Low-level mooring in Limehouse

Keeping Up

Featured Posts

Does anyone know if there is a low-level overnight mooring at Limehouse Basin - apart from the expensively-priced marina pontoons?

Next week we'll be there with a friend whose crew would find the wall too high for them as they have a hip problem. ISTR talk somewhere of a pontoon (just into the Limehouse cut???) that serves as a "disabled" mooring, or has my memory got things all jumbled up again.

there's a disabled pontoon with a ramp its just before the entrance to the river lea.

I can confirm that. It is labelled as disabled only ... I have to admit i and my able bodied crew used it a couple of years ago as there was no room on the wall. (we did ask the lock keeper first and would happily have moved for someone with greater needs than ours). It proved really useful as it saved me lifting the dog on and off.

Limehouse.jpg

Edited by NickF

I can confirm that. It is labelled as disabled only ... I have to admit i and my able bodied crew used it a couple of years ago as there was no room on the wall. (we did ask the lock keeper first and would happily have moved for someone with greater needs than ours). It proved really useful as it saved me lifting the dog on and off.

Limehouse.jpg

Using an anchor to moor to a pontoon a bit excessive isn't it!

You never know when you are that near to the Thames!

.... more seriously there is an argument that says when you are going in the same direction as a strong tide you should have the anchor fixed on at the stern.... that way if you have to use it you don't get 66ft (in this case) of boat swinging right round on the anchor before you come to a halt! It's pretty heavy which is why I delegated the job of moving it to my younger fitter crew members!

Nick

... more seriously there is an argument that says when you are going in the same direction as a strong tide you should have the anchor fixed on at the stern.... that way if you have to use it you don't get 66ft (in this case) of boat swinging right round on the anchor before you come to a halt! It's pretty heavy which is why I delegated the job of moving it to my younger fitter crew members!

Nick

There's another argument that says if you deploy your anchor from the rear you are likely to pull the back of the boat under water if the anchor actually works as it should. Never having had to use my anchor I don't know which argument is sounder, perhaps some more experienced members may be able to tell us if this has ever actually happened?

I have never had to drop the anchor, but I have pondered this question on many a tideway trip. On balance I am in favour of always deploying from the front. I think the risk of dragging the stern under is very real, especially in the big waves. The concern of being washed onto something fixed while the boat rotates can be largely negated by steering a wide and clear path ie: steer a course with engine failure at the top of your mind - make your own luck!

There's another argument that says if you deploy your anchor from the rear you are likely to pull the back of the boat under water if the anchor actually works as it should. Never having had to use my anchor I don't know which argument is sounder, perhaps some more experienced members may be able to tell us if this has ever actually happened?

I had never thought of that Grahame .... the thought of being held by the stern in a four or five knot current is interesting... I was taught to put the anchor on the stern by a RYA instructor on a tidal training day with canalexperience .... if i cruise a tideway again in the future i think I will follow your advice!

Nick