Look what I have gone and done!

Alanji

Featured Posts

He's a lovely looking dog, I'm sure he will be a great companion.

Our tri colour border collie Murphy joined us when he was 10 months old too, he's now 8 and we've enjoyed every minute of all that time, they really are as clever and as loyal as people say. He's lived aboard with us for 6 years and loves it, hopefully your lad will be the same

Les

Training is vital and make sure he learns not to chase cats or any livestock. Your dogs behaviour is your responsibility, remember not every body likes dogs and if your dog causes problems for others then that can only lead to more dislike of dogs.

• Greenie 2

Thanks for all the posts. Signal really awful today, keeps dropping. Hopefully can post this short message. Will try to post reply in morning. He is sooooo intelligent.

James - him not me

Wrote this offline in Word and will post as soon as internet signal lasts long enough – latest Huawei dongle 12 ft up my TV mast – sometimes 5 bars on H+ today, more usually zilch (three).

He and I spent a very sleepless Monday night. Me in the chair, dozing, him requiring lots of reassurance. Despite walks every couple of hours a few more accidents – and nothing outside!

Good news – He put his front paws on bottom stern step this morning and I immediately took him out – success! And it looks like he may have had some training – responds to ‘sit’. Couple more accidents but I think (hope) it may be just because of the runs, which I think (hope) have just been caused by stress/excitement.

He is so hungry (very thin) and every time I open anything or rustle a paper or even roll a ciggie he jumps up hoping it is food. I have to show him empty hands to convince him. Also “hunting” and trying to chew various items – even ate a small piece of paper. I had to lock him in the bathroom (not pleasant for either of us), when eating, as he just kept on jumping up at the table. Should be resolved when he gets food as he can get some at same time as me. Fortunately I have bought a rubber ball and a rope tugger which at least satisfy his chewing. Good news is he is chewing very little except his toys. Cannot resist and give him the rawhide chew but rescue centre advise that even this should be withheld. This is heart-breaking!

More good news – puts paws on top step this evening and goes out to do a wee. I give him praise and a tiny reward. Very wet, so I introduce him to how to get paws cleaned and get a bit drier on a cruiser stern. Another very small reward for his good acceptance.

He keeps going back to steps – I twig it - he now knows my jacket hanging up is where the treats are kept. Jacket into cupboard stops his quest.

Two minutes later he goes and sits on the top step! I cannot ignore that request. Wet gear (as in still wet gear) quickly on again and out we go. Up and down a couple of hundred yards back and forth – nothing. Copes much better with cleaning/drying procedure, gets down steps, turns and says “where is my reward?”. How intelligent is this guy? He gets me out on a wild goose chase cause it might result in food. It is going to be a battle to see who comes off best! And I suspect I know the answer!

I am now suspecting that he may have been starting to be trained as a sheepdog. I know the herding instinct is inbred but it is just his attitude to geese, cows, ducks and even moving boats. He also seems to respond to “Come On” and “Go On”. Not sure if these are terms normally used, I know “Come By” is used. At least he has not been trained in Welsh!

Good nights since with full night’s sleep (me) and no problems (him).

Asked to go out – 15 minutes up and down – no result until 5 minutes after we get back on boat but only a dribble.

Starved Tuesday and only small amounts of rice and chicken – not a grain gets left and licks the bowl for ages, poor chap. Fingers crossed.

Replying to some of the posts (thanks for the replies and encouragement):

I previously owned a rough collie who had a very bad stomach, due to being kept with pigs in their sty, so I am well used to the problems. It is obviously more difficult on a boat, though.

Lead went inside the holder not the dog!

Thanks for tip on 'Stain and Odour Remover'

I bought a harness at the rescue centre which will suffice until he grows out of it when I will get an improved model such as that suggested.

Nice to meet you, DillyDally, even if it had to be brief.

Checked on danger of rawhide chews thanks

Thanks to Pykebird who reassured me on squatting to pee – may be a dominance thing – one of her bitches used to lift her leg to ensure she got the highest pee!

Agree he is mostly (if not all) border collie although someone I met was definite he was Welsh collie – could be as we are on border with Wales.

UPDATE

Dongle gave up completely – dropped signal continuously. After 40 very frustrating minutes on the phone to India they eventually agreed to send a replacement (Thanks to Pam for the loan of her phone as mine is residing on the canal bottom). Of course, the dongle immediately started working!

I have been very, very lucky in my choice of dog (as I was with my last one). He is a great little fellow and getting over having to be reassured every 5 minutes (bit of an exaggeration). Knows his name (James) already and responding to commands. Tries to herd everything that moves. Great problem with cars – wants to herd them as well. Now asking to go out - mostly just because he wants to go out, not to do anything!

More piccies once I get a replacement phone.

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely dog, we have a rescue border crossed with greyhound (?) very intelligent, she is reading last Sundays `Observer` as I write, a bit of arrowroot will help her poorly innards.