Living afloat....How much?

andy b

Featured Posts

My Wife and I are thinking of retiring early, selling the house and cruising for 8-9 months per year, marina for the rest. We have only had a narrowboat for 1 year (short breaks) and would like to get some idea of the total cost of income required for living afloat. The live aboard will be 58ft.

A friend of mine and his wife have an income of around £14,000 and say that they live comfortably off this amount. (Everything is included, mooring, maintenance, housekeeping, occasional pub meals, etc)

Any advice would be helpfull!

:(-->

QUOTE(andy b @ Sep 22 2006, 06:21 PM) 76952[/snapback]

My Wife and I are thinking of retiring early, selling the house and cruising for 8-9 months per year, marina for the rest. We have only had a narrowboat for 1 year (short breaks) and would like to get some idea of the total cost of income required for living afloat. The live aboard will be 58ft.

A friend of mine and his wife have an income of around £14,000 and say that they live comfortably off this amount. (Everything is included, mooring, maintenance, housekeeping, occasional pub meals, etc)

Any advice would be helpfull!

We plan much the same and would also be interested. We don't plan on selling our house though, but rather renting it to provide some income. One concern that I have is the possible disproportionate rise in costs of "boat living". For instance I think it is only a matter of time before diesel prices increase dramatically (lifting of derogation), and other concerns, such as threatened licence rises etc. It is hard to budget for such unknown increases, but I think it is something that has to taken into account. If one is sailing very close to the wind financially, then it could become rather uncomfortable.

It is simple, a boat costs as much as a house to run, maybe more. :(

This is not intended to fatuous, just think for a while, costs like insurance, licence can be easily found out,

the one cost that is difficult is the amount of diesel required,

The house has to be lit and heated so does the boat but instead of paying the utility companies you buy diesel

I have seen costs etc. posted on other sights and a ball park figure seems to be £5,000 per year this takes into account, for instance, blacking every other year,routine maintenance and a contingency fund for the unexpected.

The above cost will vary for instance you mention cruising for much of the year and using a 'mooring/marina' for the rest, so the costs may well vary in their proportion.

Perhaps some one on here keeps records and will be willing to divulge.

I'm working on a spreadsheet of our living costs over the course of a year, so ill have an idea of what it costs for us in a few months. I think it depends on your circumstances beforehand. We used to pay very high house rental in london, our mooring and boat mortgage and license add up to under half what our rent was. Also how resourceful are you? If you can DIY, collect wood, cook on the stove you'll save money. I do think if you c.c. Your maintenance costs will be higher.though as the wear and tear will be more.

I've looked into this and here are some rough figures. Obviously it will vary according to the way you use your boat such as whether you have cassette or pump out toilet, how much you cruise, how frequently you black it, the kind of heating you have etc. My figures are for a comfortably centrally heated, well maintained boat.

The fixed costs of licence, insurance, annualised cost safety cert. £850

Engine fuel depends on hours cruised, say 600hpa at 1.5l/h at 60p/l £540

Central heating, if diesel, consumes 06l/h. Depends on hours used. For retired liveaboards it is likely to be on almost 24 hours a day in the coldest months. Say eight months at 24h/d with a duty cycle of 50% for the boiler makes about 2,900h. Cost 2,900 at 0.6l/h at 60p/l £1,044. Gas c/h would cost at least as much and possibly quite a bit more.

Maintenance: Annualised cost of blacking £250. Pump outs every two weeks at £12 a pop, £312. Other sundry maintenance say £250pa. Total annualised maintenance £812

Total of the above £3,246.

What for many will be the single largest payment of all, mooring, must be added. Costs for this vary a lot. If you have a permanent marina berth then this might cost £2,500 pa including shoreline electricity. A canalside slot will be a lot less. If you are a continuous cruiser you avoid it completely. In your case with a winter mooring only, add in say £1,000 for that. I am ignoring council tax because this applies principally to those with residential moorings which are a minority.

Grand annual total £5,746 to include a permanent marina mooring at £2,500. Someone paying a mooring at £1,000pa would total £4,246 and the figures can be adjusted similarly for any particular mooring costs.

