A question regarding anti fouling paint

trebby91

Featured Posts

I think most antifouling paint systems are ablative - meaning they are designed to fall off gradually which is part of the mechanism preventing aquatic growth. So there are (at least) 2 reasons most canal boats don't use antifouling: 1) most canal boats don't move fast enough to see any benefit in terms of increased speed through the water and/or savings in fuel, and 2) most soft ablative paints will soon be scraped off on canals.

The Thames passenger boat company I used to work for use green antifouling on their boats and the bottoms are repainted annually!

Edited by blackrose

Down here in the Fens nobody seems to anti-foul narrow boats and looking at GRP boats around not many seem to follow the perceived wisdom of anti fouling each year. A bit of weed growth around the waterline is not a problem and unless you are in an area where there are tiger mussels I would not bother.

When we moored on the Broads tiger mussels were a problem, for example each year I would pull my wife's dinghy out and scrape off enough mussels to fill 2 builders buckets, a 17ft cabin cruiser we had was covered after only 3 months in the water. It has to be said that anti foul varies in effectivness depending on the type.

Due to "Green Issues" antifoul is nowhere as effective as it used to be as the active ingredients have been watered down

Phil

We have to repaint our hull every year to prevent it growing a beard. Not a difficult job.

Different anti foul paints work better in different areas. We have found Premier Paints Premier 1 Can to be very effective where we are based.

We have to repaint our hull every year to prevent it growing a beard. Not a difficult job.

Different anti foul paints work better in different areas. We have found Premier Paints Premier 1 Can to be very effective where we are based.

Presumably this is to do with the active ingredients in the paint?

When I lived 'Opp North' I helped out doing the anti fouling on my mates trawler which involved hot preasure wash & he insited I wore a resparator and showered aferwards.

What's in this stuff?

It can be applied over blacking. If you want to use it then why not, it looks neater as per what you have seen on the Bridgewater, you can see the state of the hull coating because there is no weed, and it will last as long if not longer than bitumen, overall possible a bit dearer to buy though

It can be applied over blacking. If you want to use it then why not, it looks neater as per what you have seen on the Bridgewater, you can see the state of the hull coating because there is no weed, and it will last as long if not longer than bitumen, overall possible a bit dearer to buy though

A bit of weed growth is not a problem given the speed at which Narrow Boats travel,(not the case for Phylis) also Marine Boring organisms would have a hard job getting into a steel hull, it will not last longer than Bitumen as it is designed to wear away so presenting a fresh layer of the active ingredient and it is serious money to buy.

So as I said in my previous post save your money unless mussels are a problem where you cruise.

Phil

Presumably this is to do with the active ingredients in the paint?

When I lived 'Opp North' I helped out doing the anti fouling on my mates trawler which involved hot preasure wash & he insited I wore a resparator and showered aferwards.

What's in this stuff?

Copper.