Whereabouts of "Hyperion".

algy

Featured Posts

Anyone know the whereabouts of the small Woolwich "Hyperion" and who her latest owner is?.

Boat Type: Little Woolwich
Fleet Number: 53
Original Company: GUCCCo
Registration: Registered at Brentford, number 514 Hyperion (53) is registered with British Waterways with number 78995 as a powered craft (20BHP) with a metal hull by Harland and Wolff

Was also owned previously by David Ray at Norbury.

I believe it was one that was crewed by "Idle Women" in WWII, but would need to check that to be absolutely sure.

I am sure you are right as I remember Kevin talking about being asked to take one of the woman concerned for a motor - may even have been at the Braunston show - my memories fading !

If you want to see more photo's of this boat I would visit the old thread for the Rickmansworth Festival as there were a number of people added links to their photo's on there.

I have one more:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12106259@N06/8795288455/

It shows the cabin side better - the clouds of steam were from a steam boat that was between me and Hyperion!

Twas indeed crewed by Trainees, Christian Vlasto and Elizabeth Glayser on the Oxford Canal in late 44/early 45 when the boat was hired from GUCCC by Barlows when they were short of boats to maintain their Oxford contracts. Butty was Nebulae.

Mentioned in Idle Women and Hyperion did tow Nebulae once again for a magazine feature about the Idle Women. I think it was for Waterways World and would love a copy or a scan if anyone has one!

Anyone know the whereabouts of the small Woolwich "Hyperion" and who her latest owner is?.

Boat Type: Little Woolwich

Fleet Number: 53

Original Company: GUCCCo

Registration: Registered at Brentford, number 514 Hyperion (53) is registered with British Waterways with number 78995 as a powered craft (20BHP) with a metal hull by Harland and Wolff

It was owned, along with butty 'Kestral' by Michael Sampson in the 1980's and 90's maybe earlier than the 80's as well but Im not sure. It was northwest based. - It did a crossing on the Mersey and was filmed by Vidio Active.

Edited by Mike C

It was owned, along with butty 'Kestral' by Michael Sampson in the 1980's and 90's maybe earlier than the 80's as well but Im not sure. It was northwest based. - It did a crossing on the Mersey and was filmed by Vidio Active.

Prior to that, owned by Alan Sim, and some time before that by Jack Taylor/Waterdale Canal Services (which is possibly what prompted the original question). There were probably other owners in between.

Tim

Third from the right (I think) here:-

Xmas78-1_zps4aa2eb62.jpg

Christmas 1978, Runcorn Top Locks

Tim

Prior to that, owned by Alan Sim, and some time before that by Jack Taylor/Waterdale Canal Services (which is possibly what prompted the original question). There were probably other owners in between.

Tim

Great information from everyone and many thanks. Here are three photos of when Jack owned her the other people are members of our family, the two coloured photos have Jack Taylor wearing his flat cap, the black and white photo is Jack talking to Hyperion's skipper and his wife, I'm afraid I don't know the location though.

Pic089_zpsb260cc7e.jpg

Pic080_zpsc1de3e52.jpg

UncleJackwithHyperionMarch1965_zpsc2a219 with members of our family

Prior to that, owned by Alan Sim, and some time before that by Jack Taylor/Waterdale Canal Services (which is possibly what prompted the original question). There were probably other owners in between. TimThird from the right (I think) here:- Xmas78-1_zps4aa2eb62.jpg Christmas 1978, Runcorn Top Locks Tim

So who can name all the boats then ??

Darren

So who can name all the boats then ??

Darren

I tried asking that a couple of years ago & didn't get much response wink.png

I can probably still name most of them, with a struggle.

Tim

Edited by Timleech