a red plastic (?) fire hose. But you might be talking of other leaks elsewhere.

Have you got the Petter maintenance manual ?

If not get one and it should answer most of your queries and much, much more,

Google it or whatever, or try Pete Thompson at Uxbridge Marine Services.

Cracking little engine and I miss it.

James

My surveyor commented on the greatness of these engines, saying that when he was inthe merchant navy all the emergency equipment that needed an engine had a 2cyl Petter because they never went wrong.

The water leak (tiny drip) is right down the bottom near the twisty cap that I need to take off regularly and put grease in. Is that the common place?

I think i'm sorted now for the service, but it would be great to get a few ideas for the future. I did look at Marine Engine Services @ Uxbridge, is that the same place?

Edited by junior

Can anyone point me in the direction of somewhere I can get a Petter PH2 serviced please?

I have just had the surveyors report back and it is one of the things he recommends. He also mentions a small water leak at the Jabsco pump. Would this be covered in the service?

At the moment the boat is at Braunston but in a few weeks I'll be setting sail for west London, so it can be anywhere en route.

Since it is at Braunston talk to either of First: Johnathon Hewitt (Johnno) at UCC or Second: Justin at Braunston Boats on the other side.

The water leak won't be part of a standard service but could be included if you tell the service mechanic. The price is likely to be uncertain until the cause is known.

N

My surveyor commented on the greatness of these engines, saying that when he was inthe merchant navy all the emergency equipment that needed an engine had a 2cyl Petter because they never went wrong.

The water leak (tiny drip) is right down the bottom near the twisty cap that I need to take off regularly and put grease in. Is that the common place?

I think i'm sorted now for the service, but it would be great to get a few ideas for the future. I did look at Marine Engine Services @ Uxbridge, is that the same place?

Yes, sorry, the correct place ! Marine Engine Services at Uxbridge.

Yes too to the emergency equipment. I understand that they were a lifeboat favorite.

Yes, you need to tighten down the greaser very regularly, at every engine start and maybe sometime during a long day might be good too.

And don't forget that hundreds of the air cooled engines went into construction plant, very often dumpers and a good source of spares. I had a set of injectors and Bryce pumps from Sellwoods when they cleared out their stores at the Hixon depot.

James

Edited by JamesWoolcock