LLangollen question

Gillie

Featured Posts

We are off for a weeks holiday form Norbury Wharf starting 21st..being half term week.I know the Llangollen is really manic during summer holidays..what do you think it would be like in half term??

cheers.

Gillie

We are off for a weeks holiday form Norbury Wharf starting 21st..being half term week.I know the Llangollen is really manic during summer holidays..what do you think it would be like in half term??

cheers.

Gillie

Hi Gillie.

There is a great deal of exaggeration about the 'manic' nature of the Llangollen, even at peak times the problem, merely the spasmodic nature of the traffic owing to the positioning of the hire bases in the area, if anything things are better now than they were 20 years ago.

Have a word with the boatyard, they will know better than most, they may well give you a few tips re what days or times of day to avoid. I have 'done' the Llangollen many times and have seen a few delays at times but nothing worse than you may find on the rest of the system. Make sure you do the entire length of the canal, it is by far the most spectacular and scenic of all the waterways, don't listen to the prophets of doom who will advise you to turn back prematurely to a avoid the massing hoards.

And please let us know how you get on.

There is a great deal of exaggeration about the 'manic' nature of the Llangollen

Agreed.

We've just done it in August, in the middle of the school hols.

There were eight boats ahead of us one day at one set of locks, took an hour and a half to get through. Other than that, no problem. Seemed quite reasonable to me.

I'll echo those comments too - we did it in May half term with no problems apart from the breech which shut the canal :lol: That was a one off!

At the end there's a mooring place a bit like a car park where you can stay for a couple of hours to see the town - very pretty.

Have fun!

First of all, have a good holiday on the Shroppie and Llangollen canals - it always looks pleasant at this time of year with the golden leaves, ground frosts in the morning etc.

We did the Llangollen over October half term last year and we were stuck in a long queue going up New Marton locks and that was on the Tuesday, it was also a bit busy on the narrow stretches further up that same day. We did not get held up at any other locks, or for any of the tunnels, but then we planned the passage through Hurleston and Grindley Brook a bit carefully. We went back down Grindley Brook very early on Thursday morning and then through Hurleston on Thursday evening, no hold ups.

Just a bit of caution though, when we went through in 2001, we passed about 20 boats close together at Whixall Moss, heading for Grindley Brook and that was on the Thursday, so it might be a good idea to get through the staircase early on Thursday, before the rush starts.

We'll be starting our one week half term holiday on the 21st and we're starting off at Swanley, heading first up to Grindley Brook, then back down the Llangollen and on the Shropshire Union to Brewood (then back to Swanley). We'll probably pass you twice so have a good holiday and see you there!

First of all, have a good holiday on the Shroppie and Llangollen canals - it always looks pleasant at this time of year with the golden leaves, ground frosts in the morning etc.

We did the Llangollen over October half term last year and we were stuck in a long queue going up New Marton locks and that was on the Tuesday, it was also a bit busy on the narrow stretches further up that same day. We did not get held up at any other locks, or for any of the tunnels, but then we planned the passage through Hurleston and Grindley Brook a bit carefully. We went back down Grindley Brook very early on Thursday morning and then through Hurleston on Thursday evening, no hold ups.

Just a bit of caution though, when we went through in 2001, we passed about 20 boats close together at Whixall Moss, heading for Grindley Brook and that was on the Thursday, so it might be a good idea to get through the staircase early on Thursday, before the rush starts.

We'll be starting our one week half term holiday on the 21st and we're starting off at Swanley, heading first up to Grindley Brook, then back down the Llangollen and on the Shropshire Union to Brewood (then back to Swanley). We'll probably pass you twice so have a good holiday and see you there!

That is worrying. So there at least three of us on the Llangollen at half term. We are starting at Nantwich and should make it all the way, if I can get the teenage crew out of his fleapit at first light. :lol:

The last time I did the Llangollen was in autumn half term in 1980. Hopefully some of the bridges are a bit easier now. I can still remember my crew of that trip, all 4 foot 9 inches of her, jumping up to grab the chain and missing a few times. When she managed to catch hold of the chain, nothing happened. She was not heavy enough. :lol:

Not sure I may even have a picture of her swinging on the chain.

The last time I did the Llangollen was in autumn half term in 1980. Hopefully some of the bridges are a bit easier now.

No chains to swing on, all the lift bridges are windlass operated hydraulic jobbies, apart from the big one with level crossing type gates, and that's BW key operated.

That is worrying. So there at least three of us on the Llangollen at half term. We are starting at Nantwich and should make it all the way, if I can get the teenage crew out of his fleapit at first light. :D

The last time I did the Llangollen was in autumn half term in 1980. Hopefully some of the bridges are a bit easier now. I can still remember my crew of that trip, all 4 foot 9 inches of her, jumping up to grab the chain and missing a few times. When she managed to catch hold of the chain, nothing happened. She was not heavy enough. :D

Not sure I may even have a picture of her swinging on the chain.

One of the lift bridges still had a chain on it a couple of years ago, but it's been half taken to pieces now, it's one the bridges at Wrenbury.