Clearly, it is possible to get away with less than this. Some costs cannot be reduced but those that can are heating if you are prepared to rough it with just a solid fuel stove without ch and burn free wood in it if you can find enough. Similarly if you don't cruise much you'll save on engine fuel. But I'm assuming you wish to live in comfort comparable to a heated house and travel the system a bit. Pump out charges can be avoided by having a cassette toilet.

I would add that these costs are very likely to rise a lot faster than general inflation. A guide I would suggest is 10% pa, which doubles the total every seven years.

On top of all that of course comes the normal living expenses that you'd have anywhere such as food and the rest of it according to your lifestyle.

My conclusion is that is is certainly possible at present to live on a boat comfortably on a net income after tax of £14,000pa. However, and this is very important, is that income likely to rise at the same rate as boat costs by say 10%pa as I suggest? Probably not I'd guess and if not, the safety margin between your income and your expenses will gradually erode. You need to try and ensure that there doesn't come a point in the rest of your boating lifetime where you can no longer afford to live on the boat in the style you wish.

A further point is that giving up property to live on a boat could be a risky move if you find at some stage for any reason that you need to return to a land property. Given the way that property prices tend to rise long term, you could be in the difficult position of not being able to afford to do so if you haven't got sufficient capital. You can't rely on the appreciation of the boat value which may not happen at all. For the first few years it will likely lose value.

regards

Steve

Somewhat off topic, not how much but 'Do I really want to'.

I have never lived on my boat nor have I seriously considered doing so, but on a few occasions I have spent long weekends and even spent the Christmas holidays aboard a few times. Never a problem with the cold, or even getting wet now and again but what did bug me was the very few hours of daylight in a British winter. Getting dark at 4pm, not light again until 8.30 am.

I know very well that after a glorious summer such as the one we seem to be still experiencing the thought of living permanently on a boat is very tempting but I would advise everyone who is contemplating the move, live on your boat for 4 or 5 weeks during December to March and see how you get on with it.

In my experience having known a number of folk who have made the move there is a massive loss of enthusiasm after the first winter afloat with a hasty move back to bricks and mortar and with presumably not an insignificant financial cost, if there is a way back at all.

Edited by John Orentas

Somewhat off topic, not how much but 'Do I really want to'.

I have never lived on my boat nor have I seriously considered doing so, but on a few occasions I have spent long weekends and even spent the Christmas holidays aboard a few times. Never a problem with the cold, or even getting wet now and again but what did bug me was the very few hours of daylight in a British winter. Getting dark at 4pm, not light again until 8.30 am.

I know very well that after a glorious summer such as the one we seem to be still experiencing the thought of living permanently on a boat is very tempting but I would advise everyone who is contemplating the move, live on your boat for 4 or 5 weeks during December to March and see how you get on with it.

In my experience having known a number of folk who have made the move there is a massive loss of enthusiasm after the first winter afloat with a hasty move back to bricks and mortar and with presumably not an insignificant financial cost, if there is a way back at all.

Very wise words. We have spent winter holidays aboard our boats and our findings have been much the same. It doesn't bother me, but others I have spoken to find the short days can actually make them feel depressed. That is one reason that I will not part with our rabbit hutch of a house.

The days are still shorter if you live in a house though, no?

Good idea to do a trial run in winter though. I'm sure the constant battle with cold and damp isn't everyone's cup of tea. Then again, snuggling by the stove at night is a nice consolation.

Edited by Breals

Snip from Anhars post:

My conclusion is that is is certainly possible at present to live on a boat comfortably on a net income after tax of £14,000pa. However, and this is very important, is that income likely to rise at the same rate as boat costs by say 10%pa as I suggest? Probably not I'd guess and if not, the safety margin between your income and your expenses will gradually erode. You need to try and ensure that there doesn't come a point in the rest of your boating lifetime where you can no longer afford to live on the boat in the style you wish.

These are my concerns. I fully agree also that a marina mooring would be one of the biggest expenditures. we would hope to CC, but that said is that sustainable as we age? A marina might be a sensible option for when we are too old to CC in winter.

You can also get winter moorings if you do CC. You can then chose an area you would like to be in, and then pay for a winter mooring, either through BW, a marina or a club. Depending where you spend the winter will depend on how lonely/depressed you get. WIth a good community around, you often find people chilling out on eachother boats of an evening or in the boozer. Or at least, that is what I found.

