Help with information on Leeds/Liverpool

LutraSkip

Featured Posts

We are making our way from Manchester to tackle the Wigan 21 and continue to

Leeds. We have heard that we should moor at Dover Locks before tackling the 21, both because it's a reasonable mooring and to try to see if anyone travelling the same way wants to double up for the locks. Any thoughts, please?

It is also 20 years since I was last on the L&L. We would appreciate help with any more up to date ideas on favourite moorings; things not to miss, which we might otherwise pass by; and places where it would be unwise to moor.

Thank you, in advance.

Richard Holland

The safest place to moor at the bottom of the Wigan flight is outside the C&RT offices on non-towpath side just below lock at Henhurst bridge. A BW key gives access to this mooring area which includes rings. As this involves a left turn at the Leigh branch junction, if you have a >55 foot boat it may be worth going backwards through the lock so you are pointing in right direction to tackle the 21 + 1 locks of the flight.

If staying there during a Sunday visit nearby Trencherfield steam mill engine by Wigan pier.

Edited by by'eck

Last time we came this way we moored at Dover Lock which was quite a pleasant mooring, then 2 locks to do on the Leigh branch and then up the Wigan 21, we were told we'd meet up with other boats going the same way but ended up doing all 23 by ourselves with no sign of any other boats all day.

Apart from Blackburn and Burnley there's no problems with mooring anywhere until you reach the outskirts of Leeds

Dave

Edited by Titus

Leeds. We have heard that we should moor at Dover Locks before tackling the 21, both because it's a reasonable mooring and to try to see if anyone travelling the same way wants to double up for the locks. Any thoughts, please?

It is also 20 years since I was last on the L&L. We would appreciate help with any more up to date ideas on favourite moorings; things not to miss, which we might otherwise pass by; and places where it would be unwise to moor.

Thank you, in advance.

Richard Holland

Nice places to moor if you want isolation exist anywhere between East Marton and Skipton. But note it can be be difficult to get into the side in some of these spots due to depth and an concrete shelf that runs along many sections. A plank can be be handy to get around this. The best stretch is East Marton to Bank Newton Locks.

Shops wise - Morrisons in Nelson has it's own mooring on the offside which you access with a 'watermate' key, takes you direct into the store carpark - very handy.

Other places to moor that are nice are East Marton just down from the double arch bridge and Gargrave. Skipton is nice but gets busy in the summer. Tesco and Morrison nearby. Farnhill/Kildwick is a pleasant place to moor with a nice pub in the village. There is a small but very pleasant visitor mooring at the Anchor in Salterforth.

Saltaire is worth a walk around to see the neatly constructed housing and other buildings built for the mill workers. Note there is a controversial 'No overnight mooring' restriction that has recently sprung up in Saltaire (There is a debate about how enforceable this is elsewhere ion the forum)

If you want to moor near Shipley there is course moorings in the town but we like the spot as you go out from the town into the woods near Dock swing bridge. You can press on into the woods and moor there too it's just the tree canopy keeps the sunlight out.

Coming into Leeds ideally needs to be done in one go so the best place to stop is Rodley and start early morning. The locks on this section are locked overnight with passage times of 8.15 to 3pm. (if you come down in winter you have to book). Rodley is actually a very pleasant place to moor.

Moorings in Leeds are at Granary Wharf and Clarence Dock. There is a Tesco Express a short walk from the moorings in Clarence Dock. Granary Wharf is better for access to the city Centre if that's your thing. Clarence Dock is further out but you can get a bus/taxi - It's not too far to walk it unless you've got loads of shopping.

Thank you, in advance.

Richard Holland

Hi Richard,

We're in Leeds at the moment - and find it a wonderful place to explore - just be aware that there is not an excessive number of visitor moorings (Clarence Dock (AKA New Lock) - lovely city spot - has only four visitor moorings (right under the Armouries Museum (if they're all taken - many have been known to breast up) The moorings opposite on the herringbone pontoons are all long-term let moorings.

Just be aware that the last weekend in June (29/30th) is Leeds 'Waterway festival (linky) - and unless you get here very early - moorings will be even more scarce.

Hi Richard,

We're in Leeds at the moment - and find it a wonderful place to explore - just be aware that there is not an excessive number of visitor moorings (Clarence Dock (AKA New Lock) - lovely city spot - has only four visitor moorings (right under the Armouries Museum (if they're all taken - many have been known to breast up) The moorings opposite on the herringbone pontoons are all long-term let moorings.

