anodes not working?

jenevers

Featured Posts

The anodes on my steel hulled boat show hardly any deterioration after 10 years in fresh water

They were purchased as being Magnesium but I'm beginning to wonder if they are Aluminium or even Zinc.

How can you tell which type they are?

How is your hull; is it pitted?

In theory, if your blacking is really very good and insulating your hull from the electrolyte (ie canal water), anodes will not deteriorate as the galvanic cell is broken by the insulating blacking.

Mark

Edited by mark99

The annodes on Gazelle were on for 12 years with very slight deterioration and no pitting in the steel hull. Thats with 2 pack epoxy coating. I did think about using glass filled epoxy but if the normal stuff lasts 12 years so why bother.

I will never re-black the whole hull again just abrade where damaged and patch in.

I had fun with my old Magnesium annodes by filing some bits off and chucking it on a fire if it burns quick and white chances are you have Magnesium annodes.

Edited by Jim Evans

I noticed while in Salthouse dock the other week my anodes were "smoking", a white bloom in the water and the odd bubble..around all the anodes.....Very odd,

I hope it has done no lasting harm!

The anodes on my steel hulled boat show hardly any deterioration after 10 years in fresh water

They were purchased as being Magnesium but I'm beginning to wonder if they are Aluminium or even Zinc.

How can you tell which type they are?

Generally, ive found that fresh water anodes come as welded variety and salty water ones come as bolt on....not saying its gospel , it just what ive come across over the years

I noticed while in Salthouse dock the other week my anodes were "smoking", a white bloom in the water and the odd bubble..around all the anodes.....Very odd,

I hope it has done no lasting harm!

Is the water salty or brackish in the dock?

If so your mags wouldnt have appreciated it.

We have changed to aluminium anodes this year as our mags were harldy lasting the year as we are moving in between fresh water, salt water and brackish water all of the time.

• Greenie 1

Is the water salty or brackish in the dock?

If so your mags wouldnt have appreciated it.

We have changed to aluminium anodes this year as our mags were harldy lasting the year as we are moving in between fresh water, salt water and brackish water all of the time.

Salthouse Dock is saltwater,

thanks for the info, back on the L&L. So no more "blooming" worry!!