You can also get winter moorings if you do CC. You can then chose an area you would like to be in, and then pay for a winter mooring, either through BW, a marina or a club. Depending where you spend the winter will depend on how lonely/depressed you get. WIth a good community around, you often find people chilling out on eachother boats of an evening or in the boozer. Or at least, that is what I found.

... and thanks to you Bones, that's what I'm finding too! I'm so glad I took up that offer - my only problem now is whether I'll be able to relinquish the mooring at the end of March and go CC as was my intention (and run back to the mooring at the end of September 2007). Ah well; I suppose I'll see how things work out. (Have to change my forum name, of course :( )

John

... and thanks to you Bones, that's what I'm finding too! I'm so glad I took up that offer - my only problem now is whether I'll be able to relinquish the mooring at the end of March and go CC as was my intention (and run back to the mooring at the end of September 2007). Ah well; I suppose I'll see how things work out. (Have to change my forum name, of course :( )

John

Hello John and Bones

I'm not convinced by the winter marina mooring argument compared with having a permanent marina berth. At my local marina, they charge £142/metre per year. For six months they charge £82/m. Thus a 57' boat, which is 17.38m, would cost £2,468 a year for a permanent berth. To rent one for the six months September to March would cost £1,425, a difference of £1,043. However you then lose the mooring when you leave.

If you have a permanent mooring, then you are certain of having it available in winter or any time. If alternatively you forego a permanent mooring and just cruise around for six months then seek a winter only mooring, there is no guarantee you would find one there, or anywhere else either. The marina(s) in the area where you wish moor for winter could easily be full, given the present demand for spaces.

Thus by paying a full year you buy the certainty of having an available berth and it is does not cost twice the six months rate. Of course this sort of decision depends on how much money you have but it is a point worth considering in my opinion for those able to afford it.

regards

Steve

Edited by anhar

Thanks for all the replies. There is certainly much to consider. Obviously the best option is to maintain a house and cruise for eight months or so. Financially it would certainly stretch the budget.

To retire Quite early (50 or so) to enjoy life on the cut whilst still well able to meet the demands of CC obviously reduces the build up of finances, (pension etc). I suppose you have to get the balance right.

I suppose its Saturday and theres always the Lottery :(

I assume all replies so far are not from permanent live aboards....some input from these would be greatly appreciated.

QUOTE(andy b @ Sep 23 2006, 07:30 PM) 77050[/snapback]

Thanks for all the replies. There is certainly much to consider. Obviously the best option is to maintain a house and cruise for eight months or so. Financially it would certainly stretch the budget.

To retire Quite early (50 or so) to enjoy life on the cut whilst still well able to meet the demands of CC obviously reduces the build up of finances, (pension etc). I suppose you have to get the balance right.

I assume all replies so far are not from permanent live aboards....some input from these would be greatly appreciated.

My daughter and I have been aboard since April and I have been collating living figures for us since then. I won't repeat them but I've found that they are very close to those given by Steve. This would be slightly less than our costs in the previous six months when we rented a house but only by a few hundred pounds. Obviously our heating costs will rise in winter, likewise our electricity costs. This will mean that overall the costs will be higher. Obviously, you can be ingenious with money-saving tricks but the prospect of struggling to live cheaply in winter does not appeal in the long term.

I do have friends who CC and for the most part they find it's delightful, but I have known them to struggle at times when equipment fails particularly in winter. My own experience with equipment failures suggests that I would also struggle without the security of a marina mooring. Moreover, things can go wrong very rapidly onboard; a tight budget could severely hamper your chances of sorting out the problem successfully.

Sorry to be downbeat but it's best to consider these things early in the process. Although having said all of this I won't change it for the world. Good luck .........

Jill

:(--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(andy b @ Sep 23 2006, 07:30 PM) 77050[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Obviously the best option is to maintain a house and cruise for eight months or so. Financially it would certainly stretch the budget.

My elderly in-laws used to fly off to warmer climes (Tunisia) for a couple of months every winter and reckoned that, booked a year in advance, it was almost as cheap as heating their rambling old house for the coldest months, january/february.

