joining the thames at limehouse

alanaljan

Featured Posts

Hello all, l have just joined canal world and already l need an answer to a problem that has come up. l grew up in limehouse on the thames and used to watch the canal boats struggling to enter the river, most seemed to turn back round and return to the canal with the owners shaken up, i never saw any turn over but it looked as though it was possible. In may l would like to take my narrow boat to windsor joining the thames at limehouse, has anyone any advice and have they done it themselves. Alan.

I haven't done it in a narrowboat, but a couple of times in my barge.

Depends very much on your engine. My old narrowboat (Lister SR2) would have been lethal; just not enough power. I think you really need a boat capable of 6Kt for it to be safe.

Even in widebeam barge it was a shock to come out of limehouse - she didn't half seem to plunge about. But then we did London to York by sea and got used to it.

I have never attempted to enter the Thames at Limehouise, mainly because of the tales I used to hear, many years ago, from the Working Boatmen about how difficult it could be. Your recollections would appear to support this, however I understand that St Pancras Boat Club are often able to offer assisted passages, so it may be worth contacting them for some advice and/or assistance.

Hi Alan,

We did Limehouse to Brentford last year.

Once you get to Limehouse, find the lockkeeper and he will tell you when you will be let out onto the tideway. He will also give you a couple of sheets with diagrams of the bridges with which arch to go through.

If you have a cratch cover, make sure it is fitted. If you don't then cover up the front vent to stop water ingress to the cabin.

Have the anchor ready for use but NOT sitting on the bow.

When you are on the tideway, keep a good look-out for trip boats and rubbish barges. They tend to produce a decent wake. Aim to cross the wake at right angles to greatly reduce rolling. As the wake passes your prop there is a change of noise from it but this is only cavitation.

The busiest part that we found was from Limehouse to just past the London Eye.

It is a great feeling to go under Tower Bridge on your own boat. I'm sure you will enjoy it....I did.

If you would like any more info just drop me a p.m.

Colin

p.s. I put my telly on the floor just in case.

Colin

most seemed to turn back round and return to the canal with the owners shaken up, i never saw any turn over but .

In 2000 with the help of John Chapman 'did the Thames' it was a nightmare, the weather was fine leaving Limehouse but deteriated as the journey progressed, into wind was the worst, if you have any glass in the cratch of your boat cover it with plywood just in case a wave smashes through, I rang the coastguard on 999 and within two minutes they were alongside us keeping watch and thanks to some supreme being we made it safely (wiring burned out where the exhaust got so hot it melted adjacent wiring) but I was so pleased to see the River Brent!!!

Les

PS good luck, make sure the weather is 100% fair

I've got a 38 h.p. Isuzu on a 62' boat and with the tide up my chuff was doing 8 m.p.h. (by g.p.s.) in places and that was not flat out.

If you are going on the tidal Thames, the lockies let you out after low water from Limehouse and you get the benefit of the flood tide all or nearly all the way up.

If you can manage 6 m.p.h. in still deep water then you will have no problem with timings.

Les, it sounds as though you had a bad do when you did it.

Colin

Alan,

we did the trip in 2002 and enjoyed it so much that we are going back this year.

I think the secret is in the prep. We intend to go out of limehouse early on a saturday morning, the trip boats dont start until 10 ish on a saturday and the commuter boats to grenwich dont run at all. You have to watch the weather of course, get the tide tables from the PLA website and choose a time to suit. We went out 3 hrs before high water (london bridge) an did 8mph over the ground at canal engine speed, we got to the richmond barrier early and had to wait for the barrier to open. Make sure you know the sound signals in use on the thames as the ships use them, and if you have the appropriate certificate of competence then a vhf radio is useful.

Hope this helps, and maybe see you in limehouse on June 18/18

Paul M

NB Enchantress

Last season we did the tarleton to preson run, which although it was a bit touch and go was great fun - although it could have gone badly wrong if we had been any later!!

- dont know if its anything like the thames?

daniel

Hello all, l have just joined canal world and already l need an answer to a problem that has come up.  l grew up in limehouse on the thames and used to watch the canal boats struggling to enter the river, most seemed to turn back round and return to the canal with the owners shaken up, i never saw any turn over but it looked as though it was possible. In may l would like to take my narrow boat to windsor joining the thames at limehouse, has anyone any advice and have they done it themselves.  Alan.

THANKS TO ALL, l have only just worked out how to reply but l think i`ll leave this trip for a while at least until l`m more confident but again thanks, what a good site this is any more stories or info gratefully accepted. regards Alan

I agree that you need to be confident of both your boat and yourself before you attempt the Limehouse - Brentford run. Get some experience and then give it a try. I intend making the run next summer - weather and tides permitting - for the first time. I'll make sure the boat is well prepared and take advice from the Limehouse lock-keeper before attempting it.

You say that you want to go to Windsor. Why not go from Brentford? The tide is less fearsome and there's much less traffic on the Brentford - Teddington stretch.

And try these for more information:

Thames Tideway

Floating Down The River

I too am planning a trip up the tidal Thames this summer. I am going sometime in the first two weeks of June. We did the Severn last year with no problems at all although the stiff breeze had some small waves lapping over the front of the boat.

I shall prepare the boat by bunging up all the holes but apart from lifejackets and flares I dont think we will need anything else. All we want is somebody to take pictures as we pass under Tower Birdge.

Simon

NB Bulrush

Hi

I have been boating on the severn and the trent using a 16' fletcher speed boat and a Norman 20' these were no prob at all and a doddle. are you saying the thames is the same as this or far worse?

The scariest thing i have done is to go through Yarmouth at full ebb and turn right onto barton broads, you go down like the clappers and when turning up barton go noware at best and backwards into the harbough at worst.