How Many Leaks?

Flocal

Featured Posts

On Sunday/ Monday we had probably the hardest rain fall ive experienced whilst being afloat!

By Monday evening i had a leaky bedroom window, a leaky kitchen window, water dripping from a gunwale nowhere near a window. And worringly a hole the size of a pea appeared in the roof on the drain hole by the side hatch!

Suffice to say, i have sum work to do!

Anyone else spring a few surprise leaks

Just a wee leak at the bottom of the side hatch. Looks like all the hot weather cracked the sealant and that then let the (torrential) water in!

Not bad considering the lashing we had!

The only leak around CN today appears to be in the heavens. Doesn't anybody up there have some Captain Tolley's?

The Trent has been oscillating up and down madly these last few days! What we get for having had a few hot days I suppose. Remember those?

The Nottingham river festival may be a bit closer to the river than expected if the forecast drier afternoon doesn't hurry along soon.

I also have this peculiar issue with water coming from under one gunnel in heavy rain, but a couple of feet from the nearest window. It surely has to be window-related though, I think... Despite multiple sealing attempts that have worked on all of my other windows. I am confused though as the boat slopes to the stern, and the place the leak is showing is in the direction of the bow relative to the window...

3 of my windows drip a bit in persistent heavy rain. I'll take them out at some point and see to the slight rusting under the paint/ frame at the same time.

One of my mushroom vents let's water bounce in like hail when very heavy. The internal up stand isn't very high/protected.

Jamescheers.gif

I also have this peculiar issue with water coming from under one gunnel in heavy rain, but a couple of feet from the nearest window. It surely has to be window-related though, I think... Despite multiple sealing attempts that have worked on all of my other windows. I am confused though as the boat slopes to the stern, and the place the leak is showing is in the direction of the bow relative to the window...

We had a major problem like this (water dripping a few feet away from a window under the gunwhale) to begin with but couldn't fathom where it was coming in as the window seemed sound. In the end I realised it was the exterior sealant around the stove flu. Resealed that and the problem went away. There is another window with a minor leak but it's really only noticeable in torrential rain with high winds and even then just an occasional drip.

The stove flue is exactly what someone said to me in person on Saturday when it transpired we were both having exactly the same problem (and now on the forum I have learnt of two more of you)! However, this leak is on the opposite side of the boat to the stove, and some distance up, so the mystery remains!

It's possible that these odd leaks arise due to rain bouncing off the roof and jumping in under the mushrooms. It then runs behind the lining until it finds somewhere to escape.

This is more likely if it only occurs during very heavy rain - leaky windows will tend to leak just as much from steady average rain.

I've had rain coming in through three of my mushrooms in the recent heavy storms. I guess it is not going to be a regular occurrence but as one of the mushrooms is over my bed I would like to find a solution. Any ideas on my options anyone?

I have one window that drips in persistent rain, and one window that drips if it sees a cloud. During the storm last week, I had rain pouring through the mushroom vents. It was coming down so hard and fast that it was simply overwhelming the lips of the vents and running inside.

It won't go down in history as my most enjoyable hour afloat ever.

My mushrooms have never been a problem, but the window that used to piss water all over my bed used to dim my joy somewhat. When I sealed the windows (I did this about four times in total with different things to get to the point where I only have this one odd leak left visible) I found the gaps weren't so much in the places I expected, ie, around the frame, but more around the screw heads that were no longer biting, and at the corners of the frames where they were coming out of alignment with each other ever so slightly.

Edited by Starcoaster

Two windows leaking in the heavy rain - one actually from the top and one from the bottom travelling along the wooden trim on the inside - water will sometimes track for quite a long way before appearing