On renting out your house, my parents have tried that. Tennants have done everything from skipping the place to refusing to pay the rent or move out. Took 9 months to evict one of them as they had a young child and a baby. The last straw was the tennant that turned the place into a brothel.......

Edited by Hairy-Neil

QUOTE(andy b @ Sep 23 2006, 07:30 PM) 77050[/snapback]

I liveaboard permanently and wouldn't argue with the figures given. I live on my boat firstly because I like it & secondly because I don't have a flat or house & can't afford one.

I'm seriously thinking about leaving my mooring because of the planned cruising licence increases. Personally I find the whole thing depressing. I earn a small salary and I'm wondering what they expect me to do? Sell the boat & live in a tent?

We live aboard out boat too.

The costs are not all that different from running a house, and anyone that thinks it's cheaper is certianly not looking a the figures!

We have just been told out electricity is to go up, our moorings will also go up soon, plus the planned license increases as well. It's going to be tough as we are on a very tight budget indeed!

It's not something we took the decision to do lightly, and it's not for everyone.

I wouldn't swap it for the world, but it's going to be an interesting struggle paying for all these things every month.

What I do (because it';s just the way I am), is put aside a monthly amount in order to cover things like serivce for the boat, cost for the BW license (it's paid up until March when we will then DD every month), BSC costs when it comes up, costs for fuel, maintenance, gas etc, so I have an amount ready for when things come up. Then I pay monthly for the moorings we have, monthly for electricity, and then usual things like food etc.

It's not easy, and there is very little left in the pot, but then I do have four of us to support, so it makes life a bit harder.

I would say if I can live on my salary and support three people, then you can do it on 14,000, and as long as you are careful, you should be fine, but definitely try it out for a few months.

The ideals of summer are slowly going, and living through a winter will help as it's the most expensive time of the year after all.

Good luck if you do though. The information you get the better. There are plenty of good folks on here to help out and loads of good books on living aboard as well.

:(--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(andy b @ Sep 23 2006, 07:30 PM) 77050[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Obviously the best option is to maintain a house and cruise for eight months or so. Financially it would certainly stretch the budget.

My elderly in-laws used to fly off to warmer climes (Tunisia) for a couple of months every winter and reckoned that, booked a year in advance, it was almost as cheap as heating their rambling old house for the coldest months, january/february.

On renting out your house, my parents have tried that. Tennants have done everything from skipping the place to refusing to pay the rent or move out. Took 9 months to evict one of them as they had a young child and a baby. The last straw was the tennant that turned the place into a brothel.......

No change there for me. My teenage kids have done all that and more in our house, and we still live in it.

On a more serious note, your point is a good one. A lot of people have had bad experiences when renting out properties.

On a more serious note, your point is a good one. A lot of people have had bad experiences when renting out properties.

Yeah, that's a concern of ours. My partner and I hope to live aboard and CC when we retire but will need an additional top-up of income which rental would provide. At the moment I/we live aboard for a couple of months per year in total, much of it in winter, which can be the best time of year. But, I've done a lot of work on boat and house and would be loathe to rent either. One option we might consider is to "sell" the house to one of those companies who let you still live in it and profit only after you're dead. Subletting is problably not allowed but it would be useful to have somewhere to return to if illness or infirmity should strike and would provide us with extra capital (which would have to last).

Noah

Hello John and Bones

I'm not convinced by the winter marina mooring argument compared with having a permanent marina berth. At my local marina, they charge £142/metre per year. For six months they charge £82/m. Thus a 57' boat, which is 17.38m, would cost £2,468 a year for a permanent berth. To rent one for the six months September to March would cost £1,425, a difference of £1,043. However you then lose the mooring when you leave.

If you have a permanent mooring, then you are certain of having it available in winter or any time. If alternatively you forego a permanent mooring and just cruise around for six months then seek a winter only mooring, there is no guarantee you would find one there, or anywhere else either. The marina(s) in the area where you wish moor for winter could easily be full, given the present demand for spaces.

Thus by paying a full year you buy the certainty of having an available berth and it is does not cost twice the six months rate. Of course this sort of decision depends on how much money you have but it is a point worth considering in my opinion for those able to afford it.

regards

Steve

When I mentioned winter moorings, I was not neccesarily talking about marina moorings, but linear ones - which I find totally glorious. They were also very cheap in comparison to marinas if you are on a budget.