Just be aware that the last weekend in June (29/30th) is Leeds 'Waterway festival (linky) - and unless you get here very early - moorings will be even more scarce.

Lunch at Harvey Nicks is a nice treat if you haven't done so yet.

Hi Richard, (Clarence Dock (AKA New Lock) -

From my time in Leeds in the late '60s, when it was still in use by Co-op coal boats waiting to go up to the coal wharf opposite River Lock, it was known as Leeds Dock. Is that right or a mistaken memory?

Tim

From my time in Leeds in the late '60s, when it was still in use by Co-op coal boats waiting to go up to the coal wharf opposite River Lock, it was known as Leeds Dock. Is that right or a mistaken memory?

Tim

No that is correct. According to my copy of Mike Taylor's book on the A&CN that is indeed it's previous name. There was also twinned locks outside where no there is just the one.

He also refers to it in the text as New Dock/Calrence dock and Tatie basin which I guess are names of the parts of the dock.

Edited by The Dog House

No that is correct. According to my copy of Mike Taylor's book on the A&CN that is indeed it's previous name. There was also twinned locks outside where no there is just the one.

He also refers to it in the text as New Dock/Calrence dock and Tatie basin which I guess are names of the parts of the dock.

The weir there was known, IIRC, as Crown Point Weir which is a name I haven't seen for a long time. I can't remember whether or not the lock was Crown Point lock?

Tim

The weir there was known, IIRC, as Crown Point Weir which is a name I haven't seen for a long time. I can't remember whether or not the lock was Crown Point lock?

Tim

Again from Mike's book he refers to the locks simply as Leeds Locks and I can't see a reference to a name for the weir other than 'Leeds dam'

The nearby very attractive bridge however is called 'Crown Point' Bridge so it's possible.

Not my picture but you can see the bridge and the barrier to the weir here. The entrance to the lock and Clarence Dock are just through the bridge and to the right.

crown%20point%20bridge%20Leeds.jpg

Another pic. again not mine but taken from the other side looking the other way.

2004329_377232850.jpg

Edited by The Dog House

Again from Mike's book he refers to the locks simply as Leeds Locks and I can't see a reference to a name for the weir other than 'Leeds dam'

The nearby very attractive bridge however is called 'Crown Point' Bridge so it's possible.

A bit of googling tells me that it still goes by both names, eg http://aireriverstrust.org/2013/06/15/aire-fish-passage-schemes-june-2013/

Tim

Shouldn't photos be credited rather than just "not my pic"? I know when I've found photos on google they've included copyright disclaimers naming the photographer which I've copied and pasted as a condition of using those photos.

Shouldn't photos be credited rather than just "not my pic"? I know when I've found photos on google they've included copyright disclaimers naming the photographer which I've copied and pasted as a condition of using those photos.

That rather depends on the detail of the copyright details and what it says. Often they don't say anything or state you are completely free to use them. Plus it's not always possible to identify if a picture is copyrighted or not. (Though some would suggest you should assume it has copyright unless it specifically says other wise).

That said there is also the concept of 'fair use' of stuff that is in the public domain in that if stuff is being used for illustrative or educational purposes (which applies in the case above) then pictures can be used without permission.

I do sometimes when I remember but I do try to not get too anal about it satisfying myself with trying to making sure that I am not credited with a good well taken picture like that one. It would be completely wrong in my view to say 'look at this great picture I've taken' when I hadn't, particularly if there was some personal or financial gain to be made from doing so.

Like most legal stuff it's not black and white (no pun intended)

Edited by The Dog House

The first part of the basin as you enter from the river is described as New Dock on the 1850 OS map. I suspect Clarence Dock came about when the dock was extended southwards, with the Potato Wharf being the small dock on the righthand side as you enter from the river. The Old Dock was the original terminus basin on Dock Street, which has now been isolated from the river.

The weir was always Leeds Weir, with Leeds Lock bypassing it. There were numerous water-powered mills on the town side of the river between the lock and the entrance to the L&LC. The original A&CN was built very simply, and Leeds Lock is typical of the setup, with a lock and short canal section avoiding mill weirs. The navigation was improved in the 1770s, and the disused chamber here is probably the last surviving one from that time. It has the same dimensions as the L&LC, the canal being built to accept the then current size of boats working on the navigation and down the Humber.

Thank you, in advance.

