A lovely relaxing weekend on solar

DeanS

Featured Posts

Just thought I'd say that solar has drastically impacted on our peace and quiet. I havent started up the boat in the mornings or evenings for at least a week, which has been bliss. Here's our boat at the moment.....a lovely sunny day. That pub was racous last night, but I enjoy the vibe..and when it gets too much, we go find a quiet canal somewhere.

boat2day.jpg

We've just put a Kw on our roof, SOC 100% by 8am this time of year. It will be interesting to see what its like over the winter, we only come into a marina for the leccy, could save us a fortune.

We're in a similar position - the solar has almost completely negated the need to run the engine unless moving. Unfortunately, we have a calorifier for hot water, not an instant one such as Morco. I can cope with boiling the kettle for hot water, however the GF wants proper hot water - so need to run the motor for this. We try to combine it with other stuff too, though - like trips out or currently testing a coolant leak on the motor etc.

We'll see you later then Dean. We're heading through the Rochdale 9 this afternoon. Look out for Wandering Duck.

WAS LOVELY TO MEET YOU AND TOUCH BASE :)

QUACK!

We've just put a Kw on our roof, SOC 100% by 8am this time of year. It will be interesting to see what its like over the winter, we only come into a marina for the leccy, could save us a fortune.

I wasnt sold on solar when I had 180Watts, but at 920Watts, it's become a REPLACEMENT for the engine....I didnt think that was actually possible....but it seems this is the case. Amazing.

I wasnt sold on solar when I had 180Watts, but at 920Watts, it's become a REPLACEMENT for the engine....I didnt think that was actually possible....but it seems this is the case. Amazing.

That tends to be the problem. People spec the system bases on the cost not the need.

Then they claim that it does not work to all who will listen. Do a bit of digging & they soon give up the true facts that about the install & their expectations.

Glad to here that yours is now working as you want. It is a lovely feeling, all that free energy & the bats getting a good long charge / EQ so will enter the winter in a much better condition than they normally would.

Aye - our panels put in 149 Ah today

Good, innit?

Definitely! I think we're entering the season where a reasonably specified solar system will be able to supply an excess of power, over & above the demand (which of course, is slightly lower in summertimes anyway). Ours is a 200W system, not tilted, and we're getting around 150W right now. I am keen to get some kind of battery monitor which will be able to (properly) evaluate cumulative energy in (not just spot readings when I'm looking at it) but not found a cheap one yet. But then, with solar, don't really need to worry anyway, its more for curiousity.

Definitely! I think we're entering the season where a reasonably specified solar system will be able to supply an excess of power, over & above the demand (which of course, is slightly lower in summertimes anyway). Ours is a 200W system, not tilted, and we're getting around 150W right now. I am keen to get some kind of battery monitor which will be able to (properly) evaluate cumulative energy in (not just spot readings when I'm looking at it) but not found a cheap one yet. But then, with solar, don't really need to worry anyway, its more for curiousity.

Smartguage, then smile.png

Nick

I am keen to get some kind of battery monitor which will be able to (properly) evaluate cumulative energy in (not just spot readings when I'm looking at it) but not found a cheap one yet. But then, with solar, don't really need to worry anyway, its more for curiousity.

There's been a couple mentioned recently, the £10ish 60V/100A power analyzers widely available on Ebay, also the £25-35 programmable combo meters from the Ebay seller 'elite.element'. Someone a while ago also mentioned something that could download to a PC, think it cost about £50-60.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Yeah I've been looking into that, its the eLogger by Eagle Tree systems. I did a quick search on eBayer elite.element, unfortunately its a Chinese seller, and I have a little rule that I don't buy anything from China I can't afford to not work, or never arrive. I have bought 3x ammeters from China, the first 2 never worked and the third partially works (only to 0 decimal places (advert said to 0.1A) and only in one direction (ie can only show discharge, not charge)). So I've kinda become wary of Chinese stuff recently.

The eLogger is a bit more expensive than £60.