I now live in a different area and have to live in a marina. John has been CCing during the summer and is now wintering in a marina, and if I am right the figures for a winter mooring are about a third of the usual annual fee which makes a huge difference to one's budget. It obviously depends where you are based as to the costs of various moorings. Often in Marinas there is space during winter which isn't available in summer as boats are taken out of the water - but whether there is space may well depend on the length of the boat.

Edited by Bones

Yeah, that's a concern of ours. My partner and I hope to live aboard and CC when we retire but will need an additional top-up of income which rental would provide. At the moment I/we live aboard for a couple of months per year in total, much of it in winter, which can be the best time of year. But, I've done a lot of work on boat and house and would be loathe to rent either. One option we might consider is to "sell" the house to one of those companies who let you still live in it and profit only after you're dead. Subletting is problably not allowed but it would be useful to have somewhere to return to if illness or infirmity should strike and would provide us with extra capital (which would have to last).

Noah

Noah

If you go down this line, please, please, please be careful. There are many loopholes.

On a slightly different tack, I looked into selling my house to a company that guaranteed to buy it (they have advertised on tv) but the maximum amount they would pay (for any property) was only 80% of the market value.

I do not know your circumstances but would 'down sizing' be a possible way, you could rent it out and maybe have some cash to invest (safely)

Noah

If you go down this line, please, please, please be careful. There are many loopholes.

On a slightly different tack, I looked into selling my house to a company that guaranteed to buy it (they have advertised on tv) but the maximum amount they would pay (for any property) was only 80% of the market value.

I do not know your circumstances but would 'down sizing' be a possible way, you could rent it out and maybe have some cash to invest (safely)

Hi Bottle

I appreciate the warning. You're right, there's many pitfalls with this type of deal, but it's at least several years away yet for us. Possibly by then there will be a scheme of this kind that is less of a rip off and maybe it will be better regulated. It is just an alternative to rental that we would consider. We don't have any dependants so there may be nobody to fight over a house when we are gone and so it won't matter then what value we were paid. What it would mean is that we would have the funds (albeit only 80% of house value) to cruise off into the sunset, knowing that, if we should become unable to continue, we would not have the problem of finding the cash to rent or buy a home on land.

Noah

Hi all just about to go full time as of Nov 1st, I will be back and forth for the next month from Dorset To Lancs

( 5hrs each way bah)

I have found the posts interesting but would like to add my thoughts

For the last 4 years I have been renting a small house, currently over £500 a month (£24000) , this has all come out of my savings as my pension does not cover it. I should have bought a £24000 boat then shouldnt I!!!!

Nevertheless I am learning slowly and have spent my remaining savings on a boat, so at least I wont be paying any rent as such. I am not sure how everybody is calculating the annual cost but my forecast is £8000, with no repayment fees for a boat, I expect some people have a loan etc. This includes running a car. I am sure I have included most things but will report in 12 months on the actualities of it all.

I have no debts and some back up savings, I dont have a lavish lifestyle and am already living on my own and understand the difficulties especially during the long winter months. The mooring I will be staying at untill the foreseeable future (contemplating cc'ing) has free electric in the reasonable monthly cost. An added bonus.

I have also made a mental note that you could consider £3000 for alcohol (4 pints at £2 per night on average - just numbers not a reality), I am currently a non drinker. Mmmmm must get a job.

Any thoughts

Edited by steaming floater

...Nevertheless I am learning slowly and have spent my remaining savings on a boat, so at least I wont be paying any rent as such. I am not sure how everybody is calculating the annual cost but my forecast is £8000, with no repayment fees for a boat, I expect some people have a loan etc. This includes running a car. I am sure I have included most things but will report in 12 months on the actualities of it all.

I have no debts and some back up savings, I dont have a lavish lifestyle and am already living on my own and understand the difficulties especially during the long winter months. The mooring I will be staying at untill the foreseeable future (contemplating cc'ing) has free electric in the reasonable monthly cost. An added bonus.

I have also made a mental note that you could consider £3000 for alcohol (4 pints at £2 per night on average - just numbers not a reality), I am currently a non drinker. Mmmmm must get a job.