Richard Holland

I'd add you might want to have a look at botany bay shopping place between wigan locks and johnsons hillock flight. (you might not want to but if you have a wife aboard she will...) top lock pub at the top of johnsons hillock flight is not a bad spot to spend an evening . Eanam wharf is ok to moor in blackburn.

rosegrove services in burnley are good safe moorings with a good butchers nearby or you could push on to the inn on the wharf

If you moor on the burnley mile you can walk down to the tesco super store or as TDH said use the morrisons at nelson (easy to miss so watch out for it - think its near bridge 141d iirc) - we think this is a super facility although the actual morrisons store is a bit poor.

you can moor up once through foulridge tunnel its quite a nice spot and the service block is quite good there too.

the curry house in Gargrave is very good (bollywood cottage on the A65) and Bizzie lizzies fish and chips in skipton (next to canal) is worth a visit for really good fish and chips. Market days in skipton are good too - lots of market stalls (some good some not so )

Thank you, in advance.

Richard Holland

That is sensible and what we generally do for Wigan.

The pub at the top of Johnsons generally has great beers. The tap is incredibly slow at the water point so have a beer whilst the tank fills (or in our case 2 years ago 4 beers and a meal and the tank still wasn't full)

Good moorings between Blackburn and Burnley nr Bridge 109 or my fave 115a.

From Barrowford to Rodley it is completely safe with some great spots.

My choice of pubs would be:

Anchor Salterforth - new landlord who is trying very hard to salvage a once great pub

Cross Keys, East Marton - lovely food, Copper Dragon beers

Skipton - huge choice but Woolly Sheep and Narrowboat always on fine form

Slaters Arms in the village at Bradley.

There is a great indian take away in Rodley and I would recommend mooring here before the run down into Leeds. Start nice and early and you will be lunching in Leeds.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all the extremely helpful information. We have now nearly completed our crossing of the Pennines on the Leeds and Liverpool. We have relied on a great deal f the suggestions and advice offered.

We stopped at Dover Lock before Wigan, but had to do the flight on our own. It was hard work, made even harder by two empty pounds and some locks which were leaking out quicker than it would fill without opening all the paddles. We moored at the top. We couldn't have gone much further! Our next mooring was at Botany Bay, which was nice and quiet. Our mooring and departure times didn't leave time for too much retail therapy. We teamed up with a hire boat to go up Johnson's Hillock and had a nice lunch in the pub at the top. We moored later at Feniscowles, which was again a good, quiet mooring, with access to a Tesco, 10 minutes walk up the road from the bridge. Blackburn locks were pretty awful with a lot of broken glass around. We moored up at Eanam Wharf for a while. It was a safe mooring from which to leave the boat to make a necessary visit to a Doctor and to Backburn Hospital. We moved on later to a wonderful rural mooring after the first railway bridge between Rishton and Church, opposite the golf course. After stops in Burnley at Rose Grove for lunch and water and on the embankment for Tesco, we moored at Pendle Marina, where we stopped to clear the prop, but they let us stay, free of charge, overnight.

On Saturday the 29th June we cleared the final locks to Foulridge and left what a CRT man in Gargrave said they call "the dark side". Well he was a fellow Yorkshireman. We moored in East Marton and thoroughly enjoyed the Cross Keys , then on to Gargrave, where we had an excellent Sunday lunch in the Masons Arms. We headed next day to Skipton for lunchtime fish and chips at Busy Lizzies - excellent, then on to a mooring at Kildwick. This was a lovely mooring, but for the church clock, which chimed all the quarters throughout the night. Before descending the Bingley Five Rise, we moored overnight before the Micklethwaite swing bridge. We didn't test the validity of the 6 hour restrictions on the notice at Saltaire. We stopped for a few hours to explore, but moved to the visitor moorings at Shipley, which were fine. Then on to Rodley for two nights, which is an attractive place to spend time before the early transit to Leeds, which we will undertake with another boat tomorrow. We are intending to moor at Granary Wharf.

Thanks again to all who have been so helpful.

Richard

• 7 months later...

The Anchor at Salterforth has had a lovely makeover and feels fresh and clean. We ate their last night and the food was lovely with the beer on top form.

Once again worth a visit after several years in the 'avoid' category

The Anchor at Salterforth has had a lovely makeover and feels fresh and clean. We ate their last night and the food was lovely with the beer on top form.

Once again worth a visit after several years in the 'avoid' category

Thanks for that Richard, we'll probably call in this year.

Dave