Cooking tip.

bizzard

Featured Posts

So your jolly hungry, you've run out of gas, no dry sticks around so a fire on the bank is not on. You have lots of tinned food that could be heated, like soups, spaghetti, baked beans ect but nothing to heat em on, mmm, You try one or two ways without success, like heating a tin with a fag lighter but that makes your thumb ache too much after a bit or it runs out of gas. Trying the same with matches will only use em all up before the tin has even become to warm up, and all the time your tummy's rumbling empty for the need o a hot meal.

You start hallucinating about food while tour tummy rumbles, cold baked bean sandwiches, which are quite nice actually flash before your eyes but cold Oxtail soup not so good.

It takes a long time to heat a standard size tin of baked beans over a single flame, 1hr 20mins to be exact, and you've just found your your emergency stock of candles, hooray, so I shall describe how to heat up a tin of sausage and beans thoroughly over the humble candle flame as its not as easy as it sounds.

First of all you will need some little bits of blocks of some kind to support the tin above the candle small enough to carry out regular lowering of the tin as the candle burns down as its imperative that you keep the flame licking the tins bottom. You might find it easier to stand the candle on a little adjustable plinth like a pile of 2p coins and use these to raise the candle as it burns down to keep the flame playing on the tins bottom instead of lowering the tin but you run the risk of hot wax trickling onto your fingers, but these little technicalities and inconveniences are soon shrugged off as you sit there and sit there licking your lips with your tummy rumbling away watching and making constant candle adjustments, feeling the tin to find how hot its getting.

Whatever you do don't get impatient or misled by the tin feeling hot after 30mins or so, grab hold of it in desperation, tear the lid off, spoon at the ready, only to find that only about twelve of the beans at the very bottom are hottish, the rest of the beans and sausages are still stone bloomin cold. As already mentioned 1hr 20mins is the minimum time required to heat your tins of beans, soups through thoroughly. How to make your own candles can be consulted in one of my old wheezes if you care to search my content.

Note--- If you used up all your matches trying out of desperation to heat the tin of beans up in the first instance forget the whole thing and make the cold baked bean sandwich after all.

Bon appetite. bizzard. unsure.png

Ok, a trick i invented in the army, ( possibly) open a tin of spam, bacon grill in olde style ration packs, and slice thinly, leave lid on with it folded over, put hexamine block (or candle ) under lid and fry the meat on the lid . good times!

If any one invented this first, don't tell me, it's my only claim to fame..

Ok, a trick i invented in the army, ( possibly) open a tin of spam, bacon grill in olde style ration packs, and slice thinly, leave lid on with it folded over, put hexamine block (or candle ) under lid and fry the meat on the lid . good times!

If any one invented this first, don't tell me, it's my only claim to fame..

I suspect I've met someone who knicked your trick. It worked. I went for a shallow hole in the dry sandy soil, pour in petrol, wait for 5 mins!, flip in a lighted match, fry eggs etc in the hubcap off the truck.