Newbie wants to Liveaboard?

ceryni

Featured Posts

Would that Oscar Wilde was still alive, it would stop him turning in his grave at the piss poor, travesty of a fop this troll is.

WTF are you on about? I see a genuine newby with unbridled enthusiasm and interest in our way of life.

Where on earth does your unwarranted comment come from?

• Greenie 1

Would that Oscar Wilde was still alive, it would stop him turning in his grave at the piss poor, travesty of a fop this troll is.

You really need to bone up on the definition of an internet troll......

Anyways, hi Tom and welcome to the forum :) We have some grumpy gits here, but presumably you have some on the paintballing forum as well.

We've lived aboard for 4 years on a 57' narrowboat - you're more than welcome to visit us. PM me if you're interested.

I'd also suggest you attend one of the many banters on offer. There's a banter section in the virtual pub. A young member, Foxtrot, turned up at the Gnosall banter and we took him for a cruise on our boat and he got to talk to lots of boaters, both liveaboard and leisure.

Best of luck!

Anyways, hi Tom and welcome to the forum smile.png We have some grumpy gits here, but presumably you have some on the paintballing forum as well.

We've lived aboard for 4 years on a 57' narrowboat - you're more than welcome to visit us. PM me if you're interested.

I'd also suggest you attend one of the many banters on offer. There's a banter section in the virtual pub. A young member, Foxtrot, turned up at the Gnosall banter and we took him for a cruise on our boat and he got to talk to lots of boaters, both liveaboard and leisure.

Best of luck!

I'll second what Ange has said. I'm still in the "researching" stage and not (yet) a boat owner but have made most welcome at the various banters I've attended.

As for cassette vs. pump out.. we dont wanna smell it haha biggrin.png (i gather after some research that I know nothing tongue.png)

You will smell it more with a pump out than with a casette.

Pump out toilets often use macerators. Those block up. Good luck trying to clean it out when someone puts the wrong thing down the loo.

We've had casettes for 2yrs. They NEVER emit a smell in the boat and you dont have to move your boat to find a pump out station to empty it. Pump Outs also get full and make your boat tilt to one side.

Have I begun to change your mind yet ?

I have a Thetford 200. The entire family use it every day...for 2yrs....and it's still going strong.

AidenLincs has an even fancier one...looks like a Throne. :) Just the site of it made my heart sing.

I'm very happy with ky pump out boat.

Neither are as perfect as being able to flush your waste away.

I'm actually getting quite excited by the idea of a crossover here. Paintballeing on the canal! How cool would that be. Loads of time to eye up your opponent and then, at 3mpm you make the fatal shot.

Hmm ... is it just me

oops time for bed methinks.

I'm very happy with ky pump out boat.

Neither are as perfect as being able to flush your waste away.

I'm actually getting quite excited by the idea of a crossover here. Paintballeing on the canal! How cool would that be. Loads of time to eye up your opponent and then, at 3mpm you make the fatal shot.

Hmm ... is it just me

oops time for bed methinks.

are we allowed the high pressure rifles? Can I use purple paintballs....no real reason...just feel purplish today?

Another theing to bear in mind about living afloat on the Broads is the residential moorings issue. From what I've heard, they are like hens teeth, gold dust etc. There's more here: http://www.the-norfolk-broads.co.uk/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=47&Topic=8632

If you do find a mooring, factor in the cost of the transport on the back of a lorry (unless you find a boat within the Broads system itself)

Good luck! Living afloat is a wonderful way of life. We are on to our second boat now, having bought our first straight after graduating from uni.

HAHA you guys know about as much about paintball as I do about boats ;)

Lets not start a paintball discussion!

If I was to live on the broads, I'd be most likely to find a brokerage or a boat for sale actually in the Broads itself, but as I said. It's all in the works, researching for now.

Thanks for the advice on the toilet thing! Pump out etc. is great on a boat you rent though! from experience, but I never actually had to empty it ;) I guess I need to try both and decide which is best!