Any thoughts

I laid out in my message above how I was calculating the costs which do not include loan repayments. Such an encumbrance is personal to the owner, not to the cost of running the boat and anyway I suspect that most liveaboards over fifty, who comprise 80% of boaters, won't have loans. Anyone who wants to estimate costs including loan repayments can simply add the figure to my above conclusions.

If you take my above total of roughly £6,000pa for a marina moored boat, then £8,000pa should cover the cost of your boat and car at present levels of running expenses. It is though critical to consider inflation as I advised. I suspect that many new owners don't look at this properly and maybe delude themselves into thinking that if they can afford it now with only a small margin between their income and expenses then they'll be alright. The sad likelihood though is that boat running expenses will increase at a far greater rate than general inflation. I've advised people to build in say 10%pa which doubles costs in seven years.

Therefore, unless you can rely on your income increasing at the same rate, which is pretty unlikely for most older and retired people, the margin will be gradually whittled away. That might not matter if your income is so big that for the rest of your life the margin will always be comfortably large enough even if it is shrinking. But for a lot of older boaters not on huge incomes it might get to the point sooner than they think that they are in financial difficulties and have to cut back in some ways.

Here are some figures that I've crunched for readers. Take the income of £14,000pa clear, mentioned earlier. Compare it with the £6,000pa boat running costs I worked out, this leaves a margin of £8,000 initially for other living expenses.

Assume the £6,000 increases by 10%pa whilst the £14,000 income increases by say an inflation linked 3% as many pensions do. See what happens down the line:

After five years, the boat costs have increased to about £9,700pa. The income has risen to £16,200. Our boater therefore now has a reduced margin of £6,500. On top of that, because it's five years later, that £6,500 will be worth less than it was at the start because prices in general for food etc. will have risen.

After seven years, boat costs are now £11,700pa. The income is £17,200. The margin is £5,500 but that's worth even less than it was at the start.

Ten years from the start if our boaters are still at it, their annual costs are now £15,600pa. Their income is £18,800 leaving a margin of £3,200 but again this is not worth less than as it was ten years ago.

And by year 13 the boat costs are about equal to the income and start to overtake it. Long before that though of course they would discover that they simply cannot afford to live because the margin will have been eroded to an impossibly low level.

Now maybe boat costs won't carry on rising at 10%. Maybe. But you have to be realistic and conservative if you want to try and ensure a financially worry free liveaboard retirement.

regards

Steve

Edited by anhar

I laid out in my message above how I was calculating the costs etc......

You are certainly knowledgable on this subject, too much detail for my liking though.

For my own experience I am planning on a 7 year forecast, then my forces pension will increase substantially. The next point of interest after that is pension age 65 for yet another cash injection. Should I still be "aboard" I guess I have my finances sorted even with inflatiion.

All this is well and good but, I could get run over or move back on land or many other things, too numerous to dwell on. So I think one should really consider short term implications of the thing and not get too caught up in the future.

Ask yourself where you expected to be now from the point of view of 5 or 10 years ago, I suspect you would be a country mile out, I know I would.

I have moved approx every 2 years since I was 20 and lived in countless locations, I have a serious case of wanderlust which is the reason I am now going to liveaboard 300 miles from my current home. Mostly my moving was due to the nature of military life but I still continue the tradition having moved 3 times in the last 4 years. My hope is that having a boat I can satisfy this by just upping sticks every time I feel the urge.

Factor in my other land based expenses:-

Cost of setting up and closing down letting agents fees plus a silly fee every 6 months.

Moving furniture

Selling furniture that wont fit in

Buying it back when the next place doesnt have it

Redirection of mail

Mid term adjustments to car insurance

Cost to inform all relevant utility suppliers

Having to front 6 months rent because I have retired early and dont have a job as security (therefore loss of earnings on savings)

Dare I say TV licence and Council tax.sticky subject!!!!

I just hope I have got it right but concede that it doesnt really matter, its all just a path on the road of life, another adventure to behold.

To sum up, dont put it off JUST DO IT, worry about it later, if you aint got enough wedge, get another job, ebay your assetts meet a rich person, the options are endless,

I am rabbitting on

Keep it real.