Which day are you starting? We're starting on Saturday and should be at Nantwich by about 6:00pm on the first night.

Edited by Philip

What day are you starting? We're starting on Saturday and should be at Nantwich by about 6:00pm on the first night.

We are getting the boat (Sovereign lady) from Norbury Wharf on the 21st (saturday) at 3.pm..very late in the day so I doubt we will get very far after we have had the obligatory lock operating demo etc...

We are getting the boat (Sovereign lady) from Norbury Wharf on the 21st (saturday) at 3.pm..very late in the day so I doubt we will get very far after we have had the obligatory lock operating demo etc...

It is a fair way from Norbury to Tyrley for a lock demonstration, so you might just get away without one. I had an Anglo-Welsh boat out of Norbury back in May, and they didnt show me how to operate a lock, although with the nights closing in, you will do well to get anywhere near Market Drayton, although I personally doubt you will get that far.

When I was last up the Llangollen in August 2005, there were no real holdups at all to speak of. The only wait of any description was to go through Grindley Brook staircase, in both directions, and going up this was only caused because someone thought they should ignore the instructions of the Lock Keeper who had the cheek to insist they waited their turn!

Personally, I found the Lock Keepers along the route at Hursleton, Grindley Brook and Frankton (Montgomery Canal) were very efficient, which helped to keep delays to a minimum for everyone. The one at Hursleton should be congratulated for setting the flight for us to go back up, even though it was hammering down with rain. It must have cut nearly 30 minutes off our journey because a boat had gone up in front and there was nothing coming down so I would have had to set each lock as we got to it.

Have a nice week.

We are starting on Sunday from the Nantwich Basin. Being the end of season, it occurs to me that the boat may not be going out the previous week; I'll ask if I can pay for an extra day, and start on Saturday. I can only ask. A Saturday start would be easier for us, there are more and faster trains on Saturday. Of course they may not have the staff to start us on Saturday.

As said above, you might not have the demonstration because Norbury is quite a long way from a lock in either direction. You might reach Tyrley top lock on the first lock if you're on the way by 3, but any later then I doubt it. There are some good moorings at Cheswardine and that'll set you up for the locks the next morning. I suspect we'll be passing you on the Monday (probably somewhere between Grindley Brook and Hurleston).

I suspect we'll be passing you on the Monday (probably somewhere between Grindley Brook and Hurleston).

What's your boats name??...so we can look out for you and frantically wave! :D

I'll keep my out for you at Norbury. The chap that takes you a couple of hundred yards up the canal for your "instruction" may even hope off on my boat.

I see them often, they will stay on the boat for about two hundred yards with you then hop off at a convenient point and you're on your own. Dont worry it's pretty straight forward. most people manage just fine.

With only a couple of hours daylight and I'm sure you wont travel in the dark, head for shebdon wharf and the wharf inn.

I'll keep my out for you at Norbury. The chap that takes you a couple of hundred yards up the canal for your "instruction" may even hope off on my boat.

I see them often, they will stay on the boat for about two hundred yards with you then hop off at a convenient point and you're on your own. Dont worry it's pretty straight forward. most people manage just fine.

With only a couple of hours daylight and I'm sure you wont travel in the dark, head for shebdon wharf and the wharf inn.

Thanks for the info..shame I have the IW helmsmans course booked after we have our holiday!....but my partners hired loads before so we should be ok...will look forward to :D !

What's your boats name??...so we can look out for you and frantically wave! :D

Misty Dawn - it's a Cheshire Cat hire boat.

Normally we hire from Chas Hardern at Beeston, Tarporley, but this time they were all booked, so we're hiring from another firm this time.

Hi gillie, been on the norbury website and they give the one way journey time of 32 hours to do the llan your really going to have your work cut out to do the full trip. Having done the trip on many occassions I can definately advise the bigger the boat the longer the journey time when going towards llan as the current and shallow depth in parts dramatically affects your progress. Have an alternative plan in mind if your progress is impeded and do the monty instead but book before 10 am to go down frankton locks. We spoke to chirk marina staff at the week end and all their boats are booked out for the half term thats 32 boats in total as they look after black prince as well as their own fleet. Let us know how you holiday goes.

Thanks for the info ..have been on the canal plan site and used the furthest place option and we will probably go as far as the Anderton lift or Chester...to be honest I don't really care where we go as long as I am on the boat!..

The llangollen would have been nice but we have not enough time so will save it for when we get our own boat.

We are hiring from Norbury wharf so will let you know how we get on :D

The Llangollen at autumn half term was our last boat hiring - so over 15 years ago. It was like bumper cars afloat. When we got back, minus a fuel vent pipe, where we were hit from behind. the hirers told us that autumn half term is known as "Burke's week". It's hard to imagine that things have got quieter.

Arthur

Edited by Speedwell

It's hard to imagine that things have got quieter.

Arthur

Arthur.

It is hard to imagine things are still the same after 15 years, it is nice I know to pass on these apocryphal tales but let us try and remember that some slightly nervous people may read these threads. Might be put off canals for life.