Good luck! Living afloat is a wonderful way of life. We are on to our second boat now, having bought our first straight after graduating from uni.

What was it like? Living on a boat after uni, how much did your boat cost? how did you do it?

What was it like? Living on a boat after uni, how much did your boat cost? how did you do it?

It was a baptism of fire, everything went wrong (read our archived blogs from here onwards for a flavour), but we loved it all the same. We got a marine mortgage from Royscot Larch and a marina mooring (bear in mind that you need a mooring to get a mortgage) and the boat cost £25500.

Edited by Black Ibis

Hey there Ceryni

I have a boat and I plan on living aboard when I attend University. I didnt like the thought of spending £6000 on accomadation and then flat sharing with other dirty people who dont clean up after them selves. Like you the idea that the boat is my home, will be MINE, and when sold should hopefully give me a leg up when I want to buy property and although I have come to love being on the peaceful canal my future plans/career will make living on a boat impossible.

Try and do some calculations how much you will spend on up keep per year. For me I reckon about £2000 (im on a shoestring budget, as im at college and can only work part time) on top of repayments (per annum) for things like heating, diesel, craning + blacking (2 yearly thing) etc. Other extras which i havent taken into account are internet, time taken to empty bins, cassette toilet, fill up water etc. I have an older boat, 1986, and I have spent a fair bit making it liveable; e.g. shower, fridge, bed, stove, tv, washing machine, solar, DIY cratch cover.I have learnt a lot about things which I wouldnt have ever had to do, eg plumbing electrics.

Another issue is having to move at least every 14 days in order to avoid the water police! haha unless you can afford permanent moorings?

Edited by clbrof
  • Greenie 1

Another theing to bear in mind about living afloat on the Broads is the residential moorings issue. From what I've heard, they are like hens teeth, gold dust etc. There's more here: http://www.the-norfolk-broads.co.uk/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=47&Topic=8632

If you do find a mooring, factor in the cost of the transport on the back of a lorry (unless you find a boat within the Broads system itself)

There is a small gathering near Haddiscoe Bridge on the New Cut.

There is a small gathering near Haddiscoe Bridge on the New Cut.

when?

Hey there Ceryni

I have a boat and I plan on living aboard when I attend University. I didnt like the thought of spending £6000 on accomadation and then flat sharing with other dirty people who dont clean up after them selves. Like you the idea that the boat is my home, will be MINE, and when sold should hopefully give me a leg up when I want to buy property and although I have come to love being on the peaceful canal my future plans/career will make living on a boat impossible.

Try and do some calculations how much you will spend on up keep per year. For me I reckon about £2000 (im on a shoestring budget, as im at college and can only work part time) on top of repayments (per annum) for things like heating, diesel, craning + blacking (2 yearly thing) etc. Other extras which i havent taken into account are internet, time taken to empty bins, cassette toilet, fill up water etc. I have an older boat, 1986, and I have spent a fair bit making it liveable; e.g. shower, fridge, bed, stove, tv, washing machine, solar, DIY cratch cover.I have learnt a lot about things which I wouldnt have ever had to do, eg plumbing electrics.

Another issue is having to move at least every 14 days in order to avoid the water police! haha unless you can afford permanent moorings?

That sounds excellent, and pretty much exactly what I want to do!

Depends on what work I get/find as to wether I'll be CCing or permanently mooring...

It was a baptism of fire, everything went wrong (read our archived blogs from here onwards for a flavour), but we loved it all the same. We got a marine mortgage from Royscot Larch and a marina mooring (bear in mind that you need a mooring to get a mortgage) and the boat cost £25500.

Ouch!

I really don't want to get a boat mortage, other than loving the life that i experience thus far, a KEY reason for wanting this, is so I OWN it, If I want a mortgage I'll get a flat in Colchester near home, where there is work and family. for the time being at least.

No, I really want to buy my boat outright, and improve it as i go, Solar panels, better leccy and 12v appliances, things like a TV I couldn't care less about, I dont have a TV at uni, haven't used one apart from playing games (this WILL be a sacrfice, I DO like my shooters) for 3 years.

