Reduced from £95.00 12v laptop power supply.

Capt.Golightly

Featured Posts

£12.99 is a lot more sensible than £95 but I would still go for one of the Maplin units. A lot of boaters have used them so we know they work and are reasonably reliable. One issue is that some of us charge at 15v, even 15.5v sometimes (equalisation) and I am happy that the Maplin unit copes with this.

The bigger Maplin unit is rated at 120w, though as is so often the case, its probably not wise to assume it will do that continuously.

.............Dave

Best to buy something else I think.

The product data doesn't say which laptops it fits (there are about ten different socket size/designs) as far as I can see, or the output voltage, or the input voltage ranges, or anything helpful at all. And it is more expensive than lappy adaptors sold on ebay.

MtB

Where do it say it was £95.00? huh.png

It do say that in the title of the thread!, but it don't say it when you follow the link.

If you read the news you will know that Tesco have just paid a hefty fine for false special offers, so maybe the reference to £95 had been rapidly removed.

............Dave

It do say that in the title of the thread!, but it don't say it when you follow the link.

If you read the news you will know that Tesco have just paid a hefty fine for false special offers, so maybe the reference to £95 had been rapidly removed.

............Dave

Oh it do, do it? ;)

Yeah good point, maybe it has. The OP obvioustly got the idea of £95.00, unless he himself is making a false offer! :o

If you install Camelizer in Google Chrome, it will tell you the price something has been sold at on Amazon over the past 2 years. It will also email you (if you ask it to) when the price comes down to an amount you are happy to pay.

In this case, sadly, they have no record of the product, which might mean it hasn't been on sale for very long.

Careful "Grace and Favour" they'll think we're in cahoots!....it is currently selling from Kensington.com at £109...a lovely piece of kit.http://www.kensington.com/kensington/en/gb/p/1576/33403EU/wall2fauto2fairlaptoppoweradapterusb.aspx was tempted to buy out the stock at £12.99...I have NOTHING to do with this product, my bro in law who has a broadcast company spotted it and I thought I'd pass it on to you cynical bunch as a favour as Kensington kit is blue chip stuff

Edited by Capt.Golightly

AC/DC??

I'd have thought Captain Golightly would be looking for a DC/DC adapter.

Have just looked at the spec, It appears to be a combined mains AC/DC, and vehicle DC/DC unit. This would explain the high cost.

I guess as its on offer its tempting to get one as its saves having to have both a 12v unit on the boat and also keeping a mains adapter for when you go to the pub.

...............Dave

............Dave

jeez man what are you smoking? it's making you seriously paranoid my friend...why would anyone bother to pitch something on here? all for 13 quid? are you having a laugh?

£95 was an offer on a website quoted to me I couldn't remember the name of....mystery solved.

AC/DC??

I'd have thought Captain Golightly would be looking for a DC/DC adapter.

and really? was there any need for this?

Edited by Capt.Golightly

Given some of your recent posts, I genuinely thought you would be looking for a DC to DC adapter and, a quick look at the link suggested it is only an AC/Dc adapter. It might well be both, but it didnt look like that at first glance.

So I genuinely thought I was helping you to avoid buying something you might be disappointed with.

I won't f%#ki*g bother again! :)

Given some of your recent posts, I genuinely thought you would be looking for a DC to DC adapter and, a quick look at the link suggested it is only an AC/Dc adapter. It might well be both, but it didnt look like that at first glance.

So I genuinely thought I was helping you to avoid buying something you might be disappointed with.

I won't f%#ki*g bother again! smile.png

In that case mate I sincerely beg your pardon..and I don't blame you for being angry....In my ignorance I had never heard of a DC/DC adaptor and am therefore totally and completely wrong and wrong headed in this..sorry my friend shall leave it up so that others can see my silly mistake here clearly too. It could be quite funny except that it unduly p%%d us both off completely pointlessly ...D'oh! wink.png

Andrew.

Edited by Capt.Golightly

If you just want DC conversion then the Maplin 120W one has been good for us.

Not got it with me now, but IIRC it does from 14 to 24V outputs, switchable easily.

It plugs into a cigar lighter socket.

It also came with many adaptors for the output lead, to suit most laptops etc.

If you just want DC conversion then the Maplin 120W one has been good for us.

Not got it with me now, but IIRC it does from 14 to 24V outputs, switchable easily.

It plugs into a cigar lighter socket.

It also came with many adaptors for the output lead, to suit most laptops etc.

I have a Dell laptop(Inspiron) - they are notoriously hard to to find suitable adaptors for as they sense whether or not the attached adaptor is the real(Dell) thing. Went to a crowd called Wisdom-Industrial on ebay and paid £12.89 for an adaptor(12v dc in to dc 18volt 90W out ) so I can use the 12volt plugs on my boat to power the laptop. Works perfectly and has done since April when I bought it. Wisdom-Industrial said that if it did not work they would give me my money back so no risk, just let them know beforehand what type of laptop it is, they were most helpful - oh and they are UK based so it only took a couple of days to arrive.