If I get a boat, I'll love it to bits, If I could AFFORD a flat, then I might have gone that direction (but boat is far nicer and more interesting to live on! as far as my experience goes) no worries I have 2 years to go on more trips and visits and interrogate people who live on canals biggrin.png

I have a friend at uni, spoke to her today about it, who knows people who live on the canals, and after saying about how expensive it can be, she insisted it costs them FAR less overall than a house or flat would.

Edited by ceryni

You will smell it more with a pump out than with a casette.

Pump out toilets often use macerators. Those block up. Good luck trying to clean it out when someone puts the wrong thing down the loo.

We've had casettes for 2yrs. They NEVER emit a smell in the boat and you dont have to move your boat to find a pump out station to empty it. Pump Outs also get full and make your boat tilt to one side.

We have a pump out (macerator)

It NEVER smells and has never blocked up.

Yes we do gain an interesting list when the tank reaches a certain point of fullness - we always know when we are due to pump out as the cutlery draw fails to stay closed. Who needs a techical warning system?

:clapping: Chesh

My technical warning system has ceased to be reliable as I need to pump some water out of the bilge. But when it's functioning, my warning system is the bathroom door slamming in your face. That means I've got a maximum of a week left before pump out. :)

Edited by BlueStringPudding

perhaps pump out is viable, i suppose its personal preference. I doubt I'll care about a list! See what I prefer by trying out 2 different rentals first!

I would guess any boat you hire is going to have a pump out loo unless you hire a sailing boat from the Hunter fleet. even hiring a boat with a pumpout you wont get to do it.

awful joke!

We were given the option of pumping out our own tank if we filled it on my last hire boat! We were on a 6+2 berth, but only 5 passengers, so didn't need to in the end, but almost!!! (I don't know how the others filled it so fast though! haha!)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi welcome!

I'm still on dry land at the moment but looking into selling up and buying a liveaboard. My only advice at this point would be to glue yourself to the forum (check)...which you'll probably find happens beyond your control anyway hahaa...and you'll probably end up checking Apollo Duck at least 3 times a day (check) and then link to trade sellers etc and you'll soon find what your drawn to. Prices, spec, style etc will all become apparent and you'll pick up the different makes, builders, engines, layouts as you become more and more addicted to the idea!

Everyone is friendly here and there seems to be a quirky boat dwelling sense of humour which will draw you in even more! blink.png

A definite MUST is to read this post http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=44221&p=816040 by Starcoaster, I have read several times and still laughing but tinged with reality :)

If you buy your boat outright as we plan to do, you already win on the cutting costs front but its definitely got to be more about the lifestyle for me. There are definitely certain etiquette to liveaboard and consideration to other boaters, the environment and wildlife I think are a major part of life on the cut, I'm not sure I should be pointing that out (?) for if anyone wants to live on the water then those things are a given, right? Even if you opt for widebeam, you still have a more flexible lifestyle and home and holidays all rolled into one. Oh, and look up videos on youtube,

for starters ;)

I've started a little book where I've got all my requirements, tips and practicalities that I come across from reading the forum and other sources. Things crop up. You may think you've got it all sorted in your mind, then you'll see a post and you will say "oooh I never thought of that" so its worth doing. You can then look back over and over again, convincing yourself day by day that you don't want to wait any longer hahahaa! Loads of people on here have just done it without thinking twice, and for loads of people that has worked out brilliantly showing it can be done but you seem to want to get all prepared first (like we are trying to do!) .......you've come to the right place and if you're anything like us (excited!!!!) you're already living on a boat in your head anyway boat.gif

Good luck!

awful joke!

We were given the option of pumping out our own tank if we filled it on my last hire boat! We were on a 6+2 berth, but only 5 passengers, so didn't need to in the end, but almost!!! (I don't know how the others filled it so fast though! haha!)

Students? It will have been the beer and curries I expect!